Game performance is utterly unacceptable

I’ve had LE for a month-or-2 now but each time I come to play I’m frustrated by the fact that it runs so badly - my system isn’t amazing (i5-4440/SSD/8Gb/1050Ti) but even on the lowest settings performance is so uneven I’ve zero desire to play it

There is clearly something profoundly wrong - reading through the forums I see plenty of people raising this issue but no effective solutions. The first reply usually blames the person’s PC but it’s pretty obvious the issue is wider than that - I’ve been around PC Gaming a LONG time, I know how this works

Most notable to me is that changing settings doesn’t make that much difference and it will swing around those values constantly (even if you’re walking around with no enemies - even if you walk back and forth in the same area!?) - performance even varies from one play-session to the next, even in the same area!?

I don’t like to be rude but it’s not even like the game looks that great - I’m at a loss as to why it runs so badly on low settings in particular but the fact that changing settings doesn’t help AND it’s so uneven (even when it’s clearly loaded all assets) that I’m 90% certain there’s something borked and I’d really like a fix.

Right now I regret buying-into LE because it’s just not playable - I know it’s Alpha/Beta/early but I’d say it’s unplayable - such is the performance at this point…

p.s. I’ve captured some footage/examples, I’ll upload to YT and post a link once that’s editted…

I editted some video together to demonstrate the range of FPS I get even in an area with no enemies/which has clearly “loaded”/on “Very Low” settings etc.

Settings shown at the start - I try FSWindowed and FullScreen with VSync (which struggles to hold 30!?)

Note: it’s been through Vegas and the Youtube optimiser so it’s not going to be frame-for-frame accurate and I did test without Shadowplay/capture and I get the same results so that’s not a factor (and yes, latest drivers and nothing else running)

I have the very same problems and on top of that my GPU is always at 100% load and the heat rises steadiely so I’ve uninstalled the game and hope for the best. The performence of LE is a bit on the weaker side of things.

I have the same issues. EXTREME performance issue. The latest patch seemed to make it EVEN WORSE.

I have no problem playing any other game. Recently played ArcheAge, Path of Exile, Civilization V, all of these are graphics intensive and didn’t have a problem with any of them at all. Even on “very low”, I have issues with LE.

Devs are on it. One must remember that this is a “real” beta, not one of those Publicity-early-start Kind of betas.
A whole class is missing, alongside… I think 2? Specialization trees for the existing classes, the campaign isn’t finished yet etc. etc. … no multiplayer.
My Performance is down the gutter as well… yet somehow I still enjoy the game so much x-D
(On my end switching from Very Low to Very High Graphics changes the framerate from ~25-32 down to ~14-25.)
I do hope that the Performance will increase soon as well, you just Need to make sure to not Forget that the game still is in an early development stage and far from finished, let alone polished.

I don’t believe the ‘devs are on it’ at all - I’ve only owned this for 4 months but every patch has either been the same or worse and I consider it “unplayable” at this point as it gives me a headache…

My concern is that they either don’t know how to fix it or don’t care that their game plays like shit for many of their ‘supporters’ - neither is promising is it?

This isn’t going to be a “oh we forgot to tick a box” fix - it’s likely down to inexperienced level design (excessive vertices/not designing around AO etc.) and/or sloppy shader code (that’s the only things which would explain the massive disparity in performance between levels that I can think of)

The problems exist with no enemies or NPCs on-screen so we can forget those - they exist when you’re standing-still or walking back and forth so we can eliminate caching etc.

We need more than “your PC is overheating/needs a driver update” etc. - I don’t believe they aren’t seeing this on their own testing - I don’t understand why it’s not their No1 priority tbh

What more can I say. The updates that come and their General community Engagement is honest and good IMHO, so I believe them.
The Thing is, as Long as there are sweeping changes in the game logic, optimization is a repeating process.
I think it has to do with specific textures/mapping since it is so different between different maps. Alongside very washed out textures that almost look missing when on low graphics.

One could argue about the priorities, if they should set their Focus 100% on Performance and stop programming in Terms of Content at all. Though I think that wouldn’t be of much use anyway, as artists, Designers, authors etc. probably can’t really help in Terms of Performance optimization. And since they brought in additional Performance People, that’s a good sign.

After all, I think These Devs aren’t there just for the Money, and won’t shy away from completely overhauling the underlying Systems should it become evident that the way it’s currently programmed won’t ever provide a satisfying Performance. Just a gut Feeling from their past behaviour, of Course you’re free to disagree.

One of the things which led me to buying-into LE was proactive development - they promised things and delivered them (unlike several other ARPG developers we could list)

I wasn’t prepared for a game which performs this badly tho - I’ve played plenty of Alpha/Beta games and they generally worked well enough that players could offer feedback on game systems and other issues

That’s not true for LE because it’s performance - at least for some people - is so uneven and so generally terrible that many people aren’t going to play it (no feedback, refunds, bad reviews, lowered sales)

I don’t believe they aren’t aware of this issue and I worry that they put “more content” ahead of “making the content playable” - perhaps they have a timetable and want to stick to it but they’re harming the game having it ‘for sale’ in this state.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.