High GPU usage

Hi guys, love the game !!!
For some reason my GPU is always on 100%, settings on Medium and Vsync on, specs:
Ryzen 1500x
8gb ram
RX 580 8gb

1 Like

Hi there!

Thanks so much for supporting us.

We’re aware that GPU load is abnormally high at present, and there are multiple specific changes planned which should reduce this. Unfortunately during the interim it may just be a case of lowering settings if you do need to reduce the load on your GPU.

Hi,

currently when the gfx load caps, the game starts to stutter and becomes unplayable (which takes place after about 10 mins of gameplay regardless of zone/map).I play on 1280x960 with the lowest settings possible and lowering res and settings doesn’t help.

It’s probably my potato laptop gfx, but I can still run e.g. Grim Dawn on that same res on high settings without any hiccups - I understand that optimizing takes a lot of time (and GD is a polished product), but any news on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried enabling Vertical Sync?

Yep just tried, it runs a bit more stable (around 15-20 min) but then the stutter begins again.

How are the CPU and GPU temperatures when the stutter starts?

Download, install, and run HWMonitor. Leave it in the background while playing the game for a while - then when you start to have issues, check the Max temperatures and see how they are. Once we know what kind of temperatures you’re seeing we can go from there.

Thanks, will do

Ok, so I in the advanced graphic settings, I disabled everything on the right side (Bloom, Depth of Field etc.) and no freezes/major stutter after about an hour of play on 1280x960.

Temps on the GPU are around 75 C and still max or near max GPU load. It still doesn’t run as smoothly as it could but frankly at this point in development I can’t expect it to. Main thing is I can keep playing :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your swift reply & help!

75c is personally uncomfortable high, and could be the reason for the poor performance over time… Do you have afterburner installed? If not please do and research a good aggressive fan curve to maintain lower temps.

hi i all so have this problem and i know you prob fix im just letting you know i have a ryzen 5 2600 8 gb at 2933 and rx 580 xfx 8gb love the game and keep working at it i did put it on ulta then lowered it down each step and all it does is increase the fps and lower graphics

Getting the Same problem with a ryzen 7 and a 1660 GTX 6gb. Ultra settings go for 80%gpu usage and 100% CPU usage … Vero low settings go for 37% CPU usage and 100% CPU usage with 80 grade temperature

One and a half years later and we still have the same problem…

Hey… Welcome to the forum… This is a bit of a necro post… I would suggest you start your own thread…

A short answer to your statement - LE is still in Early Access and performance optimisations are still ongoing… Even though your hardware should be ok , I would NOT recommend running this game with maxed out settings - it will cause problems… Until the optimisations etc are dealt with, running it at low settings with framerate limiting and disabling things like anti-alisasing will make the game play MUCH better and prevent your system from burning down the house.

@Salendrus

Hey! Just wondering why you messaged me and told me to leave and uninstall the game. I have only defended it and tried to help people understand the mechanics they don’t understand.

I just picked up the game in March 2021 and I’m having the same issue. GTX 1080 and even when I limit the FPS to 60 on medium settings my GPU usage stays at 100%. If I drop down to 45 FPS GPU usage varies between 80% and 100%.

Where the fixes ever put in game? Are there more on the way?

Hey… Welcome to the forum… You really should post in your own thread (this one is definitely a necro) but in the interests of helping …

There are plenty of fixes in the game - performance gets a little better with each major patch - the latest 0.8 patch improved certain situations by 5-10fps and fixed fps drops on some maps. Obviously performance is not where it should be but they are working on it all the time… Key here is that if you push the eye-candy in favour of fps, the problems are more pronounced.

By comparison for example… I have an i5-7500/1060/16gm ram and I am able to play the game at 1080p with everything on low or very low with vsync on and I am getting 40-60fps (depending on mobs numbers/effects etc) with my GPU usage hovering around 70-80%. I honestly think the game looks fine with low settings and CPU/GPU usage stays managable with decent fps.

Without knowing your resolution, I would expect you would get much better GPU usage & fps if you dropped settings to low or very low and it would likely be hardly noticeable in terms of graphic quality while playing.

Once the game is closer to launch, I expect these issues will be dealt with and we can all toggle more settings up…