Keen Adorned idols (5-10% chance to proc Smite when you hit with throwing attacks)

I’ve been doing some testing with my Shield Throw Void Knight & the idol that gives you a % chance to proc Smite on hit from a throwing attack & I’m not sure it’s working quite properly.

So I equipped a single idol with 5% chance & used Shield Throw with the AoE node, so that counts as 2 hits & I have 100% chance for hits to proc future strikes for 4 hits from a single Shield Throw, though they may not all count as “throwing attacks” as far as the idol proccing smite is concerned. For testing I’m waiting for the shield to return before throwing again so as to not confuse multiple procs in a short time.

So while Shield Throwing the training dummy at the end of time, on 25 procs of smite I was counting the number of throws required to proc & I got an average of 8.7 throws per proc. Therefore, if it’s a 5% chance per hit I would expect an average of 20 hits to proc smite (though my statistical understanding is a bit ropey). Now, since I’m getting anywhere up to 4 hits per throw, an average of 8.7 throws per proc (over a sample size of 25 procs) would be reasonable if each throw of Shield Throw was counting the actual shield hit plus the AoE from the Eruption node as both “hits” for proccing smite, as that would be 2 hits per throw & therefore the 20 hits would be 10 throws. This is born out by the fact that on one throw I saw 2 smites proc. That would only be possible if each throw was hitting more than once (shield hit + AoE, possibly plus the future strikes from both).

When I equipped a second idol with +6% (for a total of +11% chance), my average throws to proc was 5.4, but there were also 3 double procs.

However, that’s all against a single target. As my Shield Throw is spec’d for +4 additional ricochets & the no-cooldown 1/2 additional targets, I should be hitting a total of 1 (target) + 3 additional targets (base (2 + 4) / 2) plus however many are also hit by each AoE from the Eruption node. Therefore on a group of 4 mobs 1 throw would hit all 4 with a shield & anywhere up to all 4 mobs 4 times from the AoE for a total of 20 hits. Therefore I should be seeing a Smite proc on most throws (depending on whether I’m being screwed by RNG). However it doesn’t feel like that, even on large groups, it still feels like I’m getting a smite on every ~5 or so throws (though I’m not keeping a rigorous count so my perception could be off). But I’m not keeping the attack speed buff from Smite up all the time on mobs.

I’d appreciate it if someone who’s statistics skills are a bit more mad than mine to run the numbers…

1 Like

I am pretty sure your tests are wrong with this in mind. I don’t have the game opened in front of me but the AoE from the fire Node is not considered as a throwing attack and same for the future strike. So the only throwing hit you have is the thrown shield itself. I haven’t messed around with this idol affix so I can’t give you more information !

You may well be right, however I’ve definitely seen several double smites off a single throw (as I said, I was waiting for the shield to return before throwing again which gave enough time for a smite to happen), so something is definitely causing a second proc. It could be the fact that I’ve got 2 idols, though if the game is checking for procs per idol, then a double proc should happen approximately once every 400 throws (assuming a chance for two 5% chances is 0.05 * 0.05, again, my stats is a bit iffy).

Aoe will never proc smite, since its not a throwing attack. Future strikes have nothing to do with it too. Only initial hit with shields counts, so you multiplied by 4 you “theoretical chance”.

I agree with what you say about AoE & future strikes not proccing smite, but 3 double procs in a sample of 25 seems a bit high if it’s 2x 5% chances?

im using shield throw and 4 9% idols. I guess you were lucky, for me it procs as it should, i wouldnt say it procs too much and 25 is too small for the probability tests. You need to do at least 500 or smth for semi~accurate chance.

With only one training dummy it’s hard to make praktical tests because for starters we don’t know if the bounces can procc smite as well or only the initial throw. Therefor you need to test the shieldthrow in the field and this might get a bit out of hand ^^.
I still think we need a dedicated “Testing Ground” waypoint with lots of different dummy setups like in WoW because without an option to read out damage done and dmg taken it’s hard to realy see what’s happening.

2 Likes

Yeah, an area with multiple dummies (other than Parliament, obviously) would be very nice to test stuff (both on release to see how things feel & beta testing to see how things work).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.