Dual Wielding Coming to Last Epoch

I have to admit I’m kinda torn on what I read.
I honestly thought that dw would be rogue specfic, part for the identity of the class, part for enabling to build the passive tree and skill tree around this feature.
Now that it is extended (with restrictions) to all classes, I suppose that no passive/skill tree are going to be revamped to take that feature into account ? Or is it going to be the case ?

I take an example. There is a whole branch of the warpath skill tree that is exclusive to 2h. Is this skill tree going to be modified to have a full branch exclusive of dual wielding ?

I didn’t understand the paragraph about flat damage wih dw too. How the flat damage with dw is going to be calculated ? 100% of main hand + X% of off-hand ?
I’m not an english native speaker so maybe that’s why I didn’t get what the paragraph was explaining.

Bit premature to really make an opinion on it for the moment.

1 Like

@Grimtok Thank GOD Dual Wielding isn’t class specific. Been wanting to Dual Wield Taste of Blood’s on a Primalist for ages. Have you seen all the amazing unique 1h weapons with crazy effects this game has? If Dual Wield was Rogue only that’d be insanely stupid. Can’t wait to get my hands on DW on every class and mess with unique weapon combo’s.

I think it means the dual wielding will be for the Warlock.

you might be right, since we don’t know much about warlock yet. its description says it’s focused on curses and hexes though so i’m not sure it’ll also have a melee focus.

Dual wielding is such a nice style. I love to play this just because of the look :grin:

The restrictions are a bit harsh imho.

I get that. So you could design these kind of weapons in a way it would make dual wielding op, I guess. But wheres the difference to swords, axes and daggers? Will they be less interesting than makes because they are created with dw in mind?

I’m curious to see these item designs. Until then I’ll be not convinced that not allowing Sentinel to dual wield maces, sceptres, axes is a popular choice :blush:

But hey, it’s the first step of implementing dual wield and this is fcking welcome anyways! :innocent:

Flat damage (and all other offhand item stats) are applied just like every other stat, they apply the same in main, offhand and all other slots. If you have a rogue with 2x daggers and you swap the hands they are in, nothing changes.

3 Likes

One question too is how is implemented dw for all classes when all classes does not incentive your type of wepaon configuration the same way ?

For instance sentinel strongly incentive you to go 1h + shield or 2h as some skill tree are revolving around it and passives nodes have different bonuses depending on your choices.

Other classes don’t gives a damn about it. So how do you tackle this issue ?

Edit : So what is the particular strenght of dw ? In terms of flat damage I understand it is going to be 2h > dw > 1h +whatever (and maybe not sure of that cause some dw combination can get you higher flat damage than 2h).

Is the strenght of dw goign to rely on ailments by applying double stacks compared to 1h ? Considering those builds are sometimes absurdly strong with 1 weapon how is that managed with 2 ?

The overall question is, as the game is now, I clearly see the difference of strenght and mechanics between 2h and 1h. With dw I have trouble seeing it beyond doing absurdly op combos of doubling your main weapon. Maybe I’m just lacking info right now so my interrogation will maybe not relevant anymore in 2 weeks.

1 Like

You can allow classes to dual wield# but there will be skills and combos that favour a specific item build.

You mentioned Warpath. Dial wielding with warpath will already be a huge boost. But the tree only buffs 2h weapons.

Other skills or mechanics buff the use of a shield.

I don’t think there are plans to make dual wield a supported build option for every skill that is in the game.

So imho the rogue fantasy of being the absolute best class for utilizing dual wield still is untouched. Because I asume there might be a lot if class specific buffs in rogue skills an passives :wink::wink:

That will be honestly a good choice, allowing all classes for dw but makes the rogue skill and passive tree really taking it to another level of specialization/power.

Help me! I dont get this - is there an easier way to explain - best would be with numbers…
Split? Trade off? per-class basis?

Thx!

DW is cool, but I always found it tricky to work out what damage actually occurs. There’s tons of stuff like that in LE tho so I suppose it’s consistent lol.

No, there’s the Iron Reach (area)/Whirling Blades (hit damage)/Unchained (channel cost) line of skill nodes that buffs Warpath without having a requirement, as does Void Spiral through to Abyssal Tempest. The only bit that does require 2-handers is the line of nodes to the bottom left.

I never said something different, my Llama. Just the only weapon style that is buffed is 2h. Other weapon types can be used but there are no specific nodes that give bonuses.

My point there, and I think it applies for sentinel particularly as other classes don’t have such distinction between your weapon style :

If you take just the passive tree of sentinel, the game tells you “Eh if you go 1h + shield you know you can get armor stacks or life or increased damage etc on block. But you know if go 2h you can have those specific nodes too or the bonuses of that nodes with 2h now become X times those”.

You can even via some skill tree have cross synergy with block and 2h I think.
So the big picture of the passive skill tree gives an impression of well thought and integrated differenciation between the weapon style (1h +shield vs 2h).

Now if you drop dw without revamping this or adding something here and there, it would feels less “integrated” in the class than 2 previous styles. Just like a “take 2x your weapon and have fun”. Which could be fine too I guess.

I can’t wait to try it! :heart_eyes:

This sounds like a good thing! Cant wait to try it and find out! I mean at the very least its just more ways to play right?! Choice is never bad

Choice is always bad. Especially with parking spaces.

1 Like

The only bad choice associated with parking spaces is when there’s not to chose from. Poor sorc

I’m not sure there’s any “class fantasy” where sorcerer’s dual wield, but I think the Acolyte should be able to with daggers. For the occultist-caster-who-wants-to-cut-your-heart-out-and-sacrifice-it-to-their-dark-gods “class fantasy”…

Given the option id dw prophecy wands and cast 2 spells at a time any day of the week :slight_smile: so at oeast 1 fantasy lives