Naturally, right after making this thread, I had an idea that allowed me to update the game to the latest version. The launcher is still broken, though.
LastEpochLauncher.exe with command arguments found in
launcher-log.txt from last successful launcher run.
Some of the things I did during troubleshooting were various combinations of reinstalling, trying to run
patcher/LastEpochLauncher.exe by itself and deleting stuff. Some of those deleted things were log files. I noticed that when running the patcher, it expected some command line arguments:
2020-06-10 11:14:35.355 -04:00 [ DEBUG ] <InputArgumentsPatcherDataReader::Read> Expected the secret and installdir to be present in the command line arguments.
I remembered that I saw those somewhere. After rummaging through through my Recycle Bin I dug out
launcher-log.txt which contained the key line:
[DEBUG] Wed Apr 1 21:35:05 2020 - Preparing execute target: "D:/Games/Last Epoch/patcher/LastEpochLauncher.exe" with arguments: ("--installdir", "D:/Games/Last Epoch/app", "--lockfile", "D:/Games/Last Epoch/.lock", "--secret", "SUPERSECRETMAYBE", "--online")
So, that’s exactly what I did:
D:\Games\Last Epoch\patcher> .\LastEpochLauncher.exe --installdir "D:/Games/Last Epoch/app" --lockfile "D:/Games/Last Epoch/.lock" --secret "USEYOUROWN" --online
This got my game updated to the latest version. The launcher itself still remains broken.
I’m not sharing my secret key here because, well, it says “secret.” Hopefully this information will help those in a similar situation.
As a bonus, it seems that the last successful Launcher run I had was on April 1st. I don’t play Last Epoch every day, so I’m not sure how useful this information is.