Crafting/Fracturing Mechanic

Can I just say that most of the “fractures at 90%” is due to the inherent 1/10 chance. It is actually supposed to be that frequent.(which is the problem)

You tend to hover at 95 then 90 then 85 when starting out, this is actually a 27% chance of fracture when you combine each roll. No wonder everyone complains that they get a fracture at a high %. The more times you try to craft the more likely it gets that you are to get a fracture along the way, it would be this way even if instability was removed entirely.

With this crafting system to get anything good you need to get lucky 5-10 times in a row with the crafting AFTER getting lucky with a drop that has the right affixes. Even with a ton of grinding for gear/shards you may never see results due to bad luck, bricking tons of items along the way - this will have a psychological effect over the long run, most likely a negative one.

There are other games that do not have this issue to such an extent yet have a decent crafting system, they do this by either requiring a good deal of resources and/or by making the rng not prevent further crafting(such as PoE, where you can keep trying to get a good roll, in exchange for crafting materials- or chronicon, which just costs a lot of money to reroll until you get the right affixes then a lot to get them to the max)

The crafting system in this game punishes players for using it instead of rewarding them for spending time grinding. The fact that it is framed as “this is your chance of NOT bricking your item” instead of “this is your chance of getting something good” is probably the source of most players complaints.

1 Like

I think I’m on board with @doombybbr .

While I enjoy the gambling aspect of making your good gear better, there is a point to which it is a punishment system and not a reward system.

I would bet that by release the “damaging” or “destructive” fractures will be a ghost story we tell the noobs that never played beta.

Not being able to enchant up an item is punitive enough, let alone it becoming completely unusable.

This is why I still am holding on to the very few Minion Reflect (Splintering) and Minion DOT damage (Sorrowful) shards I have. I’m not going to use them until i get a purple that is worth using them on.

We shouldn’t be encouraged to hoard our shards for that ONE item that is so very unlikely to drop.

You state that the player experiences being many times “lucky”( which I assume is a good thing) and then a single time “unlucky” - why are you discounting the many times over a single time and how do you reach the inference of the overall experience being negative?

This is mathematical inadequacy and statistical illiteracy amplified by availability heuristic.

My solution to this problem or at least the starting point is to hide the numbers - in fact I will make a brave statement right now and state that in some day in the future the numbers will be removed from the crafting screen - it’s simply inevitable.

1 Like

While you are likely correct, you are talking about “normal” people & statistics are difficult for “normal” people.

That would, unfortunately, be even worse, you’d be removing all “player agency” & knowledge & just replacing it with a system where the player gets hit by a (metaphorical) stick randomly with no warning. If you think the “WTF, my item just fractured” posts are bad now, just you wait till the “WTF, my item just fractured with no warning & for no apparent reason” posts start coming with that suggestion. It’d be like giving a child a cute puppy, then taking it away after a random number of “interactions” (strokes, cuddles, throwing a toy for it, etc).

Unless you were just making a psychologist joke.

I am sorry, I understand your reply to doom, but don’t think I understand your response regarding doombybbr’s statement. I’m not sure you/doom/or I even understand what doom was trying to iterate lol.

I believe he’s saying you can have thousands and thousands of drops, and then, from those drops, have to get lucky more than a few times to find decent base items to craft on. THEN you must get lucky again on the craft itself. At least, I think this is what doom mean. The amount of RNG regarding crafting is astounding, but I like that this game has this approach. Its… different. I do like it, but I can see why most wouldn’t.

I don’t know how he would answer your question about the experience being negative ultimately, but I will say it is indeed a negative one.

His math is off, but to some, that’s likely how it feels, despite not actually being.

I don’t know though, I feel a lot of talk about the crafting system is more negative than positive. I wonder how the devs feel about this and am curious how things will turn out ultimately. I feel your solution fixes nothing, merely shrouds it from view. Sweeping dirt under a rug vs cleaning it. Keep aliens from public view. etc. Just some thoughts I have on things.

(posted quick at work so sorry for missed statements/grammar!)

e1: Llama beat me to it!

Yeah, that’s what Mike’s post is about:

It is working properly, but people seem to be a lot more pissed off about it than they want.

Yeah, Mike’s post really makes me comfortable moving forward. I feel this system is great and revolutionary, just needs tweaks to get both what EHG and the players want. HIGH hopes for the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, something which will not change and the developers themselves have to make adjustments according to it.

I don’t see how removing percentages would remove the player agency? The player is still as full in command as before.

