The Wandering Spirits skill is a bit of an odd duck. The skill’s tooltip says “The damage scales with your increases to minion damage, but the spirits do not count as your minions.” That doesn’t quite seem to tell the whole story, though.
In some ways, it acts like it summons minions:
- The damage dealt by the spirits scales with your minion damage stats, and not with your own damage stats, as described in the tooltip.
- It counts as a minion skill for purposes of stuff that cares about whether you’ve used a minion skill, and even stuff that specifically cares whether you’ve summoned a minion, like the Dark Rituals passive (demonstrated here).
In other ways, the spirits don’t act like minions:
- They don’t trigger minion death events.
- They aren’t targetable by skills that can target minions, like Sacrifice.
And then there’s some that I’m just not sure of:
- Can the damage dealt by the minions leech? If so, does it use your leech amount or your minions’ leech amount? Who does the life get leeched to?
- Do the spirits use your chance to inflict status ailments, or your minions’ chance to inflict status ailments?
- Do they count as minions for stuff that cares about how many minions you have summoned, like the Unholy Trinity node for Hungering Souls?
- When they kill enemies, does it count as you killing the enemy?