Gold hyper inflation and making the games currency feel good

“This entire thread is about how limited Gold should be”

Actually no it isn’t. You and other people in this thread seem to have misunderstood my original suggestion in the OP.

I was suggesting the overall amount of gold that is dropped whilst playing is reduced to a smaller number to make the gold coins feel more valuable.

The relative gold income would be EXACTLY the same just the numbers are reduced.

For example if someone farmed hard for 1 hour (no matter if you’re a no lifer or a casual) rather than farming 500,000 gold per hour on average make it 50 gold per hour.

Gold would retain its relative value as vendors/respec would be adjusted accordingly.

The original OP had nothing to do with casual gamers vs no lifers and the suggestion has no impact on the topic.

1 Like

You’re right. My apologies for the off-topic swerve.

I’ve put most of my hours into D3 since launch, so it’s easily my best reference material regarding gold.

Back when the auction house was a thing, I didn’t really make huge amounts of progress in the end game until I either crafted some high value items or won bids for extremely low prices last second and resold for 10x what I paid. I liked being able to “shop” for good deals on things and once my auction house was set, than I would go play. Once I had less time to grind, the auction was a stable source of income to keep making progress on my build until I could barely scratch the surface of T10 before going on hiatus from the game.

That was all played on PC and by the time I got around to trying it again, it was on console and I got RoS with it. Given that legendaries and gold dropped more frequently, I immediately felt more rewarded for the hours I poured into the game and I didn’t feel starved every week waiting for items to sell and I could just enjoy the content. While it didn’t take long until I was starting to Min/Max my gear, my gold eventually became obsolete and I had hundreds of millions with nothing to really use it on. It was all about farming materials at that point.

In one case, it was extremely grindy to get your own personal drops to challenge harder content and gold was King in being able to attain viable gear for the end game.

In the second, the progression curve felt really good for a long time until it falls off drastically as soon as you are looking for slightly better rolls on the same pieces of gear and grinding out expensive resources for even further RNG chances on getting Ancient gear. It was at that point that the game fell off for me finally since I had never been a big seasonal player. I’ve always enjoyed just making my all of my Alts stronger and stronger. Even though gold became meaningless because there was no trade, I put more hours into RoS than on release because of better drops and more end game content.

With that being said, I’ve been spending all my gold on runes of shattering and stashing extra gear with certain affixes I want. Buying gear with everything I need is convenient, but it would probably be a lot cheaper to roll the stats yourself on a blank piece in comparison. At that point, it’s a value of time VS convenience that you’re paying for.

If I were to sell a piece of gear with 4 T5 affixes, I could easily see it going for 100,000 right off the bat and I don’t even think it’s unreasonable.
Runes of shattering already cost 2k a pop and limited in availability on shop visits, That’s 10k to shatter 5 pieces of gear with no guarantee you get the shards you even wanted potentially. That could cost up to 40k to shatter enough shards for each affix. Than you probably used glyphs of warding to increase your chances when forging. No market price on those yet. Can save money on picking up runes during the grind, but that’s still your time invested. Than if it goes up for bid, you have to compete already with everyone else who wants this hot piece of gear. That 100k is probably a low ball offer.

Does this make things already hyper inflated? Anyway, I’ve been rambling a lot already, lol.

It kinda is.

If a thing feels more valuable, that’s because it’s either scarcer (you have less of it) or more useful (you can use it for lots of things, or very useful things), or both.

But if the relative gold income (I assume it’s relative to outgoings) was the same, then I have the same value as I did before, therefore the value has not changed, just the numbers are smaller. Nothing actually changes. If I can currently gamble 100 items with the 50,000 gold that I collected from 10 hours of play time, but under the new scheme I can gamble 100 items with the 500 gold I collected in 10 hours of play time, how has the value of gold changed?

Nothing changed in terms of what you can afford for the gold you earn when playing 10 hours. But the gold value is 100 times higher than before.

It’s all about the feeling of value. The higher the numbers the more it feels unrealistic. In Germany there was a time of hyperinflation after the 2nd world war when the price of a bread was 105000000000 Mark. People brought their money with a pushcart to the market.

https://images.app.goo.gl/zpHXYnSxRNVTAADa9

Yeah, I think I’m skipping ahead & valuing the time played (which remains the same) instead of the currency ('cause surely it’s the value of the time played that’s most important).

Regular players don’t have any problems with the 1% because they’ll most likely never have contact with them. Sure this is a game but you have to put some effort in it. If you are jealous about the 1% you need to pump more effort into the game or get your expectations correct. If you play 10h a week you have most likely less outcome then someone who plays 70h a week that’s common sense.

The biggest Problem is the middleground that benefits from casuals who pay any price to get X so everything gets more and more expensive. If people stop to buy overpriced stuff they’ll be happy but as long as this isn’t happening people who can’t play a lot are screwed.

Sure it might get balanced arround “Everything has a said price and can be only sold by 10% over it’s price.” but this might ruin the game in a whole other way. The best way to approach this problem is to play the game and don’t care about everyone else and do your own thing at best in SSF and be done with it.

This only is a problem in games where you can get additional ingame currency via external sources. Without the possibility to trade gold this is not achievable by botting.

So people can only buy gear they can afford. Casuals can’t buy their way to success with paying high prices because they don’t have the income. This results in item prices adapt to the market.

There will be a lot of people who’ll buy overpriced stuff even without the ability to trade gold because with the AH you can actualy trade gold without problems. List item X for Y amount of gold, goldseller buys it aaaand done. There are always ways to mess arround with systems.

I still think there should be regulations like “A item with X T1(234) rolls can sell for (enter maximum ammount of gold)” so people are unable to let prices skyrocket. That’s only my view on the topic. On top of that I hope we can change this up in the Basar and don’t only sell items for gold but for shards and runes as well.

From what I’ve read so far the auctions will be anonymous so this wouldn’t work. They will have to find other ways :slight_smile:

If you sell an item for 8899321 Gold you won’t find many other items with the same tier rolls on it and with the same price. There is always a way and the system they want to use to prevent this has a lot of holes in it.
After all it’s hard to tell how things will work out at the end of the day. Personaly I would simply open a HP and sell gold dirt cheap and everyone who buys gold this way get instant banned for good ^^.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.