A Patch Overview video by Game Director Judd Cobler.
|Table of Contents|
|1. Loot Filters|
|5. Item Sets|
|8. Mechanics Balance|
|9. Defense Systems|
|10. Monolith of Fate|
|11. Skill Balance|
|13. User Interface|
|18. Bug Fixes|
- You can now create loot filters which affect what items are visible on the ground, and modify how their labels look.
- Loot filters operate on a list of rules that are processed from the top.
- You can add rules based on item base type, item subtype, rarity, level, class requirement and the affixes on the item. Rules can also be set to only be active during certain character levels.
- Rules can cause items to be shown, hidden, recolored, or emphasized, which puts the item’s name in all caps.
- Loot filters are saved as text files which can be shared to other players, or they can be imported from your clipboard.
Chapter 2 Rework
- Overhauled the visuals used throughout the entire chapter (from Last Refuge Outskirts to The Sheltered Wood).
- Adjusted the layout of multiple existing zones and how they connect together.
- Revamped the quest progression of the chapter to be less linear.
- Overhauled the Elder Pannion boss fight and other encounters.
Chapter 3 Rework
- Overhauled quest progression in the middle of the chapter (near the Ruins of Welryn).
- Added new zones and reworked the layout of existing zones in the middle of the chapter.
- Improved visuals in multiple zones.
Chapter 6 Changes
- Upgraded visuals and made minor layout changes throughout most of the chapter (The Desert Waystation until The Immortal Citadel).
- The boss arena at the end of the Immortal Summit is now its own zone, the Immortal Citadel.
Chapter 8 Changes
- Added a sidequest in Etendell.
- Dying during a boss fight during the campaign now restarts the fight when you respawn. You respawn just before the boss fight, rather than at the start of the zone.
- Dying to the bossfight in Liath’s Sanctum still resets the zone, but now respawns you just before the boss fight, bypassing the enemies at the start.
- Your movement is interrupted after going to a different floor to prevent accidental movement.
- After going to a new floor the character is now facing away from the stairs they just used.
- Dying to the bossfight now resets the fight and respawns the player on the previous floor.
- Rather than just taking you to either Council Chambers or End of Time, the Town Portal now takes you back to the latest town in the questline (except at the start of some chapters where it takes you to End of Time instead).
- Using shards on an item can now cause a Critical Success. A Critical Success adds an extra tier to an affix on the item, as long as that would not make the affix greater than tier 5 or make the level requirement too high.
- A Critical Success occurring does not impact how much Instability is applied to the item; the craft applies the regular amount, with the additional tier being ‘free’.
- Damaging Fractures now reduce the tier of a random affix by 1 to 2 tiers, and lock the item. This can no longer reduce the tier of an affix below 1.
- Destructive Fractures now reduce the tier of 2 or more affixes by 1 to 2 tiers, and lock the item. This can no longer reduce the tier of an affix below 1.
- The instability of the item you are crafting on is now displayed at the top of the crafting window.
- New skill unlocked at 30 points into Spellblade passives. Includes a specialization tree.
- Firebrand is a melee attack which grants you a stack of the Firebrand buff if it hits an enemy.
- Each stack of Firebrand grants +5 melee fire damage and increases the size of Firebrand attacks by 25%. Firebrand can stack 4 times and lasts 4 seconds.
- New skill unlocked at 20 points into Acolyte passives. Includes a specialization tree.
- Applies an Infernal Shade to a targeted enemy. The affected enemy and all nearby enemies take fire damage per second.
- Infernal Shade expires when the enemy dies, or after 5 seconds. You may have up to 4 Shades active at once, and this limit is shared with Dread Shade.
- New skill unlocked at character level 8 for Sentinels. Includes a specialization tree.
- Shield Bash is a directional melee attack that requires a shield and stuns enemies it hits for 1 second. Shield Bash has 100% increased stun duration against non-boss enemies.
- Shield Bash deals 1.5% more damage per 1% of block chance you have (multiplicative with other modifiers, up to 150%).
