Make Ignite Interesting

I have a few ideas on how to make ignite an interesting mechanic, imo, instead of just “stack X amount of damage”. Since poison already has a little extra spice, in form of the more poison stacks you have on an enemy, the more effective poison is, I feel like ignite is just boring. (Btw ignite damage should probably be called something else, like “burning”, “scorching” or “flaming” since ignite is the ignition of a fire, followed by a continuous burn.)

• 1st idea:
    • If the enemy has 3 or more ignite stacks they take 25% more fire damage
    • If the enemy has 6 or more ignite stacks, ignites last 50% longer
    • If the enemy has 9 or more ignite stacks they run away in fear, for X seconds (since it's pretty terrifying to be on fire). Larger enemies or bosses should probably be less affected by this fear. (The enemy cannot be affected by this for the next 4 seconds)
  • 2nd idea:
    • When the enemy hits 5 stacks of ignite they combust, taking a large amount of fire damage. (The same enemy cannot be affected by this for the next 4 seconds)
  • 3rd idea:
    • When the enemy hits 5 stacks of ignite the fire explodes, and spreads 1 stack of ignite to nearby enemies
Please discuss. And I hope the devs see this, since I want ignite to become an interesting mechanic to play around with.

New idea to make ignite feel fun…

• Make ignite stacks interact with hits against ignited enemies.
  • Skills like Flame Reave has interactions and more damage against ignited enemies. But what if hits against ignited enemies dealt more dmg the more ignite stacks there were on that enemy?

Just one thing: You shouldn’t make only one dot intresting. If you want to make dots more intresting this should be all over the board.

Okay. I’m just throwing ideas out there for people to discuss and add to. You’re welcome to add more ideas for ignite and the other dots.
I alone don’t have to come up with all the ideas myself, and I like focusing on them one at a time. I recently posted an idea for a cold dot/condition.
I feel like bleed needs some ideas too, and poison already has something, though simple.

Sure :slight_smile: but I never felt like dots should do anything out of the ordinary right now. Your ideas are nice but I think it might make dots to potent if they have secondary effects outside of spreading them through reaplying.

My ideas could very well just be nodes on passive trees or skill trees. Like those we got on Flame Reave. Or even affixes on unique items.

I feel the first idea, where more stacks = more benefits. But as it currently sits, it would be need be something like 40+ stacks of ignite = some sort of extra benefit. Meteor shower shrapnel + ~500% ignite chance (5 stacks of ignite per hit) = over 100 stacks of ignite at any one time (my current total is 7k / ignite tick). Would be nice if once reaching 100 stacks they just burned indefinitely, like D3 Firebirds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 61 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.