Damage guide for beginners (completed) - HolyCoffee

Hmm i might be wrong, this have always been my believe. And just to clarify, what i mean about it being multiplicative is, that the flat damage and base dmg in the skill, get %increased “inside” of the skill.
Like if you have 100 base dmg, 50% increased dmg (in the passive nodes) and 100% increased damage on gear.
The math will be (100*1.50)*2 = 300
But now you have giving me doubt about it. Thanks for pointing it out. If i found out, that it is not the case, i will definently change it. If you are pretty sure thats not how it works, i will go ahead and change it. I know, you know your stuff :smiley:

edit: I just took a look in the formulas:
Modifided damage dealt = (1+LocalincreaseModifiers - Local Reduce modifies)*(1+global modifiers………)*Total base damage

• Local Increase/Reduction modifiers which include only those gained from nodes on the specific skill that is dealing damage.

If that’s from the wiki I’ve got my concerns about that as some of the formulae look, off.

For example, here, it talks about damage on crit:
BaseDamageOnCrit = BaseDamage * Critical Strike Multiplier
Which is fine, however if you then scroll down to just above the “Damage Modifiers” section, it gives:
TotalBaseDamage = (BaseDamage * BaseDamageMultiplier * CriticalStrikeMultiplier) + (AddedDamage * AddedDamageEffectiveness)
That implies that a) Crit Multi is used for non-crits (which I’m sure it’s not) & b)flat Added Damage doesn’t get increased by crits (which is possible, but incredibly odd!).

I can see where you’ve taken your comment about damage modifiers within the skill passives being a separate source of increased/decreased which are multiplied separately.

Yea i can see what you mean. But i also base it on my testing in game. If 100% increased damage in a passive skill (from spell) would be the samme as 100% increased damage on gear/masterie points- not having specialized in a skill, would mean very little on an minmax character since you have so high %increased damage usually 200-600% depending on how high you push your damage. And in my findings, the damage in a skill, seems to be increasing my overall damage much more than just simple %increased damage from the masterie. But i could be wrong.

I would say this is why we need a skill DPS screen, but I suspect I’m begining to sound like a broken record at this point.

Not that that would stop me…

4 Likes

Ahahahah yea. Which is why, i tryed to make this guide with some golden rules. just atleast to maybe make it a bit simpler for newer players. that now have played around, and now starting to minmax their character :smiley:

It is i fact true that modifiers on skills are multiplicative with modifiers from gear and passives. That has always been the case, but it isn’t explained anywhere yet.

2 Likes

Thanks mate for clarifying! <3 Danish love <3

1 Like

We definitely need the source code now! And somebody that can make use of it. :rofl:

I tried to fix that wiki page some - if you read further, you see that “total base damage” is then used in the damage calculation part, which explains that skill node modifiers are multiplicative with gear.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just a bit odd that it starts with the crit damage.

Yeah, I just clarified the text but didn’t reorder anything, if I have time I’ll rewrite it as a draft and see if people find the new version clearer.

I would also mention the value of poison in this post. Adding poison at 100% or greater values, is incredibly helpful and is very very powerful

2 Likes

Yes good point! My plan is problably to make a new topic for ailment damage, since it scales so differently compared to hit damage :slight_smile:

I think poison while it does scale differently is not needed to be scaled particularly much to be insanely effective. I kinda expect it to be nerfed really hard due to how crazy it is

Yea, there have been a lot of talking about that. Maybe plague staff is the root to the problem, since it give such a high %poison chance. Although i think the main reason why poison seems so good, is because of how well it thrive in arena. Poison get increased damage in longer fights, where normal hit damage is just the same. Here it ofc. meant to use shred and protections removal for hit, but i believe due to balancing issues, EHG have a hard time making it good. If they made it to good, the shred effect would be the same, as it is right now for poison :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why, i hope we see some kind of %health as protections on bosses (outside of monolith). So you can increase you characters single target without, increasing the overall damage. Right now, if you want to increase your damage, you can almost only increase your overall damage. A lot of skills have good clear but lack single target - for these skills particular, it would be aawesome to be able to invest in single target.

1 Like

the plague bearers staff alongside the fact that poison getting more and more damage per stack is part of the issue. Bleed and ignite struggle to feel good where as poison its reletively easy to apply 6-10 stacks in a very very short time. Since bleed and ignite dont have any special thing about them or any kind of support like that, they feel very weak in comparison.
My lich can apply something like 50 with a single transplant cast with the rip bloods and explosions its pretty silly.

1 Like

Yea i agree! I hope though, they never will stop the scaling for each stack, since it a quite interesting mechanic, and i hope bleed and ignite with get some different but special effects to them to. To add som flavour. Like bleed could remove armor to - haha or something like that. There is a reason why i am not devolopper :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s not the staff, it’s purely due to the fact that poison gets % increased damage per stack. I’ve done some spreadsheets to show this.

2 Likes

Yea i have actually seen those spreadsheets, they were really awesome. But the way i am seeing it, if you are limitting how much stacks people can apply (now its 250% increase poison chance on hit, on the weopen) - you will also stop that insane scaling. When that is said, i do believe poison is maybe a bit overtuned at the moment in terms of how good the scaling is on it. But i still believe that lot of the problems with poison is caused by the staff, since it makes other, unintended characters, be able to use poison - in setups the devs have never balanced around. Like devouring orb setup. (Thank god abyssal echoe cant applie ailments haha :D))

Edit: Although i will say this. I am not master at poison or ailment at all. I have mostly beeing playing around hit damage and crit, since it suits my playstyle more :)!

1 Like

The staff just exasperates the problem because it allows any class to get 300% poison chance for the low low price of your weapon and belt slot. and this is suddenly all the damage you will ever need.

3 Likes