Grim Fate node in Dread Shade not giving more damage multiplier with All For One

I’ve been trying to layer on as many buffs to a single death knight as I can and this specialization node in dread shade does not seem to be giving me any apparent benefits.
Its exact wording is
“Dread Shade affects minions in a larger area and grants more damage (multiplicative with other modifiers), but the targeted minion’s health decays more quickly.”

By default the Dread Shade buffs the minion it is on with +25% more damage, and Grim Fate does appear to function correctly, buffing the minion it is on with an additional more multiplier.

Without All For One, at a glance the hits(with 100% crit chance) average around 900 without Grim Fate and around 1200 with +30% multiplier, which is about as expected. It’s easy to see it working.

With All For One learned the targeted minion gets 100% instead of 25% more damage and no longer shares the buff with other minions. Grim Fate should still be affecting the targeted minion as usual but it isn’t.

I took a sample of a death knight’s periodic slash skill hits with just All For One and a sample of same number of hits with 2 points in Grim Fate for a +30% more multiplier. It was a sample size of 23 hits and the min-max damage range was about 600 points apart (roughly 1300-1900, avg: 1600).
I expected the averages to be fairly close(maybe within 50 points) if it didn’t work and if it did work I expected the average to be several hundred higher with +30% more.
Average Hit Results:
Without

With +30% More:

Clearly All For One is disabling Grim Fate’s buff to the targeted minion.

Thanks for the detailed report!

I believe this is actually working as intended. Grim Fate applies to all minions within the aura of Dread Shade, not just the minion you targeted. And, the targeted minion receives buffs via this aura unless the effect only applies to the targeted minion. As such, it is removed due to All For One disabling all aura buffs.

I can see how the interaction can be unintuitive, but it is consistent throughout. If you’d like to make a suggestion post about it you’re more than welcome to.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.