Llama’s Firebrand/Flame Reave Spellblade Tankyboi

I´m playing the build SSF atm, spend 60 Level farming money for Eye of Reen gambling and was succesfull! Cleared the first 5 Timelines facetanking everything, on pretty much no resists i reached wave 64 in the arena!

If someone is interested, i made a lootfilter for this. I would suggest it from 1 to 80 or something, later on it will need some stricter rules on itembases.

https://pastebin.com/9gfKNF2n

i hope the in/export went well :smiley: If someone has good feedback: its very welcome!

1 Like

I read through your post and I immediately thought volcanus for a 2h option BUT this new change adding fire spell damage to it makes it a useless affix if you don’t plan on going some kind of hybrid build…

Yeah, I tried a Vulcanus & the crits were smaller (~120k) & slower (due to the lower attack speed of a 2-h weapon ~80% attack speed compared to ~114% for an Eye of Reen) than an Eye of Reen (~250k crits, due to +5% crit multi per stack of Reen’s Ire).

Alluvion was similar doing ~160k crits (plus whatever the Tidal Wave was doing, but that seemed to be only ~1k at best).

Few questions/remarks here :

• Why do you keep the crit nodes ? Since you have a guaranteed crit with 3 stacks of firebrand. You can reinvest all the points in the flat damage nodes of the tree
  • The versatility nodes works weirdly. With the description you’d think that you need to do 3+1 or 7+1 to guarantee the big flame reave but in fact you can do whatever number of firebrand before flame reave you’ll always have a guranteed big shot.
  • If you go blade weaver nodes in the passive tree (6 points) and you do 6 firebrands + then flame reave, you won’t need to go mana strike as the mana regen will be enough to never go dry and then you can replace mana strike with enchant. Then you’ll do around 40/50K regularly even on boss.

But as always very good build, clear, precise. Maybe I’ll switch some points after seeing that.

Edit : I’ve taken the arcane shield nodes but didn’t went for the shield stacks nodes. You took them for the armor gain ?

Ok now I see why mana strike is mandatory for your build as you went for the mana cost option for firebrand. So in your version you won’t be able to replace mana strike.

FFS I read too fast your build. Didn’t saw the enchant weapon tree. My bad

Edit 2 : Which blessings would you recommend (or did you have) on this build ?

2 Likes

To get to the +20% more damage v ignited enemies.

I was originally going up to Ashen Waste for the 40% crit multi, but now I’m not it’d be better to remove Precise Destruction & Chaos Flare and go with 2 in Slash & Burn plus 1 in Arcane Severance.

With the +1 stack per hit from Conflagrate, you will always need to do at least 2 hits (4 stacks) for a guaranteed crit from Illuminating Fire.

I’m assuming by “versatility nodes” you mean Conflagrate.

Depends. If you don’t take Charring (72% more melee damage at 6 stacks) then yes, you’d be able to take 3-6 points in Blade Weaver for 45%-90% more damage with your “spender”. It would probably be worth it if you didn’t take Conflagrate (& therefore needed to do 6 hits for 6 stacks) as well as not taking Charring. Then Firebrand would have zero mana cost, but your cycle would be 6x Firebrand + 1x Flame Reave, instead of 3x Firebrand + 1x Flame Reave + 1x Mana Strike. So you’d be doing slightly more damage (~25% more, as you’re getting a 90% more modifier but dropping the 72% modifier, so 90/72 = 1.25) but over more hits (7 instead of 5 = 40% more hits for a net 15% (?) lower dps overall).

And as you can see, I’ve already got Enchant Weapon, but I’m not using Flame Ward (with it’s up to 200% increased fire damage from the Infusion node). So if I did do your suggestion I’d swap Mana Strike for Flame Ward for a 4s burst window (on top of Enchant Weapon’s 9 of 15s burst window).

And for that you are sacrificing 4 out of 20 points (so 20% of your ressources) for nodes that does absolutely nothing for you :

• Crit nodes are useless (guaranteed crit)
  • Range node useless (guaranteed 100% range)

You gain 20% more damage vs ignited when I doubled my fire base damage. Not sure which is mathematically more advantageous though.

I meant the versatility node in the flame reave. Normally with the description it means that you need to do 3 other attacks than flame reave to have the rythm of fire triggering. I thought that it meant if you do 4 firebrand before it won’t trigger as the 4 firebrand count as flame reave use. But it is not the case.

