Graphics Performance

I have an Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition with a RTX2060 Super and a Ryzen 3700X processor. But despite that, even with the graphics in Last Epoch set to medium, when I enter a larger battle, my FPS drops to the 40s, sometimes 30s. Are future patches going to help with performance? I would have thought that with such a modern system, I could run the game at High or even Ultra graphics and maintain at least 60 FPS… Thoughts?

Optimisation is an on-going thing for the devs, so it should improve with time. Also, it’s not all graphics, since all of the calculations/AI/etc are performed on your pc certain calculation heavy situations (lots of minions, lots of AoEs/procs/etc) can bring your pc to a grinding halt.

I have a Ryzen 3800X & a RTX2070 super & it can chugg hard in those situations…

weeell, not sure about this one :smiley:

Anyway, Llama is right, performance is ongoing but it’s nothing wrong with your rig. I have yet to see one PC, which has absolutely no issue running LE.

Are you really sure its about the “battle size” and not about the specific Area/level?
I’m under the impression that the Area has the most impact on fps.

also you may want to try the following:
set overall quality to “ultra” and then set things like shadow and lightning stuff etc to lower settings.
Then you still have best textures but probably better performance

I am quite sure I have no idea what you mean about that… If you would check again…

1 Like

It’s a mixture of both. Some of it is areas that have poor performance and then other’s it is pure density or specific mobs but for me i have had much better performance this patch. I can actually run 50 to 115 fps on ultra

Something is wrong with this patch i can confirm.FPS tanking here to like 30 fps with Ryzen 7 3700x and RTX 2080 Ti.

The better the pc the worst the performance :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Same here,

the performance is still horrible/unplayable for me.
Amd Ryzen 5 2600 @ stock
ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX Vega 64 OC Gaming @ stock @ Dell S2719DGF 1440p144hz
Gigabyte Aorus ultra gaming v1 x470
Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 @ XMP1
Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB

CPU, GPU and its HBM are “chilling” at around 40°C, but the GPU HotSpot is getting up to 105°C -> shut down…

Tried all setting from low to Ultra, capped FPS at 60 etc
i cannot get more than a few hours into the game, no serious fights yet, because I am afraid that my hardware will take serious damage from this since i bought me in (to this Game/beta) back in August.

For example, POE is running fine in 1440p144fps max 70°C HotSpot

Its Unity.
Have you ever seen an optimized Unity game?
Even poe got finally its solution after almost a decade with Vulkan API and Dynamic Culling.
I wonder how the devs will realize multiplayer in this game? How does their internal testing looks like?
Rubberbanding with 4 man through a 12 fps lagfest and call it a day cause it didnt crash for 2 hours?

I really want to like this game, but if this doesnt get a proper solution till official release, Last Epoch will be DoA worse than Wolcen.

Performance low key improved this patch. I can now move away from very low graphics to high with some adjustments to shadows and terrain. It’s no longer choppy

I would think that it wouldn’t be quite that bad, since a lot of the lag/issues are caused by the number of calculations you can get in certain scenarios (lots of minions, lots of procs) & in MP they would be handled by the server not our PCs. Graphics would still be an issue but that does get improved every few patches.

It will also be interesting to see how much of everybody’s lag is cpu-based when the majority of that is offloaded to a server somewhere.

I’m running with a 2070 super & don’t have many issues with everything on ultra @ 1440.

if your PC is litterally shutting down the software is not the problem but your cooling.
It would mean your cooling is “bottlenecking” your computation power.

On the other hand 105°C is probably ok for AMD cards (is it really shutting down??) since they measure temperature differently (and somewhat better) than NVDA cards.

Also … why bothering with 144Hz? why not 60 and vsync, I mean its not a shooter?! could save you a lot of Kelvins too

weeelll…
Isn’t it the most successful game engine that ever existed?
So all the devs and producers are idiots?!

So that’s a no then?

1 Like

Hey… Those graphics cards are noteworthy for their very high power requirements and associated heat problems if you do not have very good cooling. They perform about the same as a 1080 but use more power and get much hotter… Which would explain your 105deg c crash…

Not really excusing the optimisation still required in LE but yours might be a very specific case that is compounding the impact of work EHG still has to do.

This too

I used to have the same opinion of Unity, but that was over 5 years ago now… They made huge improvements since the release of 5.6 in 2015 and I had to conceed that it was no longer the dog it used to be.

LE has lots to do on the optimisation front and MP is another kettle of fish entirely. So, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and time to do what we hope they will and I am confident (based on their performance so far) that they can.

There are tons of unity games running perfectly fine.

Unity’s problem is that you can prototype and implement different systems very very fast, but if you don’t care about performance since the beginning of the project, you will just layer problems and top of other problems to the point, where without refactoring like half of the systems you are unable to solve it. And I believe they are exactly at this point.

I have the impression that happens in a few maps. For example, at Gate of Solarum, the sound suddenly “dies” and the game almost crashes. The game freezes for a few seconds then goes back to normal. That also happens on the map in act 3 or 4 (the one at the lake) where you have to kill 2 bosses to gain two more idols slots.
But it could just be my computer (old, only medium graphics and limited to 40 fps)

That being said, performance has greatly improved over the last few months! I have a potato of a computer and for a while had to run the game on 800x600 to actually get a frame rate that didn’t look like a slideshow - now we can run @ 1280 x 700! (yay?)