Character Wipe on Release?

Will there be a character wipe on release? How about a stash wipe? Thanks for the answer and Love the Game!

Sarno said that the “current” intention (@ May19) was to wipe the beta data at release, in addition to the current offline characters not being transferred to the MP servers when they are added.

@Sarno is beta wipe for offline chars still the current intention I thought this decision had been reversed and we were keeping our offline chars offline and able to continue on with our current progression

1 Like

This is a real shame as I paid for early access to the game and no mention of a wipe stop playing now as I made to two really good chars and now seems a waste of time.

Really disappointed there was no waring on Steam about wipe, just there will be bugs which i except due to early access.

1 Like

It is completely normal and also fair to wipe everything once the game releases. It’s up to you to support the company in early access, and it’s completely understandable that people don’t support early access projects since they are not sure if the game even makes it to a full release, best example is Wolcen. Imagine a leaderboard system now with all the exploits they had. Early access is there to test the game and to get rid of all bugs and issues. Once the game is fine, competitive gameplay in form of leaderboards should be implemented.
And trust me your 2 good chars will probably not be good at release since all the numbers will change until there, same with my current builds :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Plus, they aren’t going to wipe the current characters, as they are offline only. When the MP servers are brought online our current characters won’t be moved to the servers, plus any characters we do create will be moved to a “standard” league like Path of Exile on launch so that they (& the existing economy) doesn’t interfere with the post-launch economy.

You are right. There is no warning that characters may be wiped. The “game may change” part does not say clearly that this is possible.

But:
Character wipes are always an issue with every game. It is not uncommon that save games (this also includes characters in an rpg) are incompatible with different build versions of the game. So we can be happy we already can play the same characters after the patches. Sometimes this also happens with games post release.

And with some experience with beta testing or participating in early access people know that nothing is save till release. It’s assumed people know this so it is not written down. There should be a hint for people who have no experience with this kind of things (also all other steam ea games).

I can understand that you are disappointed. But this is necessary for the development of a game. I have 200+ hous in this game and I know I won’t keep any char or item. That’s the nature of being in ea.

There is also the possibility you can keep your offline chars even after release. This is a rumour since I can remember.

2 Likes

Mine is only one voice but I’d be more displeased if they didn’t wipe all our chars after beta. There are a few mastery classes, an entire base class, lots of bugs, a few broken chars, etc.

Plus, I think it was specifically stated (at least I think so, I could be wrong) that the chars would for sure be wiped after beta.

2 Likes

imagine having 2000+ hours… (well probly 4-5000+ hours at release) just going bye bye

1 Like

sounds like my diablo 3 story when i uninstalled it :joy:

1 Like

I feel the same. I have a belief they will start fresh with online characters, but leave offline alone (beyond some technical limitation between versions). Even if that is the case, I’ll wipe my own characters to start fresh at launch, even though I will probably have many many hours logged.

Are people really misunderstanding the point of a Beta? Why would characters persist? What if the devs needed to implement some type of feature or update to the game that would rework how characters are saved, making previous versions incompatible? If the masses are screaming about keeping their characters, they may be swayed and not implement something that would be better for the game in the long run.

1 Like

Because the characters are staying offline, alot of us would like to keep them so we can continue testing builds offline and see what to push online.

1 Like

Perhaps I will keep my beta characters when it is allowed, but only for nostalgia. After release I will play online only. To me it feels like wasting time playing offline when there’s online play.

I take the beta part as an experience boost. You have the knowledge to right away aim for certain builds you already know. This is a bit of an head start advantage. But at the end the hardcore player that starts fresh at release will overtake me after one week :laughing:.

@boardman21: That amount of time spent in a ea title is HUGE. I can’t remember any game I played so many hours (except wow - but this was a time without wife and kids… :relieved:)

3 Likes

I would agree with you if this was a free beta, but I along with the other people paid for this as early access game not beta, the beta part was only seen when i loaded up game for the first time. No worries I have accepted if as “This is the Way” I just double read early access data a bit more next time i see one of these ARPG again.

Anyway characters wipe would totally dismorale many people. It’s not a free beta. We paid. We wasted time.
Does Anybody knows release date?

1 Like

I might agree with you if the early access period was a few days or a week, but when the “early access” is clearly a year or more then it’s obvious that “early access” is alpha/beta access not “here, have a bit of a headstart with your characters as thanks for giving us your cash earlier”.

It was April but got pushed back, which is why the kickstarter backers who paid for the game on release when that was intended to be April were given access now instead of when it’s going to be released ('cause EHG aren’t a bunch of douchbags like EA).

I also feel like Steam’s use of “early access” is confusing things as that can range from months/years to days which are clearly very different stages.

I don’t see different between few days or few months. It’s not mine problem. But if character wipe would come without anything benefits for me I would really disappointing.

Thank you.It’s really soon but we don’t see some classes for example…

Really?

If there’s early access for a few days before release, that means that game is finished & the company just wants some cash sooner (which is a bit odd but that’s greedy big corporates for you) & they let you keep your characters/whatever.

If there’s “early access” for a few months or longer, that’s a beta & the company either wants more bodies for testing, or more cash to help their cashflow (or both) & you generally won’t be able to keep your characters/etc as it would **** over everyone else at start if you start with several thousand affix shards, every unique in the game & characters capable of doing arena waves in the many hundreds. Non-beta accounts just wouldn’t be able to attain parity with an account that’s had months/years headstart.

It would be nice if a dev (@Sarno ) could chime in as last I heard (& I can’t find where, could have been discord) they were going to move all the pre-launch MP characters across to a separate league at launch so as to not “polute” the launch. You would still be able to play them.

I’m personally looking forward for a good wipe, I have many level 75+ now and have all the mastery class after the story mode and I don’t feel like i waste my time doing so, I will be more familiar with the game than new players and will know what build I’d like to do first etc… It’s a huge advantage.

How I see things, when the game will be release, it will be like a new season start, and I’ll be glad to start from scratch like everyone else but with lot more knowledge.

And not to be forgotten than this kind of game is maid for replayability. I’ll even be OK to start over after major patch update, like 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 etc

1 Like