Just found the game, thoughts on it

Found the game via Diablo 2 reddit. Website is beautiful. Hardcore RPG’r.

This is based of screenshots and the kickstarter video. Nothing is meant to be taking shots and just my opinions and questions on things. Lots of questions! I also understand this is still in development and I’m asking a lot of “later down the line” questions and I think that’s more than valid as an answer.

• Running animation looks awkward? Usually wouldn’t bother me at all but it stood out enough to be noticeable, especially as an animation you see a lot.
  • Is the hover over item pop-up always on or key bound or toggle? I feel like that’s something d3 actually does very well in that it doesn’t popup everything you mouse over without a prompt.
  • Having an animal companion bar at the top when not mousing over a mob seems unnecessary.
  • Do elite minions not take some affixs from there leader and/or are they not displayed for a reason?
  • How does damage reduction work? There were a few items shown off with +armor or +element protection. Is it flat reduce is it scaling vs monster level? Does armor work like D2 where it’s effectively dodge or some other variant?
  • Is there an option/binding to show/hide minions? Early D2 had this problem and having a bind/option for it worked wonders.
  • What is the little 0 about the HP number? Assume it’s a shield like PoE?
  • How does occlusion work in this game? About 26seconds into the video you can see foliage taking up camera space in maybe a less than unwanted way.
  • are potions consumables or timed resources?
  • Is there a goal for how many players a multiplayer game can have at once?
  • How do skills work? Bound to items PoE, Skill tree D2 or Pick what you like D3?
  • Item trading? Bind on drop? Trading forum page? Instanced drops? RMAH(plz no)?
  • Are items going to reflect final stats? So using a shown off example the “Titan Heart” chest piece displays 35 armor yet has a “adds 50 armour” modifier on it, not reflecting that in the main armor stat of the item. Is this yet to be implemented or as intended? I guess with that question is this the same for all items, ie swords show there base damage instead of there modified damage? While this question is already long do players need to spreadsheet things for min-maxing things like weapon bases dps or is introducing a dps display similar to d3 weapons have?
  • Is there any kind of late game planned at this point or is it more of a D2 it is what you make it?
  • Do items have any stat requirements?
  • The shattering system looks awesome and I don’t want it to be fully spoiled for me but, items in the system are split between prefix and suffix. However there is no distinction between this when just reading the item in the inventory or on the ground. Are there plans to put a distinction in so more experienced players can just mouse over it on the ground to see if it’s what their looking for?
  • Are there plans to ever ad FoW to the mini map or other map options like opacity?
  • Is there a reason the exp bar has a quarter length bar at the start lol?
  • Hardest question. What game does this feel like the most? I see a lot of influences from all over the place, even dungeon siege one with those beams of light on elite monsters.

Just wanted to change “ad” to “add” cause I can england somewhat. Couldn’t get the edit button working. takes me to a new page with nothing on it. Thought I would just note that as well.

Hi Darkquake. I think a lot of your questions will be answered if you play the demo. You can download and play it going to Discord in the public-game-demos section.

Also about the late-game (and more) you can find answers in the FAQ: https://lastepochgame.com/faq/ and in this thread I made about the end-game: https://lastepochgame.com/Forums/topic/1877/

Hi Darkquake,

Thanks for taking an interest in the game. I do encourage you to check out our discord on the main site page at the bottom and get a version of the game to try for yourself it’s actually a lot of fun for being so early in development. I’m going to try and hammer out some good(ish) answers to your questions here. We always appreciate feedback, good and bad, no need to worry about taking shots.

– Running animation - we are changing it, a lot, like a lot a lot. You’re right, it’s not done yet haha.

– Is the hover over item pop-up - very good point, we are working on that for sure, we might put it down in the corner or have it only show up when you hold a button on mouse over.

– animal companion bar at the top - it’s to see what his hp is at easier so you know if you need to heal him or not. We’ll look at it.