Minimum Skill Level
- Characters now have a minimum skill level, which increases as they level up.
- When you specialize in a new skill, it’s automatically the same level as your minimum skill level.
- Removing skill points from a skill cannot reduce its level below your minimum skill level.
- Removed Defile.
- Removed Ice Ward.
- Removed Manifest Weapon.
- Removed Molten Blade.
- Added a new three-piece set.
- Each of the set items was designed by the same community member.
- While a number of unique items have been designed by owners of ‘Creator’ packs, this is the first time a set has been designed through design collaborations.
- Added a new unique amulet, Gambler’s Fallacy.
- Added a new unique amulet, Xithara’s Conundrum.
- Added new unique gloves, Avarice.
- Added new unique boots, Transient Rest.
- Uniques on the ground no longer show their name until hovered over. For example, Transient Rest will show as
Bootsuntil hovered over.
- Arek’s Bones adds 25 to 55 melee physical damage (from 20 to 50).
- Water Orbs from Ucenui’s Sphere deal 33% more damage.
- Volcanus now also grants 37 to 57 spell fire damage.
- Ward Trail grants 30 ward on dodge (from 20).
- Wing Guards grant 14% to 24% chance to gain Haste on Hit (from 4% to 8%).
- Added a new set of armor models for the Acolyte, which have been added to existing base types.
- Unique and Set item labels on the ground now just state what kind of item they are (i.e. amulet), rather than the full name of the unique.
- The Mage’s “of the Capacitor” and “of Liath” affixes now grants chance to apply a spark charge on melee hit, rather than on lightning hit.
- The Mage’s Ward Gain on Melee Hit idol affix has been changed to Chance to Gain 20 Ward on Melee Hit. On average it provides about half as much ward as before.
- The Chance To Apply Frostbite With Cold Skills idol affix grants 25% to 60% chance for Primalists and Mages (from 10% to 40% for Primalists and 15% to 50% for Mages).
- The increased physical damage prefix can now be crafted onto wands, and has a small chance of spawning on them.
- Reduced the power of minion reflect and skeleton reflect affixes by 20-40% (varying based on affix and tier).
- Scholar Coats (mage starting armour) grants 24 armour (from 16).
Boss Temporary Resistance System
- Bosses can take up to 170% more damage than most enemies, but start off with a lot of temporary resistance so they initially take about the same amount of damage as most enemies.
- Once they have dropped to 99% health this initial temporary resistance begins to drop off linearly over time. The exact duration depends on the boss’s health compared to its level, it’s about 150 seconds for the Abomination boss.
- Whenever the boss loses 1% of its total health it takes 2% less damage for a duration. The exact duration depends on the boss’s health compared to its level, it’s about 30 seconds for the Abomination boss. This 1% does not need to be dealt with a single hit.
- Whenever a boss takes lots of damage at once the damage is reduced based on how many of these stacks of damage reduction it would have procced. This just means that one big hit deals the same damage as lots of small hits over a short duration (where the later hits would be affected by the temporary damage reduction).
- With this system unless your build has exceptionally high single target damage you should never deal significantly less damage to a boss than you would to a regular enemy. Meanwhile if you’re struggling to take down the boss in the normal amount of time you will end up dealing more damage to the boss as the fight goes on.
- Players gain 8 health per level (from 6).
- Players now start with 25 stun avoidance, making them harder to stun at low levels.
- Slow and Chill now have 50% reduced effect against players.
- Increased the damage of Spreading Flames by 100%.
- Increased the damage of Plague by 50%.
The Patch Notes provide an exhaustive list of changes. If you would like to read about the reasons why these changes have been made, please see our Developer Blog.
- Protections have been replaced by Resistances (e.g. 25% Fire Resistance), with a resistance cap of 75%.
- Penetration is now percentage based (30% penetration against 20% resistance results in -10% resistance).
- Enemies have 1% resistance penetration per area level (up to 75%). This penetration applies after the resistance cap.
