"Couldn't connect to the server" on some unsupported Linux distros

I’m having the same issue. Cannot connect to server at opening screen. Just bought the game via steam today. I do not have any firewall blocking outbound traffic. It is a NAT connection through my router but I don’t have any issues playing other games or running other communications software.

Here are my system specs.
OS: Fedora Linux 30. Linux kernel 5.0.11 using kernel GPU drivers.
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRA
CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Memory 128GB ECC DDR.
Disk drive: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB, XFS filesystem.
GPU: Saphire AMD RX580 with 8GB DDR ram.
Monitor: Dell Ultruwide U3417W

I’m having the same issue. And also do not have any firewall blocking outbound traffic.

I am also having the same issue. In fact, I have never been able to connect on Linux. The launcher has always given me issues.

Same here, Fedora 30, default.

Hmm, this is disappointing. Same thing here on opensuse. I DID have this working before, but that was on a different computer running manjaro several months ago.

Apologies for the lack of communication on this as we work on both this and other issues!

Here’s a quick update on where we are;

• I have been testing on Fedora 30 and I have Last Epoch working.

Here’s the road ahead and where we stand;

• I plan to make a small file downloadable (possibly just a shell script) which resolves the issue. This should not need to be run more than once. I haven’t created this yet. What it does and why will be either explained by it or on a support article.
  • I have not yet been able to get the launcher for the standalone client working on Fedora. We are unlikely to resolve this in the short-term, so I would advise that anyone affected play through Steam. If you bought outside of Steam, you can link your accounts to be able to play Last Epoch through Steam without needing to pay for the game again.
    Update: Please see next forum post.
  • Thus far my testing has been limited to Fedora, as it was the most mainstream distro I knew to have this problem. I haven’t yet verified that openSUSE is affected by precisely the same issue. If the fix for Fedora doesn’t resolve the issue on openSUSE, that distro will be next on my list. It is my understanding that Gentoo is also affected. I’m hoping the Fedora Fix™ also helps for Gentoo. I’m not yet ready to commit to troubleshooting that distro individually, as I expect it to be more time-intensive than most others distros. We’ll see.

And the tl;dr for those so inclined;

• Fedora: Issue reproduced, fix for the game on the way, launcher not fixed yet.
  • Other distros: Will reassess after testing the fix created for Fedora on them.

Hey folks, got another update for you.

We’ve collaborated with our partner and got the Launcher working on Fedora. The workaround, consisting of downloading and running another small file, will still be required - however it won’t be necessary to play the game through Steam - both clients should work.

Unfortunately due to it being Sunday not everyone is available, and I’ll need to leave the house pretty soon myself. I expect we should be able to release both the Launcher update, and the separate download, sometime this week. I’ll be sure to post updates here as I get them.

I haven’t had an opportunity to test on other distros yet. I’ll try to find some time - and space! - to at least test on openSUSE early next week to check whether the fix helps other distros.

Good morning!

Apologies for neither getting the fixes released nor posting an update last week.

Some of our team attended PAX West, which impeded our ability to update our Launcher. I’m going to speak with the team about this, and I’ll post again once we’ve discussed the situation.

Hello,
Still looking forward to a possible fix or work around.

Hi! Any news on a fix for openSUSE?

1 Like

I have recently updated steam to the beta program in order to try this game out via the Steam Runtime compatibility layer for Proton. Still getting same issue.

So what’s the fix?

Got the same problem with Steam version on Fedora 31

Edit: seems to work with Proton but the performance is abysmal.

1 Like

@kerOssin:
Did you get it working using the Steam Linux Runtime for proton by chance?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.