So I’d like to provide a quick update on where we stand with this issue.
Here’s the situation on the release candidate I’m testing on Manjaro;
- The black box covering the mini map is no longer present.
- The arrow representing the player is visible.
- Other icons, such as those representing Waypoints and our (improved) quest markers are visible. Newly added indicators of where to go for quests are also working.
- The background & background border of the mini map are not visible. This means that it appears the entire square is walkable when this is not the case. We’ll continue investigating, and I’d like to apologize once again for the inconvenience.
- A new feature in this patch - the Tab key toggling whether zone level is displayed - works correctly. The text is both displayed and clearly legible.
- A few other minor graphical improvements all appear to be working as intended.
We tracked the original issue down to OpenGL and one of the shaders we use, and we’re operating on the assumption that the missing background is likewise caused by the same issue. While far from perfect, this patch should at least improve things substantially.