Block is OP

I really do not like any mechanic that gives you x% to avoid 100% damage. It leads to being invulnerable until one-shotted.

IMO all protecting mechanics should give a set and/or percentage damage reduction. It should never be ‘all or nothing’. Block could be like this, just keep its damage reduction under 100%.

2 Likes

Really? That’s not something I’ve experimented with, could you go into a bit more detail?

also fun fact. if you use vengeance then use rebuke, for a full two seconds you get 111% damage reduction while channeling…

Which it is, due to the nature of the diminishing returns of protection.

I agree that mechanics that make you either invulnerable or dead aren’t great.

i dont believe there additive

Correct, damage reduction is multiplicative. So 2x sources of 50% would give you 75%, not 100%.

well both the skills state the damage reduction is mulplicitive with other modifiers so why would it not work?

So if you had 75% reduction & 36% reduction, that would give you 84% reduction not 111%.

36 and 75 = 75??? bolster in vengeance+rebuke?

ok. still a nice increase though.

then of course, there’s invincible while lunging node.

Yes, but that’s very situational & somewhat harder to use on a boss fight with no adds. You could almost say that Luge’s invulnerability is an implementation of other games dodge/roll i-frames.

wasn’t hard for lizard when paired with volatile reversal now was it?

400 arena push is hardly what I would consider “situational” and more of strategic value as show cased many times by him.

I don’t think he even uses lunge anymore

Vengeance
Abyssal echoes
Volatile reversal
Holy aura
Sigil

But being invincible even briefly can be controversial no matter how short or how its used

3 Likes

Skilled players make anything look easy. Just because Mathil has no problem with uber elder in PoE doesn’t mean that anyone can do it.

The devs (IMO) shouldn’t be balancing the game around the best players or the “best” builds. Otherwise you’d get a game that they could play & everyone else would watch because they weren’t good enough. Yes, they need to curb the outliers, but they shouldn’t massively reduce block because it’s powerful if you build around it. Otherwise they should also reduce dodge to cap out at 60%, or only reduce damage taken by an amount & reduce the max ward you can get because then it’s also an outlier…

5 Likes

Well to me, it looks like the devs are doing just that… I mean wouldn’t you nerf death seal for example if you saw it was the only build capable of pushing pass 1,000 arena waves? It seems to be that’s EXACTLY what they are doing anyways, because when you take the best build, and the best player in one mix, that’s what they are focusing on, around balance. it’s not like we see multiple people pushing 1,000 waves, it seems to me they are basing the entirety of builds around ladder score, which yes is a stupid concept, as arena should be the last place the game should be balanced around, as a lot of builds could perform very well if they game itself was vastly more optimized. put enough time, and grind into the game, and you can make the game look easy.

1 Like

Well death seal had several interactions that were bugged. It got nerfed with the 50% reduction of hit damage since with those bugs it was game breakingly op. I will say that I believe the ward nerf from this patch was over aggressive

Yeah, I think they should have either nerfed ward on hit (diminishing returns somehow) or increased the ward decay above XXX ward (say, 4 or 5k ward).

yeah it was, some of these design choices, and nerfs, and buffs, it’s like they haven’t hired not one person to test, and push major interactions of skills, and stats. I honestly believe they should hire you/lizard/foe to do their testing before they release skills, ,gear, and idols I’d be in full support of this idea.

Yeah, and I think they should be buffing the other skills as well. The arena is a lot easier to see how things perform since it gives you a nice number & is less random than the monolith (since the player doesn’t get a choice of what mods are applied).