- Protection Shred ailments have been changed to equivalent Resistance Shred ailments which reduce the respective resistance by 5% against most enemies and 2% against bosses and players. Armour Shred works the same way. Shred ailments now have a maximum of 20 stacks.
- Armour now applies to hits rather than all physical damage and scales with area level rather than health (similar to Dodge).
- Armour is more effective at protecting your health below a threshold (30 + 3 x area level).
- Glancing Blow is now rare and players are not able to reach 100%.
- Many defensive affixes, nodes, items and more have changed as a result of these changes, and most are listed below. Cases where protection was just changed to resistance, or flat penetration was just changed to percentage penetration may be ommitted.
- Block effectiveness is no longer additive with other defenses.
- The percentage of damage that your block effectiveness will mitigate now scales with area level (similar to Armour and Dodge).
- Block mitigation percent is now shown next to block effectiveness in the character sheet.
- Renegade Shields now grant 175 block effectiveness (From 125).
- Kite Shields now grant 1200 to 1800 block effectiveness and 25% to 27% block chance (from 1000 to 2000 and 25% to 29%).
- Solarum Shields now grant 600 to 1000 block effectiveness (from 600 to 1600).
- Each point of Strength grants 4% increased armour (from 5%).
- Each point of Attunement grants 2 mana (from 4 elemental protection).
- Each point of Dexterity grants 4 dodge rating (from 5).
- Each point of Vitality grants 10 health and 2% increased health regen (from void, necrotic, and poison protection).
Set Affix Changes
- The only remaining set affixes are set resistances.
- All set affixes now roll on helmets, boots, gloves, shields, belts, rings, relics, and amulets.
- Set Glancing Blow has been replaced by Set Elemental Resistance.
- Set Armour and Void Protection has been replaced by Set Physical and Void Resistance.
- Set Necrotic and Poison Protection has been replaced by Set Necrotic and Poison Resistance.
- Set Elemental Protection has been replaced by physical penetration, which can only roll on amulets.
- Set Health has been replaced by fire penetration, which can only roll on amulets.
- Set Dodge Rating has been replaced by cold penetration, which can only roll on amulets.
- Set Health Regen has been replaced by lightning penetration, which can only roll on amulets.
Other Affix Changes
- Increased necrotic protection has been replaced with necrotic penetration.
- Increased void protection has been replaced with void penetration.
- Increased poison protection has been replaced with poison penetration.
- Resistance suffixes cannot roll on weapons.
- Changed the Reduced Damage Taken on Block affix to Less Damage Taken on Block and slightly reduced its power.
- The Armour and Protections While Channelling affix is now All Resistances While Channelling and only rolls on relics.
- The Sentinel Idol Fire Shred Chance With Fire Skills has been changed to grant fire penetration with melee attacks.
- The Acolyte Idol Poison Protection While Aura Of Decay Is Active affix has been replaced with “Increased Poison Damage while Aura of Decay is active” because the previous effect was too strong when converted from the Protection system.
- Changed the Primalist Shared Glancing Blow affix to Primalist Armour And Minion Armour.
- Existing non-set glancing blow affixes on equipment have been changed to physical resistance.
- Existing glancing blow prefixes on Idols have been converted to a new health on kill prefix. This affix was not converted to physical resistance because all other resistance affixes on Idols are suffixes.
- Bulwark of the Last Abyss gives 40% to 90% increased armour (from 10% to 40% glancing blow chance).
- Keeper’s Gloves give poison resistance and minion poison resistance (from poison protection).
- Grimoire of Necrotic Elixirs gives 30% to 40% less void, necrotic, and poison damage taken (from 60% to 90% increased protection of those damage types).
- Isadora’s Revenge grants 5% to 10% necrotic penetration (from 10% to 15% glancing blow chance).
- Liath’s Signet grants 75% elemental resistance while channelling (from 100% glancing blow chance).
- Orian’s eye now grants 15% to 10% less fire damage taken (from 100% increased fire protection).
- Snowblind now grants 40% chill chance and blind chance (from 20%).
