More affixes on items (perhaps even uncraftable modifiers)

This is just my personal view. But corruption or item enhancement like what you’ve suggested wasn’t quite what I had in mind.

While I do think it does help make items more interesting, I’m more thinking about item drops that are themselves exciting. Like when I saw the recent project D2, memories of high runes, SOJ, maras, arachnid mesh, shako came flooding back… man. You basically don’t get that feeling with any drops in LE.

2 Likes

I think part of that may be the ease of getting any particular unique item. There are some current uniques in LE that are nice to get.

I know LE plans on having sockets, but runewords were a very fun part of itemization in D2 that maybe LE can implement.

yes its very hard to judge what the future holds when we havent seen how they plan on implementing the following things

• sockets
  • legendaries
  • eternity caches
  • memories

So if one of these systems is like rune words then im sure it will be interesting. I think the main question i would be asking myself if i was on the team is how to add all the complexity to the game to make it challenging/interesting while keeping it simple. Right now items/crafting is extremely simple which is great. PoE struggles with new players because of how complex and challenging learning the game is, some of this could be offset with tutorials in game, 3rd party websites, but whatever they do i hope its intuitively straight forward.

Yes exactly. How will EHG capture that, without copying it.

2 Likes

This was one of things I pointed out in my first, and perhaps only forum post. The loot in this game just lacks the depth that I’m used to in this genre. The whole 2 prefix / 2 suffix system feels so limited. As much as I enjoy the game, I find myself putting it down after a day or two because I’m not motivated to grind for better gear. It’s a key piece of the gameplay loop.

One of the things that made games like D2 so replayable was the loot. “Magic” items, while limited in # of affixes, could roll higher values. “Rare” items can have more and/or different affixes, but some cannot roll as high as magic items. “Unique” items had some affixes that couldn’t be obtained on other items. And then on top of that you have sockets, gems, runes, crafting, etc.

Likewise in Path of Exile, you have 6 affixes with 8 or 9 tiers, on top of “influenced” items which have their own set of build defining affixes.

I understand people are worried about power creep and complexity, but I’ll happily make that trade off for a more exciting experience.

2 Likes

I think part of it may be how generic items are in general in LE. There are 2 item slots that have class specific affixes. Even those class specifics are pretty generic though. Gear in the game doesn’t seem to have much of an impact on your character. Everyone just builds some type of defenses. Gear seems bland at the moment. Nothing really seems like it would make your character stand out.

This may not be entirely about the gear though. This could be a side effect of skill variations (character diversity) being built into the skill system (Each skill having a tree to make the skill unique). That takes a lot of space from what items could do.

Yeah, I mean it’s true you have customization from the skill trees…but that’s all pretty much done by mid game. 20 points and your tree is finished. The excitement is gone, because you know that pretty much no matter what you do the build is basically done.

That addresses both points we have made so far
Skills have way more progression and excitement than gear. Skills lose there progression much earlier than there level 20 and definitely before late game.

This is why I still recommend reworked trees with 30 levels and getting that last level at 80+

I would welcome that change. :ok_hand:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.