Game too hard for melee in Divine Era campaign

I know that there is probably a lot of people who are gonna disagree with this…
I’m an old guy… Played diablo 1 at the release… the game that created the genre. Then D2, D3, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing serie… But I’m a casual player. Not all in the stats with the builds, being on the ladder and everything. I play to have fun. And what I love the most in ARPG is leveling new characters. Tried this game and I think it has a lot of potential.

I created a paladin. Fire build with Vengence, Shield throw, Judgment, Sigil… Went very smootly, then BOOM! Divine era… I hit the wall. Impossible to kill the architect as a melee build. Have to run from a corner to the other and the adds with lightning are destroying me. My elemental resist is about 50%. Not much glancing blow or critical mitigation. But this is not only this boss. All the areas in this chapter were a nightmare. One shotted by fire, cold, lightning. Frustration…

I Know I’m probably doing something wrong with my build or in my playstyle… It went a lot better with my beastmaster. But, no fun for me there. I really hope this is gonna be fix in future patches. But for now, I’m taking a break and go back to Grim Dawn. Probably going to return at release. I know I’m probably gonna get lots of negative feedback from this. It’s OK. Dont really care, and I wont answer back. Just want to say that the majority of people who buy a game are not harcore players. Like me, they buy and enjoy a game because it’s fun. I’m just a casual player that want to have fun. Therefore, this is my last post on this site. Peace! And I really hope the best for the future development of this game.

6 Likes

Yeah, the architect fight could do with a bit of a mechanical tweak for melee builds. I hope you can find some other games that you enjoy (& let us know what they are).

2 Likes

Have you gotten to Lagon yet?

Spoiler

That fight is seriously not fun for melee builds.

2 Likes

The last act is a nightmare for all my sentinel builds personally. If I don’t spec into lunge (why wouldn’t you, but sometimes I don’t) and don’t have my elemental protections at >60% I spend way too much time on Liath and Lagon

2 Likes

TBH I think the enemies that do elemental damage are just hitting too hard. The early game is all void, necrotic, and poison. All of a sudden, you’re thrown into fire, then ice, then fire/ice/lightning and everything hits like a Mac truck.

I think the elements being largely ignored from early building, coupled with them not having a early-game foundation is causing some imbalance in enemy difficulty.

4 Likes

Definitely needs some balancing. I did notice an odd level jump when you get to the last Era. Throughout most of the game I’d be a couple levels above the map level, then suddenly in the last one I’d be behind. And at the same time all the crazy hard hitting elemental stuff mentioned occurs as well. So it’s like a double whammy. The good news is you can take the time to go back and fiddle with your defenses, and yes, you may need to “grind”/level a bit to take on some of the content. But for me that’s part of the fun, making the adjustments to take on the content.

1 Like

The Architect fight took me a few tries because I only had 30% lightning protection and zero dodge but I handled the Lagon fight by getting to level 70 something so only one of his attacks would one shot me.

These fights were definitely a change from the mindless face tanking I was doing for almost every other boss in the game.

Well, I have a level 58 Beastmaster, with some 500 health and 400-500 range of lightening and cold protection. .I tried the architect fight a few times, most of them lasted only 30 odd seconds where I would just be running around to avoid not getting hit, and then BAM, I get one shot and start again… .I just got off a 2 hour gameplay where I have taken up my lightening and cold resistances to 1400 and 900 respectively… I have had to sacrifice on my minion healths and damages to get those resistances… I will try the architect fight tomorrow… Will post again here…

You seem to be missing a movement skill. Like lunge. I’m an old man too. Following one of boardman’s builds I got my forgegaurd through w/ out a hitch.

Hi Guys, I finally managed to defeat both the Architect and Lagon in a single sitting. I focussed on increasing my resistances of cold and lightenning… I was a level 59 Beastmaster… I sacrificed a little on my minions health and damange to put in points for resistances… Earlier I was getting one shotted by the Architect, but now I finally beat them both… Please give it a little patience… I think the creators have done a pretty well balanced job for the game. It is intentionally built in a way where you adjust your playstyle for different scenarios… Absolutely loving the game… I will next build a Void Knight or Paladin (pure melee character)…

Believe it or not, Lagon was easier for me than the Architect.

I just beefed Lightning resist idols and suffixes on my gear and as a 2h, Warpath-heavy, Void Knight build it was a piece of cake.

The Architect was only harder because of the spikiness of the damage.

Melee certainly needs some tuning yet. They are nowhere near as flexible and maneuverable as casters atm. I still think the defensive system needs an overhaul to be less reliant on 2 stats to survive basically everything.

Lagon was easy for me, but I have a blood golem with taunt so I literally stood in one place the entire time and didn’t get targeted once. I could see how he could be a problem though, especially with slow attack speed

Glad I’m not the only one, I’ve been complaining in my personal discord for a couple weeks, since I came back to the game. I’m playing melee Lich and while the lightning damage area wasn’t too bad, the underwater place can suck my dick. Those fast moving sharks, the big ogre guys, and of course the Architect were all pure cancer. Even have to burned a good chunk of my crafting mats to get up to ~50% ele res, I died to the Architext two or three times. Finally beat it by constantly summoning my Blood Golem in the middle of the room to tank the lightning adds and had to use Reap in Reaper Form to get to the boss fast enough to land a few hit combo before she teleported somewhere else. It felt similar to Sirus in PoE. Definitely one of the worst designed fights in the game.

However, I haven’t really played a game that is well balanced around melee in nearly forever so I’m not sure how they can fix it. I played Fury War in WoW, Monk in FF14, Monk in D3, etc, and everytime mechanics are just to fast to deal with. Back in the day it was supposed to be ranged = glass cannon and melee = tanky, but that hasn’t held true in a few generations of games I feel. Some games, like FF14 give a global defense boost to melee, where they just always take 15% less dmg from all sources (I think?) so maybe that is something to think about. Problem is with this game is none of the classes are pure melee or pure ranged so I don’t think they could implement that.

1 Like

It’s not how hard he is. It’s how glitchy he is. There are little “gutters” so to speak that a melee character gets trapped in. You can’t respond. The character literally stops doing anything no matter what you click on. After about three or four seconds you MIGHT get back the ability to move but by that time he’s already pulled out his breath weapon and you are dead.

I’ve killed him numerous times with almost no issues, it’s actually fun and engaging, when using a spellcaster or ranged ability, but melee builds keep hitting the glitch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.