Block is OP

36 and 75 = 75??? bolster in vengeance+rebuke?

ok. still a nice increase though.

then of course, thereā€™s invincible while lunging node.

Yes, but thatā€™s very situational & somewhat harder to use on a boss fight with no adds. You could almost say that Lugeā€™s invulnerability is an implementation of other games dodge/roll i-frames.

wasnā€™t hard for lizard when paired with volatile reversal now was it?

400 arena push is hardly what I would consider ā€œsituationalā€ and more of strategic value as show cased many times by him.

I donā€™t think he even uses lunge anymore

Vengeance
Abyssal echoes
Volatile reversal
Holy aura
Sigil

But being invincible even briefly can be controversial no matter how short or how its used

3 Likes

Skilled players make anything look easy. Just because Mathil has no problem with uber elder in PoE doesnā€™t mean that anyone can do it.

The devs (IMO) shouldnā€™t be balancing the game around the best players or the ā€œbestā€ builds. Otherwise youā€™d get a game that they could play & everyone else would watch because they werenā€™t good enough. Yes, they need to curb the outliers, but they shouldnā€™t massively reduce block because itā€™s powerful if you build around it. Otherwise they should also reduce dodge to cap out at 60%, or only reduce damage taken by an amount & reduce the max ward you can get because then itā€™s also an outlierā€¦

5 Likes

Well to me, it looks like the devs are doing just thatā€¦ I mean wouldnā€™t you nerf death seal for example if you saw it was the only build capable of pushing pass 1,000 arena waves? It seems to be thatā€™s EXACTLY what they are doing anyways, because when you take the best build, and the best player in one mix, thatā€™s what they are focusing on, around balance. itā€™s not like we see multiple people pushing 1,000 waves, it seems to me they are basing the entirety of builds around ladder score, which yes is a stupid concept, as arena should be the last place the game should be balanced around, as a lot of builds could perform very well if they game itself was vastly more optimized. put enough time, and grind into the game, and you can make the game look easy.

1 Like

Well death seal had several interactions that were bugged. It got nerfed with the 50% reduction of hit damage since with those bugs it was game breakingly op. I will say that I believe the ward nerf from this patch was over aggressive

Yeah, I think they should have either nerfed ward on hit (diminishing returns somehow) or increased the ward decay above XXX ward (say, 4 or 5k ward).

yeah it was, some of these design choices, and nerfs, and buffs, itā€™s like they havenā€™t hired not one person to test, and push major interactions of skills, and stats. I honestly believe they should hire you/lizard/foe to do their testing before they release skills, ,gear, and idols Iā€™d be in full support of this idea.

Yeah, and I think they should be buffing the other skills as well. The arena is a lot easier to see how things perform since it gives you a nice number & is less random than the monolith (since the player doesnā€™t get a choice of what mods are applied).

Agreed.

Why hire and pay us lol we do it for free now

1 Like

I know you do, but wouldnā€™t it be better if you had access to dev testing, and made a few bucks doing it? itā€™s not like itā€™s unheard of for the devs to hire people to work on the game to make it better while paying them for it, I know you would do it for free regardless. I just think you all deserve more, and the game deserves more; at the very least there should be a dev access program maybe a community vote on who should do additional, specified testing, and such, and make up a panel of additional people to do such a thing?

i dont think id enjoy it as much if it was a job

3 Likes

fair enough.

I could see some minor tweaks to block but Iā€™d prefer nothing to drastic. Iā€™m not an expert nor even remotely a strong theory-crafter but is it possible this high-end issue, (I doubt Iā€™ll ever see a 400 wave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) is a result of something else like the amount of damage being put out by some things? Block has finally gotten me a Paladin I feel like Iā€™m enjoying a lot, I still die where my block is around 85% or so with buffs up. Maybe a cap around there as some have mentioned and then see if itā€™s over or under. But given the game is strongly geared for defense, having another good defensive option gives more options for throwing in the mix.

Given EHG isnā€™t massive this is exactly what an open alpha and beta is for. They canā€™t afford to hire a bunch of play-testers (and Iā€™d rather they put the money toward getting stuff built - coughrunemasterroguewarlockcough) so theyā€™ve opened it up and Iā€™m fairly certain they do listen to a lot of these top-notch theory-crafters. Did they get a little overzealous with the adjustment to ward? Probably, but theyā€™re listening and if they feel another adjustment (i.e. buff) is warranted Iā€™m certain theyā€™ll do it and a good deal of the influence will come from guys like boardman, lizard and others.

2 Likes

the problem ,described here is sentinel problem,
other classes cant get 90% block chance and donā€™t have heal on block, so to nerf shield because of sentinel class is not right.
The problem ,if exists must be solved by changing sentinel class.
Another thing we donā€™t know yet what will be average arena push on release or what damage scaling mobs will have.
Maybe the block as it now is ok on right level of difficulty.
I remember pushing great rift 150 in diablo 3 having like 99.5 +% damage reduction and still easily can be one shotted.
So its all relative

4 Likes

Think alot of problems with block would just be resolved if we could have like a soft cap around 60-80% for block chance

1 Like