I don’t see again why this part should suddenly emerge once we remove percentages. Knowledge on how the system works can be introduced easily.

All that I have stated so far is that removing the percentages is inevitable and must be done due to the statement which preceded that.
These could be replaced with something like dices which you can roll 3 times for free and then you have to get above 4 to rank up. This lets the compounds do their magic without leaving space for the players biases and heuristics to take advantage of them as much.

1 Like

Maybe there’s something more to it than just how the crafting is designed? This game has an awful a lot of crafting, maybe that’s it?
As an example in PoE there is no prevalent unavoidable crafting exhaustion since you can just buy the items and if you do want to craft - you won’t have enough currency to have a proper crafting session even once a day while in Last Epoch you craft or roll the dice almost all the time.

You are being somewhat contradictory now as you’re saying that things might not be negative but it feels negative and when I introduce an element or removal of one which could help this feeling part; the response is that it isn’t actually fixing the issue although it does fix or at least alleviate the issue which you presented.
While you can cognize right now that the developers might be doing it to sweep things under the rug - you will not remember it in a few days and a new player won’t be aware of it and even if they do become aware, won’t care about it.

Put on a blindfold, get into a car (ideally yours) & tell me how in control you feel.

Yes, but without the percentages, the player wouldn’t know “where” they are with regard to fracturing the item, should they continue to use glyphs of stability or is now a really good time to switch to glyphs of the guardian? Am I getting close to getting close to damaging fractures but I only need 1 more craft to get that t5 set glancing blow?

The player needs to know the risks, but the majority of people don’t really get probability.

Ok, they could remove the probabilities, but they’d have to fundamentally change the way crafting works & how the player is informed of the risk, or whatever the downside of crafting is. If all they do is remove the percentages, all players will know is that sometimes crafting works & other times they have their favourite shiny toy taken away by a capricious ineffable black-box crafting system.

The player needs to feel in control, but be aware that something bad might happen if they press the button now. Otherwise, it’ll be a much better idea to go to PoE’s fully RNG system where the base doesn’t break & if you “fail” your crafting roll (don’t get the affixes you want) you can just have another go, crafting currency depending.

Oh yeah, its mostly crafting. It’s great imo. But when you have a LOT of something, there’s typically more room for a few problems to come up. And that’s all this whole process is (I hope). Us talking about it is what the Devs likely want and need.

Big PoE player here so I’ll bite. I feel this isn’t a good comparison (or any comparisons to PoE/D’1,2,3’, grim dawn, etc.) as each of these Arpgs are vastly different than the others. One formula in any of these games likely won’t work properly in any of the other titles, even if allowed to tweaked a small bit. (But maybe if allowed a lot a bit)

You’re telling me to take a pain pill instead of fixing the cause of the pain. That’s what I got from the solution. You’re focusing on my literal words instead of my meaning, so I will try to remember this moving forward.

Ill rewrite what I meant and apologize.
I don’t know though. I think that, based on my experience in reality, on these forums, and with this game title, a lot of talk about the crafting system is more negative than positive on the forums as I have read and understood them. I am quite enthusiastic and excited to see how the devs tackle this topic: change in some way or let it be.

Hope this helps! Thanks!

I understand your analogy but I have to reject it because it lacks some important parallels so I’ll appropriate your analogy with what I deem crucial ones and reflect it with a question.

How would you feel if every time you get into a car and wouldn’t know if you’re going to die on the highway today or not? Will you stop driving your car if you did not know what the odds of dying today are?

While I agree on some level, I’d still like to hear the instrumentality of the players knowing the risks and not working with their intuition and the excitement of the unknown.
What do you gain other than your extremely flawed perception of control which will backfire in you being emotionally upset?

If PoE displayed the percentages of an item having 0.2% chance of having acceptable affixes to wear through the currency used - I don’t think the game would exist.

They know that with and without percentages. Losing percentages doesn’t mean that the control is lost but let’s say that the control is lost through the removal of percentages - another method can simply replace it to create a new illusion of control.

BTW I get interrupted all the time so some of my replies might be in a “Replying…” state for a long time :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, when you combined the rolls, the chance you fracture on the 3rd attempt is approx 13%. Stats is hard, I know :frowning:

1 Like

Settle down there Mrs. Sesquipedalian. This is a video game forum after all, an action role playing game forum to be exact.

