Buff Meteor speed increase nodes

This is somewhat of a duplication of another thread in the Mage forum, but this time in the proper forum (where people can vote and stuff).

A faster Meteor fall speed is quite convenient:

• there is less delay between clicking and damage;
  • enemies die quicker and thus have less chance to damage you; and
  • you have a higher chance of hitting fast or erratically moving enemies.

Having a bigger Meteor or several Meteors also helps with the last point and doing more damage helps with the second one (for enemies that would survive one fast Meteor with less damage). I wonder whether spending five points into fall speed is actually worth it - I really like this convenience, but:

• with five points, the delay between click and damage is only reduced by half; and
  • the points feel kind of wasted as I could have more damage or more Meteors instead.

Therefore I would like to buff this node, so each point makes a bigger difference. Then I can get the same effect with less points, so they do not feel wasted, or I can get a much bigger effect for the same amount of points if I really want the convenience.

I assume that the default delay (without any points spent) is two seconds - that may be slightly off, though, I do not know the real time it takes. Currently you can spend eight points, where each point adds 20% fall speed:

points | speed modifier | delay modifier | delay (s)
  0    |       100%     |      100%      |   2.00
  1    |       120%     |       83%      |   1.67
  2    |       140%     |       71%      |   1.43
  3    |       160%     |       62%      |   1.25
  4    |       180%     |       56%      |   1.11
  5    |       200%     |       50%      |   1.00
  6    |       220%     |       45%      |   0.91
  7    |       240%     |       42%      |   0.83
  8    |       260%     |       38%      |   0.77

The effect diminishes with each additional point, so it does not really make sense to spend all eight of them on fall speed. This gives players choices, as they could take the pure fall speed or combine it with increased casting speed and Mana cost instead without making it overpowered when all eight points are spent.

I propose to increase the speed to 50% per point:

points | speed modifier | delay modifier | delay (s)
  0    |       100%     |      100%      |   2.00
  1    |       150%     |       67%      |   1.33
  2    |       200%     |       50%      |   1.00
  3    |       250%     |       40%      |   0.80
  4    |       300%     |       33%      |   0.67
  5    |       350%     |       29%      |   0.57
  6    |       400%     |       25%      |   0.50
  7    |       450%     |       22%      |   0.44
  8    |       500%     |       20%      |   0.40

Now I did not spend that much time with the game yet, I only have one character (Sorcerer level 61). These proposed changes might have consequences that I do not see. So what do you think about this idea? What are the disadvantages? Did I go too far? Can there be problems with the animation if the fall speed is that high? Or could it work without being broken/OP?

Honestly I believe you proposal would not even be right. The player will spend on the first 2 points and not any more after. The first few points are too powerful and the later confer no advantage.

If it was 20%-30% fall rate coupled with 10% cast speed it would instead be a generally decent node. The issue with the fall rate node currently is not specifically that it is too weak but rather that it confers no realistic utility or dps, so just adding in cast speed or some other benefit would help the most.

Or maybe just make it a one-point upgrade with a big effect

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.