– elite minions affixs - the big one is the one that gets the affixes, sometimes those affixes give bonuses to their minions and some don’t

– How does damage reduction work? - this is a pretty long answer, we will be doing a dev blog explaining it all in detail. the short answer is that dodge is a full on 0 dmg dodge. armor/elemental resistances reduce by a % of the damage.

– Is there an option/binding to show/hide minions? - not yet but now that you mention it, there probably will be soon.

– What is the little 0 about the HP number? - it’s WARD. ward is very similar to PoE’s shield but instead of charging to full while idle, it decays to 0 and has no maximum. It’s something that you gain in battle from skills and it decays over time or drops when it absorbs damage.

– How does occlusion work in this game? - we’re working on it! it’s a tough one, you’ll notice that PoE just completely redid how theirs works. We are still working on ours too haha.

– are potions consumables or timed resources? - 3 charge resource which regenerates as you kill stuff - think PoE but there is only 1 and it doesn’t have cool abilities (yet)

– Is there a goal for how many players a multiplayer game can have at once? - 5 total at a time adventuring and way more in town

– How do skills work? - each class has a set skill list. You pick 5 of them to specialize in. You level up those skills as you use them. They each have a unique skill tree which changes how they work and makes them awesomer. (it’s a word now)

– Item trading? - NO RMAH! Just No! Item trading will be a thing for sure. Some items will bind to your account. Most bound items will be crafted. Most crafted items will not be bound. A small % of items will be bound.

– Are items going to reflect final stats? So using a shown off example the “Titan Heart” chest piece displays 35 armor yet has a “adds 50 armour” modifier on it, not reflecting that in the main armor stat of the item. Is this yet to be implemented or as intended? I guess with that question is this the same for all items, ie swords show there base damage instead of there modified damage? While this question is already long do players need to spreadsheet things for min-maxing things like weapon bases dps or is introducing a dps display similar to d3 weapons have? - We are striving for somewhere in between D3 and PoE for complexity in “what item is better”. Nothing you see on screen is completely finalized. Especially not the exact values of any stats of any skill/item/anything.

– Is there any kind of late game planned at this point? - Lots of late game modes planned, I think MrFredrico gave you the right place to look for this.

– Do items have any stat requirements? - Maybe. This is something we are debating. Right now, no.

– The shattering system looks awesome and I don’t want it to be fully spoiled for me but, items in the system are split between prefix and suffix. However there is no distinction between this when just reading the item in the inventory or on the ground. Are there plans to put a distinction in so more experienced players can just mouse over it on the ground to see if it’s what their looking for? - Yes, holding ALT will show if an affix is a prefix or suffix.

– Are there plans to ever ad FoW to the mini map or other map options like opacity? - Yes

– Is there a reason the exp bar has a quarter length bar at the start lol? - Nope

– Hardest question. What game does this feel like the most? - We have devs that play all of the ARPGs out there so there are influences from all of them that just find their way in naturally. Personally I think it feels like a cross between D2 and PoE the most right now. However, that will change a lot before development is over so keep and eye out.

We have a new demo version dropping on Monday Feb 12th at the latest (maybe earlier) so hop in our discord and give it a shot.

Thanks to both of the replies! I feel kind of silly not realising there was an FAQ section that answered a lot of questions well, thanks for pointing me to it.

I think all the answers were fantastic and really clear from a dev to community perspective, even openly about what’s being worked on or isn’t finalized yet, great stuff! Also there is a public demo? I wish I knew that when I first posted, I would have hunted that down so fast. Time to do that now.

New version of the demo was released last night! It’s got some awesome new features. It’s crazy though, even this morning, we have new updates that didn’t quite make it into this demo. No matter what, every release is always behind in some way haha.

Just started following the game, looks like you guys have your work cut out for you. But it looks very promising. Keep up the good work!

I think this game should have various features that will set it aside from other RPG’s. You could spice up the leveling system, or add a puzzle aspect. If none of these ideas are good, I’m sure other people have some good ideas too.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.