- No longer adds or increases lightning protection.
- Now adds 30% lightning resistance.
- Now adds 10 to 30 mana.
- Now grants 30% Chance to Cast Lightning when you use a skill that costs at least 10 Mana.
- Suloron’s Step
- No longer halves glancing blow chance.
- Now subtracts 100% from physical resistance.
- Grants 70% to 95% melee crit multi (from 50% to 65%).
- Urzil’s Pride now gives 1% increased mana regen per 10% uncapped lightning protection, but cannot grant more than 40% increased mana regeneration.
- Woven Flesh grants 100% critical strike avoidance (from 85% glancing blow chance).
- Changed the Invoker Set’s 3 set bonus to 50% elemental resistance (from 500 elemental protection)
Base Item Changes
- Leather Gloves grant mana (from void protection).
- Lagonian Gauntlets grant lightning resistance (from elemental protection).
- Stained Tomes grant health instead of vitality and no longer reduce health regen by as much.
- Resolve of Humanity grants 8% to 15% to all resistances (from 35% to 55% chance to receive a glancing blow).
- Bastion of Divinity grants 10% to 14% elemental resistance (from 50 to 80 elemental protection).
- Grand Bastion of Divinity grants 15% to 20% elemental resistance (from 90 to 140 elemental protection).
- Dream of Eterra grants 15% to 25% necrotic and poison resistance (from 100 to 200 necrotic and poison protection).
- Echo of Solarum grants 10% to 14% physical and void resistance (from 50 to 100 physical and void protection).
- Grand Echo of Solarum grants 15% to 25% physical and void resistance (From 101 to 160 physical and void protection).
Poison Ailment Changes
- Poison now reduces poison resistance by 5% (2% against bosses and players) rather than increasing poison damage taken by 5%.
Mark for Death Changes
- Mark for Death now reduces all resistances (from increasing damage taken by 30%).
Frostbite Ailment Changes
- Deals 133% more damage.
- No longer reduces cold protection (or resistance).
- Now reduces freeze avoidance by 200, making enemies easier to freeze.
- Frostbite chance is now shown in the character sheet.
- The Razor Ice node on the Shatter Strike tree increases frostbite effect by 12% per point (from 30%).
- The Cold-Blooded node on the Summon Scorpion tree increases frostbite effect by 20% per point (from 50%).
Shock Ailment Changes
- Now reduces lightning resistance by 5% and increases chance to be stunned by 10%.
- Shock now has a stack limit of 20 (from unlimited).
- Large amounts of “increased shock effect” are no longer needed to keep Shock relevant at endgame, because its effects no longer scale with health. As such, many sources of this stat have been reduced or removed.
- The Mage Idol Increased Shock Effect affix grants 4% to 10% increased shock effect (from 10% to 33%).
- Stormtide grants 10% to 15% increased shock effect (from 100% to 500%).
- The High Voltage node on the Storm Totem tree grants 10% increased shock effect (from 30%).
- The Ascended Current node on the Elemental Nova tree grants 10% increased shock effect (from 80%).
- The Shocking Expanse node on the Arcane Ascendance tree grants 20% shock chance (from 50%).
- The Invokers Static Touch grants 5% to 10% increased shock effect (from 30% to 75%)
- Oceareon grants 10% to 20% increased shock effect (from 100% to 200%)
- The “of Plasma” increased shock effect suffix has been replaced by a new armour shred chance suffix that can rolls on melee weapons, gloves and amulets.
- Trance of the Sirens grants 5% to 9% shock effect (from 50% to 100%).
- Grand Trance of the Sirens grants 10% to 16% shock effect (from 120% to 200%).
- Cruelty of the Meruna grants 30% to 60% shock chance (from 40% to 70%).
- Grand Cruelty of the Meruna grants 65% to 100% shock chance (from 80% to 120%).
- Fire Shield grants 30% fire resistance (from 100 elemental protection).
Specialization Tree Changes
- Thorn Shield from the Ice Thorns Tree grants 40 armour (from 20 armour and 20 cold protection).