I was trying to politely get this message across. Not sure it did, but I also wouldn’t want to change how anybody is. We all have google and dictionary.com right? :sweat_smile:

edit: Man kiss is really repl- oh! posted! -Goes to read-

What exactly doesn’t work? In your case I’m using PoE to egress a plausible crafting exhaustion, not justify the crafting system itself.

No need to apologize at all!

Forums are a terrible place to perceive the emotions of the player base as a whole since we have a tendency to engage with the negative( danger) more and people almost as a rule post more negative( stronger emotion) than positive.
Majority of the game forums are riddled unproportionally with anger, complaints, threats and disputes.
I think when we’re making judgements on how something should be built - we should be appealing to working models and a holistic perspective, not our very flawed perception of a small bubble in which we have found ourselves comfortable through constantly affirming our possibly flawed beliefs to each other.

Although it sounds harsh, I mean no offense with it (:

1 Like

All good! I agree 100% with this sentiment.

And back to it! Path’s crafting system is a much more forgiving system. You have zero chance of losing any items you have drop/buy/craft with. By losing, I mean destroying. In LE, all of this is possible. (Well, buying from players might be a thing eventually) I’d say thats night and day different, yes and no. Yes LE can destroy your items regardless of its aquisition, no PoE won’t destroy said items.

The part that doesn’t work is comparing these two opposite methods and comparing them to make a point in one or the other that it works in this one, can in the other’.

I know this is putting a lot of words in your mouth, err post, so no one think that please! But, I feel this is an important distinguishment for everyone to understand. Le isn’t Poe, GD, etc. It’s LE. Comparisons can be made all day to the other giants, but doesn’t mean it matters, at all, in any other game.

Your suggestion in hiding the figures is an interesting perspective. I did a double take and made sure I read what I did. I am sooo not okay with this method of ‘tweaks’, but this is EHG’s game. So here’s hoping whatever they decide is amazing for the masses. (Probably will be)

TL:DR PoE’s crafting is more different than LE’s crafting. So much that comparing them doesn’t seem feasible im my brainz! Also I liek numbarz!

1 Like

I just think its funny. She must be fun at parties. I think this crowd can be as easily impressed with half the number of syllables.

Analogies aren’t binary, you don’t have to accept/reject them, there is scope inbetween to accept the bits that get across an idea. If an analogy went into such detail that it covered every single detail about a situation, it wouldn’t be an analogy, it would be a detailed description of the situation.

You’re going to need to explain why you put “instrumentality” in there as the sentence doesn’t make much sense to a native English speaker.

I understand your analogy but reject it because it lacks some important parallels… In PoE, if you don’t get the affixes you want, you just keep on crafting, the item doesn’t fracture preventing crafting unless you use a Vaal orb on it. It’s a pretty key distinction between the two games’ crafting systems. If you could keep on crafting an item in LE and when a fracture happened it just reduced the levels of one or more affixes, that might be different.

Yes, they would need to change the crafting system, not just remove the percentages.

What if they got rid of fractures, but crafting an affix to a higher tier required more shards with a random chance for the craft to not work & consume the shards (like a fracture) but not break the item so you could carry on crafting but getting to a higher tier of an affix would have a higher chance of not-working-but-consuming-your-shards? You’d still have an increasing cost to get the high tier affixes, the player wouldn’t loose their item if it didn’t work but it would make getting high tier crafted rare affixes harder. It might also make found items more useful.

Would that remove some of the frustration of crafting? Probably, though it would shift it to the “damn, I’ve lost a load of rare affix shards”. But at least they wouldn’t have lost the item.

Edit:

Numbarz are your friends.

They are binary in the sense of them either being accurate representations of analogous scenarios which the discourse is about or not.

We were talking about player agency:

• Being blindfolded = unable to produce any action by being unable to perceive things, superpositioning agency

• Not being aware of future outcomes = able to produce actions, not having agency over future effects

Correct me if I’m wrong here.

Why do we have to have it communicated to us? We know the risks and now what important role does it play in our adventure?
Instrumentality = usability as a tool, no?

My mistake here in not being clear enough - I’m talking about the perception of possible outcomes, not what outcomes they produce. I believe seeing 0.2% odds of success is too scary of a number for players to work with to a paralyzing effect.

Yeah!

I’m also suspecting that the larger numbers might come in handy here for our imagination! If we’d have no percentages for crafting and we’d use your method mentioned above - do you think that it would be completely fine and maybe even good to not show percentages of really small numbarz of success rate?
This is regarding to:

Also my exclamation marks are simply enthusiastic as I am a very enthusiastic person!!! !!! !!! !!! !! !!!