My Account
× My Account Media Forum Supporter Packs

Last Epoch Forums

Interested to support the game, need to know more

I am interested to know more about the game, below are a few questions I need some answers. Bear in mind that I come from playing games like Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn, so I never really experience game like Path of Exile as the always online restriction is a deal breaker for me.

1. Developer blog said this game is build with online and offline play in mind but I cannot find any more info on offline play. Is it still in the plan?

2. Developer blog suggest that the game will be balanced and build with online multiplayer in mind. Will this affect players that plays solo offline?

3. The FAQ listed a few type of end game content, will all of them be available for offline solo play or some will only be available for online multiplayer?

4. FAQ suggest that there will be an online auction house and an online microtransaction store. If I only play solo offline and I purchased a few cosmetics from the online microtransaction store, will it be available to me for solo offline play?

5. Will I be able to take my solo offline characters to online multiplayer?

6. Do I have to login and authenticate with the server all the time even for offline play?

7. Will I be able to copy my game save file from my computer to use it on other computer?

Hello @scp-2662
I made a post very similar to yours about a week ago. You went into more details with your questions than I did, but our sphere of interest is the same. I also used phrase ‘‘deal breaker for me’’ :laughing:

Anyway, I have not yet received a response from the developers ( @Sarno or someone else) even though they answered some questions about online play and game in general day or two ago. Due to this my hopes for Last Epoch and offline play have been toned down as I have decided to delay purchasing the game - at least until we get some clarification.

In the meantime I will keep an eye on your thread also as those are excellent questions and they address my concerns to a point and with much greater detail (except maybe number 5 ).

Have a nice day, cheers!

At release Last Epoch will offer both online and offline play. With few exceptions (user authentication, chat, leaderboards) the alpha is currently primarily client-side.

Could you perhaps rephrase your question?

We do not plan on making different balancing decisions for online and offline play, however we are aware that some players prefer group play, others prefer to fly solo, and others still enjoy doing both on occasion. Which you play should be decided by your preference - or current mood - and not because balance favors one or the other. That doesn’t mean we’ll get it perfect in time for 1.0, but we will continue to improve balance over time.

The FAQ lists three forms of endgame PvE content, which will be available for those playing offline and by themselves, and links to information about PvP - which naturally will not be.

No - never.

If we have time, we will implement LAN support for “offline” characters so that people playing primarily solo can still hook up with their friends (please note this isn’t a promise).

One of the main attractions of server-authorative multiplayer is the ability to group with other players without fear of them having abused local save files to create items which would be otherwise impossible, or otherwise modify things to their advantage.

We are considering the reverse - i.e. being able to duplicate an online character for offline play - however we will never permit an offline character to be played server-side.

Yes.

This is already possible - though for those on Windows Operating Systems the location of save file is perhaps inconvenient. I imagine that will be changed in future.

Sorry about that, I mixed up the information I read from the developers blog but you basically answered my question with your reply.

So I need to have internet connection to log in and authenticate with the server everytime before starting my offline play?

Also, you missed 1 question.

Hi there, 2 more questions I need information on.

Anyone can help?

I think that they are in the process of figuring all of this out, e.g. Sarno mentioned in another thread, that zone persistance is going to be handled differently for offline and online play and that it is a lot of work, so I think you have to give them some time to get a definitive answer to your questions.
And while I can understand having issues with online play, I would never play a hardcore character online for example, would it really be such an issue to just have a connection needed for authentification before you play offline ( and Sarno already mentioned this game will feature offline play at launch)?

It’s not up to me to decide when the connection is available especially when I am spending more time on sea than on land.

I just want to know that I am able to play the game any time I want.

That’s a very good reason, totally get that. Hope it will turn out ok for you then, that you can enjoy this game. Cheers.