You have shit ton of attack speed anyway it doesn’t take loing to build the stacks. And I went for the stacks refresh and duration especially for boss fight so that while you have to move and escape my stacks build is kept so when I go back into the fight I Don’t need to build stacks again and can directly launch a buffed reave and another one quickly.

Yeah, but all of the effects of arcane shield are better with 4 stacks & -50% effect (16% damage reduction compared to 10 & 32 ward/sec compared to 20).

Yup. Per my post above, it’s a small DPS gain to have Charring & not Blade Weaver. but it’s not massive.

TBH, whichever you can get. I was lucky & got an elemental resist blessing from Lagon.

If I had to choose, it might either be:
Rahyeh:
Crit multi (20-26% from the low level monolith or 27-40% from the empowered one)
Fire damage (30-50% from normal monolith or 51-80% from the empowered monolith)

Lagon:
Ele Resist (10-14% from normal, 15-20% from empowered)
Ward per sec (10-19 from normal, 20-30 from empowered)
Mana (30-50 from normal, 51-80 from empowered)

Dragon Emperor:
Block effectiveness (400-800)
All resist (8-15%)

Yes, which is why I’m now reworking it to go through Slash & Burn.

It’s 20% per point. With 3 points you get +60% more melee damage. If you double your base damage, that would be equivalent to 100% more. You’d need to increase your base fire damage by 60%, given my base damage (before the +150% added damage effectiveness & ignoring the skill’s base 15 damage) is +124, you’d need to get an additional 75/1.5 = 50 or more to be “better” than the +60% more from 3 points in Scorching Tide. 4 points in Naurcrist gives +20 & 4 points in Rending Ire gives +12 for a total of +32 base fire damage for 8 points which is considerably lower than the +50 you’d need to be equivalent to Scorching Tide. If you had a 2-h sword, you’d need even more flat fire damage.

Ah, yes. With that node, the 3 hits from Firebrand are sufficient to proc the bigger Flame Reave from Rhythm of Fire.

The only boss fight I noticed the stacks falling off would be the Dragon Emperor during it’s necrotic AoE that you need to move out of (except you don’t anymore since it “only” does ~700 damage).

Added the Lagon video & the blessings “choices”.

You are right, I forgot the base damage from the passive tree.

So the gain is not that obvious.

Yeah, if my maths is right (which it may not be), then it would be a dps loss for me (with a “low damage” 1-hander like Eye of Reen) to dump Charring & Conflagrate to pick up Blade Weaver even through it would give bigger individual hits.

But thanks for pointing out the pathing on Flame Reave, correcting that should increase the DPS. :slight_smile:

And i’ll try your pathing from slash and burn to get 40% increased vs ignited too.
So double win for us I guess. :grinning:

Added the Empowered Abomination video. Just Rahyeh to go now (and Empowered Lagon)…

And now with empowered Rahyeh.

A good thing would be to mention the mods to avoid too.
In my opinion “chance to dodge” and “crit avoidance” are 2 mods that I avoid if I can as they are very detrimental for the main mechanics of the builds (brand stacking and crit).

1 Like

Fair point. Yeah, dodge & crit are really, really bad… Glancing blow is annoying, all resists probably isn’t great & I’d try to avoid enrage as well.

Great build, really enjoying it, thanks!

Which idols you preferr? I like Reactive Orbate Glass Idol of Innervation. (Gives you Ward when hit & Ward generation)

Depends, if you want to go defensive then yes, ward when hit & ward gen are good, I go offensive & have 4x of the elemental melee damage (gleaming ornate glass idols) with any useful suffix you can get.

i’m using a variation on this build but i went for the ignite stacking/conflagration (enchant weapon node) combination that Promethean mentioned so i’m using melee elemental damage/fire damage over time ornate idols… i luckily have a hoarding problem so i had 3 of them and a semi-decent large idol to use. that combo is especially effective for the ignite stacking/conflagration version of the build because it gives you some beefy hits with the flame reave crits while boosting ignite damage so your conflagration procs are even bigger. i’m currently chewing through the level 80 timeline at level 68, only one death so far (rahyeh’s pie slices got me).

edit: also i switched from eye of reen and i’m using an axyon (implicit elemental melee damage mod can be really good) which gives me more consistent damage but smaller crits (since i don’t get the ire of reen stacks for crit multi boosts)

The Reen’s Ire buff also gives +5% fire damage over time, so in the end it might be better (and faster for more hits/crits in a given time period for more ignite stacks as well as the weapon having a very high ignite chance).