How to improve Monolith Of Fate Endgame System [0.7.10c]

Why not? The lvl 100 monolith already does not have the “rare enemies …” modifiers, I assume that it would be the same for the Empowered monoliths (since they are also lvl 100). If the Empowered monoliths don’t have something extra (other than just +25% effect) then they’ll be boring. And this would hardly be a mechanical difference, just a quick popup after the boss dies “do you wish to reset this monolith?”.

1 Like

I don’t want empowered monolith to be much more than just a scaled up version.

Having things like new loot tables(which is the case already) is alredy a good thing.
Maybe certain new modifiers, just being able to occur in empowered timeliens is also ok.

But i am still not sold on the “I can farm the boss while continueing to push echoes” thing.

Most people do though have to differentiate it rather than just make is stronger make people enjoy doing it over and over

There is a lot here that I can totally agree with. There are a few items though that I would also totally disagree with lol.

Unless there is some way to reroll a mod like this then I would have to say this is DOA for me. The way skills are kinda locked down atm all it would take is one bad roll like this in an MoF to completely hose someone for a build they worked hard on without anyway at all to remedy it. While I agree that we shouldn’t be able to respecc skills whenever we want for free, I still think the way the system is set up at the moment is way too restrictive and punishing for anyone that likes to tinker and experiment with builds. Anything else that would further restrict theory-crafting would be a no go for me.

There are already a few quests like this in some of the areas where you have to kill certain mobs if I am correct. All of these others here start to feel like generic fetch and kill quests from an MMORPG. It’s not really much fun there, I don’t expect it to be any different in an ARPG. Once we get multiplayer I would like to see something maybe geared towards group play. Maybe something resembling a dungeon with multiple bosses with actual mechanics besides just dodge this or that skill/bad thing on the ground and dps them down.

Other than that there are a lot of good ideas here. The only other thing I could think of would be to possibly allow MoF to be another option for leveling new alts. If not MoF then some other gameplay mode is needed for sure. I know other streamers I have discussed this with disagree with that opinion but as long as it’s an option and not something anyone is FORCED to do then I can only see it as a plus. After leveling 4 different alts I for one am already kinda burnt out on the storyline. And before anyone says it, if you would enjoy nothing more than to spend your time replaying the story over and over and over again, that’s awesome and I am sincerely happy for you. Unfortunately, LE wasn’t made just for you, or me, or any one particular person. If we want this game and this community to grow around it we need to find ways to bring more people to it. And I can guarantee that for every one player that will just replay the story nonstop there are two that will be turned off by having to replay the same content over and over again just to try new classes. We need to work together and with the devs to find more options and more content to help the game and community grow, not ways to restrict it.

And in the end, all of this is just my humble opinion. Thanks for reading.

I think that it would be totally awesome if some timelines were added say at
  • Level 10
  • Level 25
  • Level 40
  • These lower timelines would only be available to your alts once you had completed the campaign on at least 1 character.
  • If only completely the story 1 time is considered not enough we could also limit it so that you had to complete the story with each different class 1 time to unlock it for that class so a total of 5 campaigns would need to be done so that all 5 of your classes could runs alts in the MoF instead of Story. What i mean by this is once you do campaign once with primalist all primalist alts can skip it and so fourth for the other classes.
  • Since there are passive points inside the campaign would have to find a way for alts that want to do MoF instead of Campaign to be able to get them or just make them go without but this wouldn’t be fun and basically makes every character need to do campaign to maximize.

Just some quick thoughts.

I can 100% get behind this option and it’s exactly what I have talked about in the past myself. I would love to see an “Adventure Mode” option kinda like D3 has where once you have experienced the storyline once you have the choice to level your new alts in some other mode. I would rather just start from level one though and not have to slog through having to earn the right to level in another mode as long as the storyline was done once.

I have actually given ideas for just this before in another post. Not only with passive points but the other thing we need to remember is that idols slots are also locked behind quest during the storyline as well. Both are an easy enough fix. I would just reward those passive points and idols slots at an equivalent level that you would have gotten them while playing through the storyline. For example, you get your first two idol slots when you reach the refugee at around lvl 10 or so if I recall correctly. So, once you get your alt to level 10 using whatever other level mode there is you would also get your first two idol slots and the same with passive points.

I’ve played through a handfull of HC characters over the past two weeks, and they’ve all ended in the exact same way. I first make my character and then blaze through the campaign. Progress is brisk and I have a jolly good time developing my character. Then I reach the Monolith. I finish the first timeline. The second timeline. The third timeline. Around this point I usually realize that I now have to slog through dozens of completely pointless Echo missions to reach the boss and progress to the next timeline. I give up and go to the arena, inevitably get myself killed, and then I’m done.

I think the Monolith needs a pretty radical overhaul. Many of the suggestions posted so far are minor tweaks, such as reworking the shrines to make them more interesting. I support these sorts of changes. But adding (e.g.) more interesting shrines isn’t going to change the fact that the Monolith is a mindnumbingly boring slog. It’s a fine system if you’re the sort of player who really enjoys grinding out the same map for a single item for 12 hours a day. But for everyone else, I think it needs a more enticing bait. There needs to be a clear point to this whole ordeal, or the system is simply going to push me to play something else instead.

