Beastmaster Feedback (Week 1)

to begin, the Beastmaster wasn’t my first character choice in general, but was definitely the first primalist class i was interested in. i like pets.
my philosophy going into the primalist was pretty simple and straightforward: as many pets as fit on my bar is how many i will summon.
initially, of course, this was only the wolf and a cat, but once i had completed the story and done a bit of monolith grinding, i was sitting on 2 wolves, 1 cat, 1 raptor, 1 very large scorpion, 3 baby scorpions, and i felt inclined to go deep enough into the druid tree to put a spriggan behind them for support. and so it is the summons i will be primarily discussing in this primalist post.

the wolves: pretty useless on its own for damage, even after getting it to full build it was just a buff for the other pets, once i had two it was just two buffs for the other pets and more stacks of bleed to feed to my raptor, and poison just in general. also there seems to be a bit of desperation to make wolf pack an attractive option, since not only is there a talent for it, but 2 different unique necklaces that allow you to summon wolves up to your cap. while this was fine for me since i eventually got to the 6 pet cap, and therefore had an open slot, 6 wolves would never be better than the lowest amount of wolves possible and 4 of any other pet. an alternative to this passive would be: summon wolf now summons twice as many wolves (extra wolves not counting against pet cap) thus allowing 12 wolves, which would in fact be worthwhile.

the cat: nice damage, nice ability, pretty redundant talent options though. right off the main node you can give it’s melee attacks a 33% chance to bleed, but only 2 or so nodes south of that you can give its melee attacks… a 50% chance to bleed. I’m unsure how these stack, or if each attack has an individual 33 and 50% chance to apply two different stacks of bleed. it is unclear. also I’ll say it here: but all the talents that reduce the cooldown/ mana cost of summoning your pet is worthless, since they should have been summoned before you got into a fight, and if they die they get downed and aren’t re-summonable. a good alternative would be to just make it affect the cooldown/ mana cost of both their summon AND skill. if i could get free howls on half the cd, free swipes on half the CD, etc. it would certainly be a decision for me to labor over.

the raptor: definitely what any bleed related build has to focus on, but there needs to be more clarity on 2 things: what does 200% bleed chance mean, and can we make the evolved form look different so we can know if/ when it actually happened?

the scorpion: the baby scorpion tree has some redundancy in the talent that allows babies to be summoned on ability cast, as it doesn’t increase the cap and so does basically nothing after 30 seconds have passed from the time of summoning the big scorpion. also, the ironclad talent that gives 15 base physical damage but prevents the scorpion from applying poison needs to be more clear, as there is a beastmaster talent on the passive tree that gives all pets a 50% chance to poison on hit, and i need to know if this affects big scorpion or not with ironclad on.

The bear (and why i don’t use it): short form answer: it’s bleed build is mediocre, and i veiw the talent that turns it into a ranged pet as a huge nerf, as it puts more enemies outside of it’s taunt range, and makes it less likely to get hit in general, and therefore less retaliation triggers.

the spriggan (and why i do use it): it has an 80% damage buff aura for my other pets, keeps their health bars full at all times, and can do 200% more damage to bleeding targets (which is every target), no brainer option for a beastmaster build, but i wish i didn’t have to burn 15 points in the druid tree to get it (technically i only had to put 10 points, but the druids get a passive that boosts minion physical damage i.e bleeds, so i finished that off and played around with maybe being a spriggan myself, but that wasn’t nearly as good)

Addendum:
something i forgot to mention in the above post was this: since i decided to run 5 pets, i lacked the ability to trigger any of the aspect passives, which was upsetting to me once i reached the point where i could access the aspect of the serpent, which would have been a great boon to my build. i don’t want to be shoehorned into a hybrid pet/melee build just to get an aspect which should be triggerable by my pets, that’s like asking me to nerf myself to get a buff to make up for the nerf, and also puts my character in more direct danger as all my gear has minion health/damage, and therefore makes me a squishy boi.

Means 2 stacks if bleed on the enemy per hit

You haven’t done poison wolves then… Big big damage :slight_smile:

in fairness, this is my week 1 review, i intend to play around with other builds once i have at least 1 of each class through the story.
also just because wolves have one viable build doesn’t mean that should be the only build that is viable.

Define viable. You said you finished all the content with them that qualifies? Every build is viable but some do more dps I was saying since you said there damage sucked poison can do morr

The reason it’s an option is because with all the pets you listed you have no options for offense besides pets. With a wolf pack, you still have other options. Poison being OP aside, this opens up lots of potential that you wouldn’t otherwise see in a full pet lineup. Add a bear to tank at high level and you got a solid frontline to keep you safe to spam abilities. Otherwise you just run around hoping your pets can kill everything before you die.

I personally really like to play the Beastmaster as hybrid pet/melee. I went with serpent strike, which has the ability to spawn a serpent companion (a big snake).

I’ve not completed the story, yet, but I have a lot of fun with Wolfes, Raptor, Leap, Frenzy Totem and Serpent strike. Even before getting the raptor I was very satisfied with damage output from wolves only (I think it’s 4 :thinking:). I like the playstyle that much that I built a Minion Lich to try to get a similar flow going. But it’s not the same :grin:

not to make light of your enjoyment of the game, which is certainly important, but i’m pretty sure a build would have to actively be suicidal to not be viable for the story levels, at the current point in the games history, half of the leveling experience takes place in the story, while the other half is in monoliths/ the arena where things scale way faster than you do, and right now, anything that has to rely on pets isn’t making it very high on the leaderboard (and are on there at all by the merit of there not being that many people actually trying)

I’ve leveled a dozen characters through the story so far, experimenting with different attempts in playstyle and skill combinations. There was big differences in terms of leveling speed and survivability. There are builds that really struggle even in mid story levels. Some builds are item dependent and only start working with certain item/skill/passive setup. Take a aura of decay Lich for example. Without proper gear you can’t sustain the poison effect on self. And it’s a pain to level with this build (even before the AoD nerf/patch with the last patch)

Another example is going for a warpath build on a Sentinel right from the start. Or try to level with a mage without using flame ward. (This skill is absolutely mandatory for Spellblade and sorcerer).

So there are skill combinations that are best for leveling on every class. And there are a few that don’t work. Choosing you first 3 skills you specialize in is a very important decision. Sure, when you are following a guide or already know the classes, it’s not that big of a deal. When you want to be effective you take these strong skills and skill for a “story” build to get through as smooth as possible. After the story you switch your skill loadout and passives to the planned build.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.