Help! I can't drop anything!

Installed the new patch. Gorgeous graphics, but some trouble for me at least…

If I click on an item, it essentially stops my game, as it doesn’t let me do anything except for drop copies of the item I’m holding. So I can’t move, and none of the settings seem to make any difference.

I also can’t pick anything up in dungeons (gold, items). And when I go to inventory, not only does a copy of the item I’m holding get placed anywhere I click, but my gold goes up by approx 10,000 / sec. Oh it also won’t let me start a new character - I can pick the class, but it doesn’t let me continue. The player.log just contains complaints about being unable to load dynamic libs for the fmod studio

To see what i’m talking about, I put a screenshot on my webserver:

I run 0.7.9b Mac

Anything else I can provide?
TYMV.
btx

Sorry about this! Could you please upload your log file? A screenshot of the tooltip for the item (showing what stats it has) would help as well.

I believe that you need my Player-prev.log - the Player.log is tiny, while this is 50M uncompressed. Gotta love thsoe compression ratios. Thank you for taking a look, I know the team’s gotta be very tired!
Player-prev.zip (372.4 KB)

Oh almost forgot, the tooltip:

Exactly same here! 0.7.9b Maclog.zip (134.6 KB)

Cryptobroiler- I wrote a script to analyze my log file and reduce it to the unique errors… I learned that my copy of LE was spending a lot of time complaining about missing libs… sounds like a dir maybe didn’t get installed. My only concern is … how come the game was able to run anyway despite having what sounds like missing shared libraries?

I think I’l ltry installing on another mac. I guess I’ll have to copy my save games over…

1 Like

@btx
Upon removing the whole working directory together with saves, i’m still not able to create a new character in this account. I tried both steam and original versions.

Unfortunately I haven’t had a ton of time to look into this issue. However, I did put in a potential fix for 0.7.9d.

Please let me know if the issue persists or not after the update, and include your log file again if it does. Thanks!

I just checked the latest patch, and no luck this time; it still does the same as best as I can tell - but I really appreciate that you’re trying stuff - I certainly understand that obscure macOS bugs are not going to be the top priority of the dev team.

Do you want an updated log?

Yes, please.

Player.log.zip (24.8 KB)

It seems like every time I try to drop something, I get a stack trace complaining about the sound subsystem, with the message about DllNotFoundException and “Rethrow as SystemNotInitializedException: [FMOD] Initialization failed” everytime it tries to play a sound. The place my save gave puts me is normally pretty quiet, so I can’t tell if it’s failing to play ANY sounds, but it definitely seems to be failing when playing the drop sound.

I’ll also mention that I loaded my save games on the Windows version of the game (0.7.9c patch) and I was able to play normally - the object that’s stuck in my characters’ hands still appears in the Windows version, but the difference is I can drop it.

And one last thing - I should mention that my Steam games on my Mac install to a non-default directory. All other versions of LE have been installed there, without incident, but figured it could be relevant.

Let me know if I can provide anything else, and thank you!

I’m also having this issue. Player.log (240.3 KB)

I tried copying the libsteam_api.bundle and fmodstudio.bundle found in Last Epoch.app/Contents/Plugins to where the logs said the game was looking for them (Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/) but it’s still having the same issues

I also tried messing around with the save file. When I edit my 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1 file to remove the entry in savedItems with "containerID":19, I am able to get rid of the item that my character is holding, but as soon as I pick anything up again it’s stuck again.

I also have the same problem. First I have noticed that there is no sound at all in game, and I cannot open stash and when killed a couple of enemies, items just started dropping all the time without stopping :slight_smile:
After restarting I am not able to drop the item that I have picked, it is being duplicated all the time.
Attached my last log.
Player.log (509.6 KB)

Seems like only MacOS issue :frowning:

Also tried to uninstall/install game, but did not help.

HMm, looking at the dtrace output, it starts to load the fmodstudio but stops reading the file after 4k and continues searching for the library elsewhere. This is the sound interface for unity, so presumably the wrong copy was included in the release distro (or something similar?)