I would consider two potential extensions of the system in particular.

The first is to ramp up the progression. I remarked elsewhere that, from the in game explanation, I really thought each individual timeline would be structured more like a branching decision-tree, where you’d be able to take different paths and reach different outcomes depending on the choices you make. There should be no more than two or three of the pointless Echo maps before you reach a clear point of interest, such as a boss or a decision-node of some sort (e.g. to lock the player on path towards one particular boss rather than another). The objective should be to make the player feel like they’re building their own timeline, in similar spirit to how PoE makes you build your own map.

The second is to ramp up the action. Add more packs with more mobs using more skills. Rework some of the older mobs and give them new abilities. Change things up and make the Monolith progressively more difficult in terms of gameplay and not just in terms of numbers. In my ideal world, once you reach the last timeline you should essentially be playing a bullet hell game where a single mistake implies the end of the run. But I realize that may not be everyone’s cup of tea, so you may not want to take it that far. But right now playing through the Monolith is essentially equivalent to playing through the first few levels of the game, just with larger health and damage pools (and without the same sense of brisk progress and character development). It’s Nightmare and Hell difficulties all over again, except worse.

I think the Monolith is an excellent idea at the conceptual level. But the current implementation is just way too dull to be a serious endgame contender for me. I realize that both of the above suggestions would require time and resources that EHG may not have. But it’s at least something to aim for to make the system more interesting for players like myself.

1 Like

While I think everyone can agree that running echoes right now gets very dull, speeding them up just to make the dullness faster doesnt fix the underlying problem. We need to construct new ideas on how to improve each echo so they are not dull and are fun inbetween the quest we do.

another idea to add
  • adding a chest in the same area as the portal stone (where you choose the affix before starting an echo)
  • in this chest you can place 1 item.
  • you can only place an item in this chest at 0 echoes
  • for every echo you do the item becomes more powerful
  • randomly gaining affixes and those affixes gaining tiers for every echo you complete
  • 100 successful monolith runs creates a maced tier 28 item with maxed rolls. The affixes were chosen by random.
  • you can take the item out of the chest at anytime but can’t put a new one in until the timeline is reset.
  • dying in the mono cause the item to be destructively fractured.
  • major risk reward.
  • you could place a unique in so that you can get the rolls towards maxed, but it would take 100 mono streak to do that.

Yes this problem does not fix all issues or make maps more fum to run but it does create a reward system so you know theres a point and feel rewarded. All numbers and rolls are subject to change for balance

I unfortunately don’t have a well developed Theory of Fun that explains exactly why I like the things I do. But what I wanted to emphasize here wasn’t just the rate of progression, but also the progression system itself. I think one of the major beauties of PoE’s mapping systems is that you’re not just playing each individual level, but also working towards a grander macro-level goal with the map itself. I don’t know why, but the map system just really ticks all of my dopamine boxes.

2 Likes

In my opinion the biggest issue Monolith of Faith fails to deliver an “End Game” experience.

While it is really cool the first time you do it and the bosses are great, it feels more like an extension of the campaing than a true end game system.

Monolith is currently a leveling system with core character progression and scripted content attached to it. Once you complete the timelines and get your desired Blessings (the best feature of Monolith BTW), there is no reason to go back.

Unlike the previous Mono (where you would intentionally chain as much timelines as you could for greater item find benefits with the risk of loosing it all), this one does not encourage that type of item farming and grind (and in my opinion that should be the major end game content’s goal) due to the bosses reseting the progress and limiting your timelines choices if you decide to ignore them.

The bosses are cool but they completly changed the goal of the gamemode.
People complain about having to do to many echoes to get to the boss…

ECHOES SHOULD BE THE THING YOU WANT TO DO!

On that note, currently, Its a pain in the ass to item find in monolith.
There are certain modifiers that you must avoid or the experience will be not fun at all.
Those modifiers are chosen from a pool. Once you get that trash modifier, you stick with it for 7 rounds, when the modifier expires, it goes to the pool again so you instantly get it again as you already grabed most of the other modifiers while that one was active. Its terrible.

Most modifiers are simply not fun.

Making the player weaker does not feel good.
Making the monsters stronger feels good.

Don’t make the player move slower, make the monsters faster.
Same goes for doge, crit avoidance, GB and all the modifiers that straight up make the player weaker without raising the difficulty.
The content will be more challenging without wanting me quit.

It is also worth mentioning that for an experienced player monolith is a joke in terms of difficulty. You can clear any timeline or boss without even trying, and you will only die to absurd modifier combinations that have no counterplay.

While the regular mono can stay how it is, LEGENDARY mono should be a BIG jump in difficulty that should come with BIG rewards, for those who are ready and whiling to take the challenge. A player must feel “oh shit, maybe I need to farm more in normal” when they step on legendary for the first time in order for the grind and the progress to be worth it.

Also, the promised randomly generated levels are a must for release IMO.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.