- The Bark Shield node on the Ice Thorns Tree now makes Thorn Shield grant 20 additional armour (from 20 armour and 20 cold protection).
- The Floric Tides node on the Ice Thorns Tree gives 5% crit avoidance (from 10 poison protection).
- The Prismatic Stance node on the Focus Tree now reduces elemental damage taken rather than adding elemental protection.
- The Vile Shroud node on the Reaper Form Tree now grants 1% necrotic and poison resistance per point of intelligence.
- The Thick Fur node on the Summon Sabertooth tree gives 13% cold resistance (from 130 cold protection) and can have 5 points allocated (from 7).
- The Shatterhide node now requires 4 points in it rather than 5.
- The Abyssal Juggernaut node on the Devouring Orb tree grants 15% void and elemental resistance per point, and can have 5 points allocated (from 6).
- The Brigand node on the Lunge Tree now only grants armour (from armour and protections).
- The Sap Warmth node on Snap Freeze now steals cold resistance from all targets hit, causing you to gain resistance and enemies to lose it, and can have 5 points allocated (from 6).
- The Faithguard node on the Shield Throw Tree now grants stun avoidance rather than elemental and poison protection.
- The Fume Weaver node on the Aura of Decay Tree reduces the poison resistance of you and nearby for each point of intelligence you have (from just reducing enemy poison protection by a much smaller amount) and requires 2 points in Vulnerability (from 1).
- The Unholy Command node on the Assemble Abomination Tree now grants 25 armour (from 20 armour and protections).
- The Rapacious Protection node on the Assemble Abomination Tree now just grants armour (from armour and protections).
- The Leper’s Skin node on the Death Seal tree now grants armour and necrotic resistance (from necrotic protection).
- The Desperate Shroud node on the Death Seal tree now grants armour and stun avoidance (from armour and protections).
- The Martyrdom node on the Dread Shade tree now grants armour (from armour and protections).
- The Safeguard node on the Eterra’s Blessing Tree now grants elemental and poison resistance (from armour and protections) and no longer has triple effect on minions, but grants much higher resistance.
- The Warding Totem node on the Frenzy Totem tree grants 20% physical and elemental resistance (from 500 armour and protections) and can have 3 points allocated (from 4).
- The Banding node on the Ring of Shields tree grants physical resistance (from increased armour and protections). It still also increases health.
- The Bolster node on the Smelter’s Wrath tree grants armour and fire resistance (from armour and protections).
- The Skin Like Bark node on the Spriggan Form Tree grants 80 armour (from 60 armour and protections) and 80 health gained on transform (from 60).
- The Fragments of the Fallen node on the Bone Golem tree just grants armour (from armour and protections).
- The Ursine Heart node on the Werebear Form tree grants 50 armour and 5% increased armour (from 40 armour and protection and 4% increased armour and protections).
- Replaced the Thick Skin node on the Werebear Form tree with Intimidating Roar, which causes your Roar skill to inflict 1 stack of Frailty per point.
- The Rallying Cry node on the Werebear From Tree now grants you and allies armour per nearby enemy when you use Roar.
- The Magma Shell node on the Fireball Tree grant armour and fire resistance (from armour and elemental protection) and can have 5 points allocated (from 7).
- The Prismatic Buffer node on the Flame Ward Tree now reduces elemental damage taken (from granting elemental protection) and can have 3 points allocated (from 5).
- Replaced the Storm Stream node on the Lunge Tree, with Invasion which grants increases stun chance for four seconds for each enemy hit.
- The Brave the Elements node on the Rebuke Tree now reduces elemental damage taken (from granting elemental protection) and can have 4 points allocated (from 5).
- The Phalanx node on the Ring of Shields tree no longer grants elemental protection.
- The Acclimated node on the Shatter Strike tree grants cold resistance (from elemental protection) and can have 2 points allocated (from 4).
- The Warding Bark node on the Summon Spriggan tree grants armour and physical resistance (from armour and elemental protection).
- The War Forge node in the Warpath Tree now also grants fire penetration.
- The Prismatic Fury node in the Holy Aura Tree has been replaced by Rahyeh’s Fury which grants fire penetration and can have 2 points allocated.
- The Necrosis node on Death Seal Tree gives 15% necrotic shred chance (from 20%) and can have 3 points allocated (from 5)
Manifest Armour Tree Changes
- Replaced Elemental Deflection with Force of Impact which grants melee physical damage equal to a proportion of the armour on your body armour
- Bulwark requires points in Self Repair rather than Elemental Deflection
Acolyte and Masteries Passives
- Cling To Life grants 2% all res to minions (from 1 vitality).
- Elixir of Death grants 5% less physical and necrotic damage taken (from 50 elemental, void, necrotic, and poison protection).
- Unnatural Preservation grants 6% ward retention (from 5%) and 3% necrotic and poison resistance (from 8 necrotic and poison protection).
Mage and Masteries Passives
- Arcane Current now grants 5% increased shock effect (from 50%), also increases stun duration with lightning spells by 10%, and can have 5 points allocated (from 8).
- Arcanist grants 3% fire resistance and lightning resistance (from 4 elemental protection).
- Ceraunomancer grants 3% shock chance (from 2%).
- Elemental Ascendance grants 2% elemental resistance (from 5% increased elemental protection) and grants 8% increased stun chance (from 5%).
- Pyromancer grants 3% ignite chance (from 2%).
- Rift Bolt, Chill to the Bone, and Lavamancer grant 3% penetration and 0.3% leech (from 40 penetration and 0.2% leech).
Primalist and Masteries Passives
- Shaman’s Mastery Bonus now grants +50% elemental resistance while you have a totem (from 100% increased elemental protection while you have a totem).
- Avian Shelter grants you 2% glancing blow chance (from 5%), it still grants minions 5%.
- Blood Claws grants 2% physical leech (from 1.5%) and grants 1% physical penetration (from 15 armour penetration).
- Briarguard grants twice as much armour, but no longer grants protections.
- Primal Shifter grants 25% all resistance (from 50 armour and protections).
- Protective Circle grants 3% elemental and physical resistance (from 5 elemental, necrotic, void, and poison protection).
- Natural Duality grants 30 armour (from 15 armour and protections).
- Shamanic Infusion now grants physical, cold, and lightning penetration to you and your minions (from cold and lightning protection).
- Silent Protector grants 25 armour per point (from 10 armour and protections).
- Storm Bringer grants 5% lightning resistance for you and minions (from 5 lightning protection).
- Turtle Form grants 50 armour (from 25 armour and protections).
- Woodlore grants 5% poison resistance, but no longer grants health or poison protection.
Sentinel and Masteries Passives
- The Forge Guard mastery bonus now grants 30% physical and fire resistance (from 30% more armour and fire protection).
- Divine Essences increase armour by 10% (from armour and protections).
- Abyssal Endurance grants 10 health and 4% void resistance (from 7 health and 15 void protection).
- Holy Symbol grants 7 health and 7% necrotic resistance (from 7 elemental and necrotic protection).
- Rallying Block grants 15 armour (from 10 armour and elemental resistance).
- Singular Purpose gives 5% void resistance (from 10% increased void protection).
- Staunch Defender grants 2 adaptive spell damage while using a shield (from 50 fire protection while using a shield).
- Woe grants increased void damage (from void protection).
Monolith of Fate
- When a monolith echo contains Soul Cages or Soul Wardens it contains fewer of them so fewer spawn together.
- When a monolith echo contains Lightning Elementals or Voidfused Armors fewer spawn at once.
- When a monolith echo contains Ice Goliaths it contains fewer of them so fewer spawn together.
- The damage over time effects in the boss arena for the Fall of the Outcasts timeline now dissipate after the boss dies.
- The Deadly if not Damaged Recently monolith mod can no longer roll in the Fall of the Outcasts timeline.