Life Leech too powerful

Just check how D3 did it. Fixed numbers of leeched/hit and % the max life leeched/hit are much easier to manage than the leech based on dmg.
The affixes can be changed to increased leech effectiveness/added leech etc. So the leech can be scaled as you gear up.
Among all those ARPGs I haven’t seen one who succeeded on the leech based on dmg. They are either too powerful in the late game(shitty early game), or simply don’t play a roll at all.
It’s very hard to do the balance…
There still could be some leech based on dmg in the game but not for every character and every skill, but only for several builds. My suggestion would be remove the leech based nodes and move them to individual skill nodes, only applying these to dot based dmg would be a good idea.

1 Like

I agree. Even on low levels the sustain of life leech feels just ridiculously strong.

Sounds like a heavy hit to Primalist shocking. They rely on it to help them and the pet(s) survive as little as they can. You do this and will be horrible. Yet Ward is still out of control and I don’t see anything about bringing it under control. It is already hard enough trying to balance the stats on the Primalist or any of the classes with it as it has to many at once. This to me just compounds the problems and I have not seen any idea of what you are going to do for Primalist if anything.

I say make alternative life gain sources viable before nerfing leech, especially for Primalist.

• Add sources of base health regen in the passive trees, especially to the early skill points. Percent increases of nothing is still nothing.

• Increase base potion heals to make “chance to find potions” a viable sustain. 150 base health at level 100 does nothing when I have 1500 health. This may be as simple as doubling the bonus to potions from character levels and/or add passives that significantly increase the bonus of potions but instead of instant heals they turn into heal over time.

• Create uniques that give healing on situational effects. Health on dodge, health on crit (already ward on crit), health on stun, etc.

• Remove some of the abundant Health on Kill passives or change them to something else. Circle of Life in Beastmaster seems like one of the worst ways to spend passive points. It seems like something that should be an option for your first 20 points in Primalist base class.

*(edit) Skill trees for healing skills also open up sustain options that allow for toning down leech.

2 Likes

Health regen or buffed up pet specific leech nodes would fix this issue. The best part of LE is most of the balancing can be done at a very specific level because of how the skills and passives work. If Primalist pets are weak that’s an entirely different discussion.

The pets are a different discussion very much and already going on. I meant more the leech is one of the only ways for Primalist to stay alive. This would hurt then much more then the others. Sentinels are just unkillable becuase reasons and Acolyte and Mage can stack so much Ward they maybas we’ll be immortal. Primalist can’t do any of that and have to use fast attack speed and leech to stay up compacted.

Well said and I echo Bunny’s statements.

Yes but that has very little to do with leech and way more to do with Primalist needing other buffs.

While I agree they need buffs. Seeing as leech is how they survive to me it has a lot to do with it.

This. There is no balance in Leech% based on Damage, because it’s the only sustain stat that scales by offensive stats. Flat Health Amount Leeched, scaled by attack speed (and possibly AoE if you don’t go the “only 1 hit per cast, no matter how many mobs were hit”-route) instead is a sustain stat that doesn’t scale with offensive stats.

I can’t imagine how there could be a possible middle-ground throughout the game, from early to late and “pushing” vs. speedfarming with leech% based on damage. It’ll always be too strong in some cases, or too weak in other cases.

I think going flat health per hit instead of leech% is the only viable way.

Leech % is fine because it’s the leech rate that makes it strong or weak. It doesn’t matter if you leech 10,000 life if you leech it at 1 life per second. This is why I made the suggestion that base leech rate should be axed and investing into leech should increase the leech rate to make it more powerful as you invest in it. This way it isn’t broken with no investment but can still scale up and get strong.

1 Like

But, wouldn’t that effectively just be health regeneration, only based on hitting things?
If you make that stronger than just health regen, increased health regen will be useless. If you make it the same or weaker, with additional prerquisites to meet (hitting a monster), you make leech useless :thinking:
I don’t really get the difference between life leech% (of base rate) and health regen% ?

Essentially yes, it’s active though as opposed to health regen which is passive. Leech should be stronger because it requires player action, however it shouldn’t be so strong that everything else is terrible in comparison (as it is now).

Lots of things are similar, protections and life/ward are all very similar as well but the small differences matter.

My 2 cents:

Life Regen: - really not worth taking any points as it’s fairly useless at this moment in time. The base regen is really really low, i suggest making Vitality increase your base HP regen by a flat amount, this could make Vitality a decent stat (as it’s currently severely underwhelming) and it fits the theme of Vitality.
This way talent points could give vitality and % increase in life regen.
It should be possible to regen from 1 HP to full HP (1-1.5k HP) in a short period of time when going full HP regen.

Potions: - Near useless in my opinon at high HP levels, seeing you can’t upgrade your potions from lvl 1 to lvl 100, they should be like in diablo3 and heal % of max HP based, this makes them equally valuable at all gear lvl’s, making potion affixes heal for more HP and perhaps when you go over 100% of your max HP it could give depending on your potion stats/class talents a temporary HP boost (or convert % of overheal to ward, but making it so you can’t stack ward while you have the potion overheal ward on you in order to stop potion ward stacking abuse). The % to find a potion and small heal increase that’ll heal you for 1/4th of your max HP or less is not really worth.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion; we’ll discuss it during a future design meeting.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to buff life regeneration as well, for characters who cannot leech, such as Summoners. It’s in terrible state now and Life Regen investment is useless as you need other stats too, like minion damage and minion health

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.