Doh … ok we all missed the obvious:
AMFI: code signature validation failed.
AMFI: Check-fix enabled for binary ‘/Volumes/12TB/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.app/Contents/Plugins/fmodstudio.bundle/Contents/MacOS/fmodstudio’ with TeamID ‘FNXNE97GV7’, identifier ‘com.fmod.fmodstudio’: broken signature treated as unsigned without privileges. This workaround will not work for software built on or after 10.12.

(output from dmesg)

1 Like

Woo! I can confirm that the Contents/Plugins/fmodstudio.bundle / Contents/Plugins/fmodstudioL.bundle files are to blame. I pulled replacements for them from a different steam game and the game ran as expected. Here are log files from before and after I replaced the plugins: Player-prev.log (329.2 KB) (with the plugins that come as-is in a fresh re-install), and Player.log (22.3 KB) (with the replacements).The sound was working with the replacements, but stuttering significantly… However my laptop can barely run the game on good days so that might not actually mean anything.

@btx you can probably also get this workaround going until @Hackaloken pushes a fix.

EDIT: Below is a reply to @btx’s reply below – I’m limited to 3 posts, so I’m putting it here :roll_eyes:

Good to know

I guess I got lucky on the first attempt :smile:

Yep. I just renamed the fmodstudio.bundle file I found in the Plugins folder to fmodstudio_orig.bundle so I could restore easily if needed and then copied over one from a different game (specifically The Pedestrian, because it happened to be the next title in my steamapps/common directory that I new used unity). FWIW, the files inside the bundle are completely different:

Contents/Plugins/fmodstudio.bundle
├── Contents
│   ├── MacOS
│   │   ├── fmodstudio (md5: e9b81c650ef673f063f0d94ef0c2bd40)
│   │   └── fmodstudio.meta
│   └── MacOS.meta
└── Contents.meta

2 directories, 4 files

vs. the original:

Contents/Plugins/fmodstudio_orig.bundle
└── Contents
    ├── Info.plist
    ├── MacOS
    │   └── fmodstudio (md5: b15c111fa1faef8e455efa92315bcfc7)
    └── _CodeSignature
        └── CodeResources

3 directories, 3 files

There are different supported formats for the .bundles I guess… From what I understand of the way osx handles plugins & frameworks, the key is that the whole bundle needs to be copied over as-is because that’s how it embeds the signature along with the dylib.

3 Likes

Niiiice! Hopefully the extra legwork we put in saves the dev team some effort! One of the first things I thought of was of course swapping out my dylib with a known working copy… but then I searched my drives for other copies and I found like 15 unique copies of that file. I wonder if it’s generated at build time , vs. it being a lib that ships unmodified as part of Unity. I also wonder if I need to replace the fmodstudioL bundle like you did - I wasn’t getting any errors for that, but it’s possible the two files need to be the same version…

I guess I have some things to try. I’ll let y’all know what i find!

[edit] Yes!! The three things to note:

1. You can just replace fmodstudio.bundle - fmodstudioL doesn’t seem to come into play.
  2. Your replacement must be a Unity 2.0 lib - I had another copy didn’t come close to working
  3. For me at least, I had to copy the entire fmodstudio bundle over - not just the fmodstudio library inside the bundle. Does that align with what you saw, SherpaJack2?

And I guess at this point, I should mention that this is definitely not endorsed by the developers here. If you run into any trouble after doing this (until you install the patch that fixes this for everyone else) then you need to at the least be 100% clear that you’re running this nonstandard install!!! if you don’t, you’re a bad person, and Santa Claus won’t visit you.

That being said, the copy I got my fix from was a game called Pine, and the fmodstudio file (which is only PART of the bundle) has the md5 sum of: e8d8f4a680dfdcc065ce8b1c037d264c

2 Likes

Just tried doing this. I didn’t have another unity game so I downloaded a demo of Metoerfall that had it in it. The game says it was just updated 2 weeks ago so I’m assuming their Unity files were up to date.

It did not solve the problem for me, unfortunately.

Hey everyone. Thanks for your patience! I’ve corrected the issue on our end and we will be releasing a fix in 0.7.9e.

2 Likes

Hi @Hackaloken, thanks a lot, everything is working again with patch 0.7.9e.
Thanks again for quick response and fix :slight_smile: