Hello, my char is Knight_from_the_Void created specifically during the latest patch. Currently lv97 and wave ~197 iirc.
My game was more or less “done” already by lv80,
Actually watching the druid vid from servire where he was doing 30k aoe autoattacks with literal trash t2 rolls gear and not final weapon (while i had a final weapon and multiple t5 gear and was only doing an avg 20k with a 40mana spike skill) was demoralizing and killed the game entirely for me
But since i saw i was the highest pushing VK in the current patch i decided anyway to give a last long as possible push before coming here to give my feedback. I stopped at 97 anyway as it was only a matter of timesink at this point and also because VK doesnt look mature or 100% integrated yet (currently feels like a gimped sentinel/FG with a skill echo flavour)
The skill system has lots of good ideas that create some good sinergy and gives room for some thinking.
At the same time it needs a lot of balancing work as from the trees i’ve tried the 50-75% of them seems to not be worth it or don’t scale well.
Also the system is prone to reach its limits fairly quickly, similar to grim dawn where devs literally can’t add a new class anymore, and opposite to poe where it’s easy to spam new skills and gems that then are going to work together with older stuff.
- Loot filter. Can’t wait for it to become available. It is especially needed to catch those very rare mods like inc resist prefix or the other ones. It is very hard to catch one rare mod currently.
- Crafting. Need and waiting for more crafting options. Something I think is really needed is some way to recycle those low lvl bases, either with a new rune/glyph that changes a base into another of the same, or with some bench/tool that let’s you destroy 3 bases for another of the same (cube style or recipe style) or something along the lines.
- Sovnya. It’s being said a lot around the forum. The weapon is too good or the others are too bad. Crit needs to be reworked somehow, my current char needed a sum of +400-600% inc dmg to be equivalent to the crit version, which is unreachable with current rolls.
- Endgame balance. I know balancing must be a nightmare. I personally failed to get past to 200, i saw kissmequick’s video going well past 250+ with the old VK, but it involved a lot of oneshot bursting and kiting with no tank at all. Also he must have had bis gear like 3x t5 rolls, which i am impressed at how much he must have farmed (i gave up in that field as well, given how i could push for lv100 without it anyway).
If you consider that other classes can go well over 200 with trash mods just because they nuke stuff, this means that LE also has fallen to the dmg vs tank paradox, where to reach extreme endgame dmg > tank
- Endgame farming. Waiting for more variety, more biomes, maybe endgame bosses (see Chaosbane boss hunt or PoE endgame bosses), more loot. In my experience once you get double triple t5s, the time needed for an upgrade was homungous to the point getting to 100 was enabled way before getting a single new upgrade.
The passive tree is not too bad speaking of Sentinel trees, but by the time you reach the final points (~lv75), it almost stops being useful.
Last VK passive tree additions about the skill echoes was very needed and gave spice to the VK.
VK is a real cool idea for a class, but at the same time it suffers of a big identity crysis and has a lack of support from the gear.
It is really hard to understand or to make it work together with sentinel skills.
During the playthrough many questions arise that you have to figure out:
Is it a “timewarp” class or a “not so physical” class or neither?
Does erasing strike work with the weapon phys dmg?
What weapon base and dmg type to use together with the inc void dmg of VK?
Should it be built as melee? But it has some spells as well?
As of now it is good that we can try to use as many bases as possible but at the same time the tree doesnt seem to greatly support any of them, compare it with throwing, crit, healing, and block pts in various other trees.
I made 2-3 VKs so far, one melee and one caster, below is a bit of more detailed stuff:
- As of now the class gives 50% melee void dmg plus a melee void skill. This kinda induces you to go melee at first. If you choose the path of full melee orb and void echo lose half or more their worth.
- imo sceptre spec hybrid doesn’t work because of lack of block spec in the tree (making the shield very weak compared to the FG and Paladin), because void spells are very weak anyway, and also because sovnya is just too good atm.
- Void Rifts from orb, echo and other onkill stuff. These need a big rework, as of now they have no impact even if using sceptres. The whole skill tree areas dedicated to rifts have no value compared to the rest of the trees. Consider investing on rifts on skills and doing 7k crits with vengeance and having onkill rifts critting for 200 dmg
- Void orb. I didn’t manage to make any of the branches work, even with 300% base spell wands. “Shooting orb” and “Eruption orbs” both require full investment to get there and when fully specced these don’t seem to do anything. For sure void orb as a spell does not work “off the bat” like supposedly do caster classes with their own spells. Ultimately ends up becoming specced for the protection/dmg buffs it gives
- Void Echo. I managed to find something almost working as caster main spell using the branch for +5 echoes (which is kinda fun around lv50).
The rest of the branches are not there, maybe the debuff, but still not worth the skill slot. Suffers the same problems of needing a full 15+ pts to start making it work in some different way.
- Both orb and echo “alternate branches” need to have one initial point of some kind that changes their behavious right away as primary skill without needing too many extra pts. Else they will always stay relegated as secondary skills and from there these become nothing more than buff skills, losing their worth as primary spells.
0 mana cost sentinel skills: Vengeance and Rive. As of now vengeance beats rive in every way, it deals more dmg with instant application, or it can give void essences, less dmg taken buff, global inc dmg. The only thing rive can give that vengeance can’t is that extra crit chance with strike 1.
Vengeance: Generally a good skill with lots of versatility. Maybe it is lacking a “void damage” branch. Didn’t try the dark blade path, the full dmg spec was just too good already thanks to the “more dmg” point alone.
Rive: Pretty weak in the end, needs a major rework imo. The void dmg branch is not ok at all. The strike 3 crit is a half noobtrap (unless you make some dedicated 0 crit chance build). It all comes down to the lack of a “more dmg” like vengeance. Cadence/double strike areas don’t seem that strong. Overall it loses vs vengeance even with fully buffed strike 3, also the need for 3 attacks to get the full dmg is a hindrance.
Extra: Hammer throw void spec. Needs a lot of work. Same issue as rive, the flat dmg “aura” doesn’t scale.
Rebuke void spec. Same as above, plus rebuke pts compete with defence buffs which have a hard to beat opportunity cost
To recap, the sentinel skills “void branches” need a overhaul (imo), the entry point into the void spec must be impactful to make it work right away instead of needing to spend 10+ pts before it becomes useful, like “convert all dmg into void” (think about grim dawn skill transmutes) and must become very competitive to beat defense buffs for example
VK tree. VK tree is overloaded with dmg to the point you get a summed diminishing returns (you can get past 200/300% inc dmg) and lacks defense. It would not hurt to have some extra spice like take dmg as void or something. Also some pts to fully convert dmg sources to void would work if tuned well. And the flat void dmg pts do not scale well imo.
VK gear. Really in dire need for a void base both 1h and 2h, very preferably not weak like every non sovnya base of course