Firebrand: New Spellblade Skill Coming in Patch 0.7.10

Our next update, Patch 0.7.10, includes a new Spellblade skill!

A high level skill, Firebrand can be used either as a primary damage skill or as a supporting ability woven into a build using other melee skills, with which it synergizes strongly.

Default Functionality

Firebrand tooltip

Firebrand’s unspecialized tooltip

The Specialization Tree

Here’s some examples of nodes from Firebrand’s tree!

Incineration (0/1)
Your next melee attack, that is not Firebrand, consumes all stacks of Firebrand and deals more damage per stack consumed (multiplicative with other modifiers).

↘

Illuminating Fire (0/1)
        Consuming 3 or more stacks of Firebrand with Incineration guarantees a critical strike.

Fumination (0/3)
Firebrand attacks faster per stack of Firebrand, up to a maximum.

↘

Inferno (0/5)
        Stacks of Firebrand also grant Increased Fire Damage Over Time.

Firebrand has a chance to inflict Spreading Flames when hitting an ignited enemy.

(Spreading Flames deals Fire Damage Over Time and spreads to nearby enemies after
        half a second. Enemies cannot have multiple instances of Spreading Flames at once.)

Brand of Arcanus (0/1)
Stacks of Firebrand add Adaptive Spell Damage rather than Melee Fire Damage.

↘

Pyre (0/1)
        If Firebrand hits at least one enemy, it consumes 10 Mana to cast Flame Wave, a spell that
        deals Fire Damage in a line.

Crossfire (0/3)
You have global Ignite Chance per stack of Firebrand.

↘

Exothermic (0/3)
        Flame Reave consumes stacks of Firebrand to add Ignite Chance per stack consumed.

17 Likes

New favorite for sure

Time to dust of the spellblade

Ahh can’t wait to spam that one, new build inc

Already got ideas for builds utilizing this skill… nice job!

my eye of reen calls to me… this is gonna be fun

1 Like

Can’t wait to add this to my ignite spellblade. Hoping I will be able to grab Inferno and Exothermic.

Does this mean its time to say goodbye to Mana Strike ?

Seems like it might create a different playstyle from mana dump to regain mana with mana strike or focus. Build up firebrands while mana regens naturally then burn the mana on powered up abilities with the firebrands active.

Hopefully there will be a cold conversion mechanism that lets it work with Shatter Strike as well.

1 Like

Who else Dual Wield Eye of Reen here?

Seriously can’t wait for the patch. And the pre-emptive spoiler for next patch has got me even saucier.

2 Likes

Brand of Arcanus (0/1)
Stacks of Firebrand add Adaptive Spell Damage rather than Melee Fire Damage.

How exactly does adaptive spell damage help a melee attack?

1 Like

It doesn’t but I guess you combine it with a spell to stack adaptative damage with firebrand and then triggers the augmented spell.

Seems that is a strong support skill for flame reave or am I wrong ?

2 Likes

Have they said they’re removing Mana Strike in the patch preview thread given that they said they’er removing Defile, Ice Ward, Manifest Weapon, and Molten Blade?

looking forward to it :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

You didn’t understand the meaning of my question. I am quite aware that Mana Strike will not be removed from the game. My point is: Does this skill “kills” Mana Strike? Maybe it doesn’t, considering it is a high level skill.
:laughing:

Ah, I wouldn’t think so since the base Mana Strike is used differently compared to how Firebrand looks like from what they’ve shown us.

The only time the devs introduce a skill that’s objectively better in all circumstances than another skill is when they remove that other skill (bone curse/mark for death, IMO).

Not only that, you’va got an passive in spellblade that augment spell damage for each melee attack in the last 4 sec. You can esayly go for more than 500% just from this passive. So as a melee you can launch a very powerfull spell after some hit or go for “proc” spell like spark, mana storm (for mana strike) or the proc flame wave in this skill (fire aura too is a spell :wink: )

The following node “pyre” takes advantage of it, but it seems lackluster from the description. Not sure a spell being cast in a straight line would be great. Would need a great deal of positioning unless you are doing single target.

It could be pretty great though. You could spec a couple different spells for different situations. Have an AoE spell to use it and a single target spell. Maybe not worth it, but Pyre doesn’t give you a choice and it auto triggers.

Maybe there will be additional nodes that will impact the flame wave (shape, location, etc…). Hard to really judge the benefits from some nodes if you don’t have the whole skill tree.

But I do agree with you.