First Playthrough Feedback

Hello, these are just some of my general thoughts on my first playthrough. Disclaimer, I picked up the game after grinding for a month 8+ hours a day on POE, which I’ve played for like 8 years. It kind of morphs my perception of what a game should look like/feel like. I used to mix in Diablo 3 but quit it all together years ago.

The Good:
-I never felt lost direction wise in the game. I was told where to go and I did it. May sound simple but I enjoyed that fact, some games I just feel lost or don’t have a direction.
-I liked the tells on the bosses and some of the monsters. Where if I die it’s my fault. I felt like they weren’t that difficult and took a little bit too long to kill. (I wouldn’t of minded less HP, and more damage from them.) This could’ve been just my lack of damage, as I usually play HC in most games so I worried about defenses early on never playing the game before.
-I know what killed me and I can tell for the most part what kind of damage there doing.
-In game loot filter is amazing. For some levels I tried it without and the game just didn’t feel very good, I spent more time looking at loot than killing. Once I got it right it made my gearing much easier and the game more fun. I love having tools in game. Maybe some kind of generic loot filters (class specific, etc) you all provide in-game for new players. Not everyone is going to search for one or might not want to spend the time to make their own.
-I felt like I wasn’t in early game very long, that I could see my progression and the choices I made coming together much sooner then other games. I’m not a person who enjoys slogging around in early game of any game very long and I felt the progression wasn’t bad at all. I could tell when my damage was falling off telling me to add more, I could tell when my HP was dipping enough to be concerned about resistances etc. just from general feel.

The Bad:
-Balancing 7 resistances just felt sort of clunky to me early in the game to mid game. Late game it’s not really a problem at all with different skills and modifiers. At one point I came up on a boss that had nothing but lightning damage. I hadn’t dropped anything with lightning resistance that was remotely good enough swap in. I didn’t even have lightning resistance shard to use. The boss despite lack of resist wasn’t amazingly tough as you can kind of run around to see what all there doing, but it bugged me not being able to get that resistance.
-Some areas felt like there was good density, but some areas truly lacked it. I just felt like I was walking along. Some areas shorter, some very long. In general I felt like the game lacked density of bad guys. In this type of game I want density - lots of it.
-There is no In-Game Path of Building. I’m putting this here and I’m emphasizing IN-GAME. I’m tired of 3rd party. It was hard to tell what decisions I made on gear - passives were really doing, later in the game where you can revert with gold, or craft 2nd-3rd items to test not that big of a deal, but yeah IN-GAME POB.
-The crafting system kind of seemed lackluster. I fractured some good items early in the process etc. That wasn’t a big deal to me actually liked that fact. I’m mostly concerned about end-game, long term crafting. 2 prefix - 2 suffix system just doesn’t seem like it will keep me going that long. I had some items with T6 modifiers, cool, but in a lot of way going up to t6 wasn’t that big of a deal.

A bit long winded and not really sure if anyone will read, but I typically write down my thoughts on a game in general because it’s fun for me to go back and read later on after improvements to a game. The version on my computer is actually much longer. and my points were kind of general nothing about glitches and things that just feel really unsmooth since it’s beta.

Cool game, I can’t wait to try out a few more characters and look forward to the future patches.

5 Likes

Hi @SavageSince86
Long term PoE player here aswell. Don’t worry, alot of people here read through the forum and all the topics :wink: really good feedback to the devs to see what a new player thinks about this game.

Agree, the 2nd chapter was the only weird part of the story where the pathing felt kinda weird but they did a great job with the last patch by improving the story content in chapter 2+3 and the leveling to endgame.

Also something i am really happy about in this game. We know the problems in PoE where you die and have absolutely no clue what just happened on the screen. :joy:

The lootfilter they implemented with the last big patch is absolutely amazing. The personal costumization you can do with it is really appreciated and far more advanced than the simple Grim Dawn lootfilter (even though i liked this one aswell). Normally i just downloaded the newest neversink filter for PoE because it is too complicated for me, but LE did an amazing job with this and its alot of fun to build your own one.

This is something a PoE player immediatly realizes :smiley: and i felt the same way, there are definitly some areas where mob density is too low compared to another area (some areas in chapter 8 for example have a much higher density compared to other areas in the story) And yes, i also like it when there are more mobs to fight.

I had my problems when i started the game aswell. I didnt really got a good feedback on how my build became better or not by respeccing a certain skill or passive. They improved the skill respec system by adding minimum lvls which is nice to try things out and not leveling a different skill from lvl 1 again. They will also add a better dps tooltip in the future so it will probably be easier to see build improvements. PoB in PoE is amazing and one of the best 3rd party programs ive seen. Idk if something similar ingame will come, but there are good tools like Last Epoch Tools and Tunklab right now for theorycrafting (LE tools is similar to Grim dawn tools if you used it or played the game).
About the resistances and crafting (2prefix 2suffix) people are still debating if its good or bad. For now im pretty happy with the game in its current state and i think something like this can always be worked around in the future. Imo things like Multiplayer/trade/endgame content and the rest of the missing masteries (whole rogue class) should get more attention now to finally reach the 1.0 goal. After that ,itemization can always be improved, just think back what we have been through with PoE in the last 8 years :wink:
Damn my answer became a little bit long aswell, hope you will read it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Cheers

2 Likes

I understand this completely. I feel like you have to have near perfect resists, too early, and different ones more quickly, than most games in the genre.

The initial void zones are mostly tolerable.
But once you reach the necrotic areas, you definitely need the proper resists. But then again with fire, and immediately thrown into ice, then immediately to lightning and ice, all within a few hours. This means while early leveling, you need 4 sets of resist gear capped to your level.
It’s different. Not sure how much i like it, but I recognize it and deal with it.

I think the elemental resists: fire, ice, lightning could be reduced to one stat to make it a little easier to deal with, especially for new players, but also anyone running alts through the story.

Go back further, to Diablo 2! Remember the massive hordes of spark proccing beetles? Or the dart shooting fetish hordes? Or the lightning bolt shooting ghosts?

Man…turning around a corner, or opening a door was scary sometimes.

I don’t get that feeling in this game. Most of the scary, annoying mobs are the single, giant mobs, or turrets.

My favorite mob packs in LE are the giant crabs and hordes of little crabs. And I’m not bothered by the duplicating lightning wisps. I love the sheer volumes of them you get to fight.

I also love the spider maps for the massive hordes of spiders. Except for that one damn melee spider that always runs away and hides! Lol

The beasts (dogs, bears, flies, cats) aren’t so bad, but the pack sizes could definitely be bigger.

Fuck the axe throwing Wengari and Meruna Sirens though…all they do is scatter and disengage, and they’re a pain to chase down and kill. Lol

1 Like

Oh man, pure nightmare back then, thats when i started to realize that resistances are really helpful in the game as a kid :wink:
Yeah i can feel you about the missing identity of some mob types. Some are really fun, and others are annoying to fight with. But thats something you find in every arpg i guess.

The multi-shot lightning enchanted mobs that made you think that your high attack speed build was a bad idea…

2 Likes

lol you would go through an entire inventory of potions on one pack alone!

1 Like

As you mention this: This aspect is completely missing. No small rooms with doors that are scary to open. Should be a priority suggestion :grin:

1 Like

I do feel that way when I walk into a room full of fire golems or meruna ogres >.<
But then I just run away! lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.