Can we discuss about this SOUL CAGE mobs

Soul Cage is INSANELY Strong , literally 1shot me using D.O.T Skill , how is that fair tbh ? i die so many time to this monster until i decide to just ignore in map . yet i still die…

Assuming you’re melee, you need to run out of their cone attack and DPS them, then when they’re “charging up” their slam, run out of that as well. I would say get more necrotic protection, by 56% isn’t bad. I can’t see what your crit avoidance is so that might have been an issue (unless that attack is a DoT).

It’s not a problem when you find one Soul Cage. But when you face dozens and you are melee…good luck and have fun (which you won’t have any).

I’ve literally never seen dozens lol. Most I get is pairings of 2, that I can recall, like one per pack of mobs.

I will say it doesn’t help that he took map modifiers that give them +46% damage and 120% crit chance, but even then not only are they slow and telegraphed animations they always fire off their cone from max range when approaching you. Once you know that range, you know exactly when they’ll cast; very easy to kite out of.

1 Like

Yeah, 2 I’ve seen not in-frequently, but I don’t think you could get dozens. That said, you just need to kite & get a hit in when you can.

I’ve been voicing this concern as well.
The Soul Cage mob can very easily slap you back to your stash without you ever even being offered an opportunity to react to it; the damage on these mobs should be halved at least.
With a single damage mod, the dot can kill you in 0.5 seconds and if there are plenty of them around - you’re bound to step into their flame at least some time.
If there are multiple of them and it’s a snow level - you just won’t notice them attacking.

Here’s a picture of my last death to them:

While the image is frozen it doesn’t seem bad but there are 10 different effects and explosions going on all the time that I just didn’t keep an eye on them for 0.2s and died.

They use to kill me a lot but once you get there pattern you can deal with few at once.
1st don’t be afraid of them, move next to them and then move slightly to left. They always start doing the necrotic breath in the position you first met them.

This is indeed one of the more lethal mobs. BUT, their attack pattern is very very obvious. And as soon as they start using their Cone Breath Attack they do not rotate or follow you. Just try to circle around them before attack them. Wait for THEM to start doing their attack pattern before commiting to dps.

For sure, for sure!
My problem with Soul Cage is that it just happens so that sometimes you won’t focus them as there are 10 different mobs on the screen and you’ll simply die because of that.
No other rare mob provides more 1 shots than Soul Cage. This could be forgiven if Soul Cage would an isolated boss but it’s not.

1 Like

This.

It also applies to various other mobs in LE. Don’t be too hasty to rush in and kill things before they do damage to you … sometimes wait for them to do their thing, run/teleport/move out of the way and then attack.

I still have issues with Soul Cages, especially when they gang up with 3 or more.

They have no defense against a bayonet up the backside, just don’t stand too close in front of them or it’s pretty much insta-death for all chars, not just melee.

1 Like

I can feel ya, for me a long time deadliest mob type for me were those ice bats with their iceconebreath. There are very vunerable to melee and die quickly, but sometimes i misjudged my transplant range and teleported right in front of their face without killing them fast enough.

Yep totally agree.

Generally LE is a different kind of game. You can’t even remotely compare it to anything in the genre, there are so many lethal mobs in LE, but the majority is avoidable. You just can’t zoom through the level in LE killing everything before it kills you. Espeically in the very very high endgame content(which is assume OP is, because of lvl 84 and pretty stacked up MoF modifiers)
Just don’t be greedy and sometimes running around waiting for the right opportunity is the best and safest tactic.

Well I don’t mean one pack, but several packs combined. And I probably exaggerated but I did faced more than 2 dozens at a time several times, although in previous version. I have to face them all at once simply because I wanted to run away from one pack, but end up encountered MORE lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see encountering multiple packs, and if you don’t have a safe area to withdraw to that would be an issue.

There are simply just way too many encounters in this game that causes melee chars grief, Soul Cages, Covenant of Dominions, Ice bats, Ice giants and various ground effects etc. Ofc they are doable, but as mentioned before if they come in packs (3+) its often certain death.

I actually dont recall ANY encounters on my casters that causes grief (except some bosses ofc, but those would again be even harder for melee)

As much as Soul Cages trigger me I like them mechanically. I like how LE has “normal” monsters which you have to adjust your play style on the fly and move and forces you to interact with mechanics instead of mindlessly spamming 1 button for success regardless what monster is in front of you. Yeah their dot is strong and punishing but if you just get behind them they are a free kill. They only have 1 frontal attack and 1 slam which are extremely easy to avoid. If you pull too many of them you have to be aware of where they are facing and your fine.

My only nitpicky complaint about them is their frontal beam that the damage drops is little before the animation ends. Also times where they die and their breath is still showing as it slowly “dissipates” but you can walk into it without taking damage. This could be slightly adjusted to be more accurate to when the damage is there and when you can walk into it without dying by just showing a cone on the ground.

1 Like

I agree this is how to beat them normally and in most cases this is true, but have you tried facing them in a higher Mono where (on rare occasions) its filled with these cages, and if you try get behind them youre gonna taunt 2 more, and if you run right or left theres even more.
This means no kind of positioning will work because theyre gonna hit from all directions, and you just have to run in and hope for the best, which almost always mean death.

I play this game a lot and I face them a lot. I mostly play melee running little to no necro resist (lazy) so I have to do them mechanically or I die instantly. They are annoying to face but I am used to them at this point. I can pull a good amount without any real reason to be scared. Again I am just always aware of where they are facing, I circle the pack so they all stack up facing in one direction and get out of the blast when they are slamming.

I find them annoying when there is more than 3 or so but never enough to really bothered or cause me to constantly die over and over. They are slow which allows you to have good windows to dps them. I had more issues with the big coral guys which wave final slams with speed mod, they are way more scary.

I wont disagree that its doable in a normal environment where theres not too many other mobs, lots of space to run around, and no dangerous modifiers.

But environments where modifiers are high (almost enevitable that some mods dont benefit the cages), and there are litterally packs of them all over the screen (ive had monos with 10+ of them within a screen) and other deadly types of mobs, and the space to run around was narrow… then you cant circle them, you cant gather them up, and theres so many they will shoot from different directions, then its a problem.

I wont argue that you and many other players probably can beat them easily, but they sure are on my top 3 list of why i dont play melee in high monos anymore :wink:

1 Like

It seem their attack type penetration work way too much

It is a combination of things. All dots should be reduced by 25-50% since glancing blow doesn’t affect them and it appears the game is balanced around that. Seems like an oversight. The other issue is visual clutter. The blue on blue on blue on blue is a massive problem. Same issue with Formosus or whatever his name is. He casts giant blue slowing ground and then giant blue instant death ground cold dots and then telegraphed but still instant death blue necro line damage. Game needs a really big visual clarity pass.