Are there too many resistance stats?

Are empowered timelines (& masochist mode) insufficient?

Edit: I’ve never tried either of them.

Well while machoist is a chosen difficulty, that is no “endgame” difficulty for me, since it’s like a whole other gamemode from the get-go. I jsut want more “scaling content”

The currently available empowered timelines are very cool, but they are not nearly as hard as the base 100 timeline, whiel also being lvl 100.
Also the quest echoes pop at the same echo count as the normal verisons, which makes finishing the lvl 100 empowered timelines pretty quick and easy, which seems wrong to me.

But well that is going a bit off-topic here

sure, lets make some simple laymans model. I try to mention the simplifications.
It is just to get a rough idea of the numbers, not a guide.

assuming the numbers on lastepochtools are somewhat correct
then we have for T5 rolls:

75 flat HP
12% increased HP
32% single resistance ( accounts for 1 of 7 )
20% ele resistance (accounts for 3 of 7, so 60% total)
to keep things simple we ignore set resistance stuff and assume we have a mixed bag of ele and single resistance so we have to average.
we could average “50/50” but we can only cover 3/7 with the stronger ele resist rolls and 4/7 with the single resist roles. So we average with weightings 3/7 and 4/7:
(60% * 3/7 + 32% * 4/7) = 44%
(edit I did an error here before: I wrote 40% due to wrong calculation of the average, subsequent stuff is now correctd for “44% average resistance contribution per T5 roll”)

Its reasonable to assume that those T5 rolls relative to each other are not arbitrary and imbalanced but at least somewhat reflect the typical balance values in the game.

So with the above values we can make a simple model to transfer resistance to Health and check what happens to our effective HP.

So we have a budget of 7x75% resistance and to keep things simple we assume we can shift half of it to flat Health and the other half (hence /2 in the equations) of our budget to %Health:

So for our budget we get
7x75%/44% /2 * 75 = 447 flat HP
and we get
7x75%/44% /2 * 12 = 72 % Health
Bold numbers are from the T5 health rolls (see above)

with the health at 7x75% capped resistance being
Health@75res = b(1+i)
with b the base health (vitality, levels,…) and i all increased modifiers.

The Health with zero resistance but instead the above calculated additional amount of flat health and increased health:
Health@0res = (b + 447) (1 + i + 0.72 )

With 0 resist we get like 75% more damage assuming high enough monster level and ignoring additional shreds debuffs.

So to get the breakpoints we have to ask when the following equation holds:
Health@75res = Health@0res / 1.75
b (1 + i) = (b + 447) (1 + i + 0.72) / 1.75
introducing shorthand C and solve for b gives:
C = (1 + i + 0.72) / 1.75
b = 447 C / (1 + i - C)

We only accept solutions with b>0 and i>0, obviously.

(edit: There is always a solution now (compared to when I used 40% for the resistance T5 roll) even for i=0.)
With i=0.3 we get b=3541 (thats a total health@75res of b(1+ i) = 4603 … lol :slight_smile: )
with i=0.9 we get b=1661 (thats a total health@75res of b (1+i) = 3156 )

(edit: i guess 90% increased Health while also at 7x75% resis is “a little bit” unrealistic tho)

So with this laymans model you would need a little bit more than …
types in calculator…
… a shitload of health before health becomes less worth than the resistance…

3 Likes

Not gonna pretend to understand the math, but you took up Llama’s challenge beautifully. Well done sir, well done.

No worries the first line of calculations was already wrong …

Where there is now a 44% there was a 40% (no clue what I did there)
I corrected the rest. Numbers are quite different now but still insane.

ok, you are now officially Khastro_Da_Professor :crazy_face:

and my brain hurts on a Sunday morning…

So the tl;dr is that stacking hp up to 3k is more efficient than capping res? Intriguing. Res are not depletable though, wich makes them functionally better than hp, but still… How would these numbers change with a higher maximum resistance cap or with higher average value of the resistance affixes?

Yes and no.

Its a simple model to start with, however there are so much more things to consider.

Like you said: the depletion: If you have not enough overheal, going more HP will hurt your relative health recovery where you relative effectiveHP recovery does not change if you go for resistance instead.
I think HP sustain/recovery is a very crucial point in last epoch at the moment.

The model ignores set resistance which are prefixes.
Because then it gets really complicated and you will trade different kind of stats, sometimes offensive stats for set-resistance.
No easy answer there, too.

The model ignores that you will often get resistance from somewhere anyways. So you will end up with a certain distribution of resistances in the first place.
If you take the “I may get ever type of damage in this map/arena” approach, then your EHP is only as good as your lowest resistance.
Then, if you have - for example - one resistance falling behind, pushing that resistance will be roughly 7 times as good. Without doing the math I’m pretty sure that it’s best to raise that resistance to make your different resistances more equal.

Then again, things change completely if you know that in a certain “map”/monolith you will mainly get one type of damage.
This again multiplies the “value” of this resistance by 7. More realistically it would be 2 resistances (e.g. physical + X) so the factor of improvement would be 3.5 compared to a situation where you think you can receive any type of damage.
If you only expect two types of damage I assume (I havent done the math) that it would be a lot more efficient to go for 2x75% + 5x0% resistance and as much Health or other defense as you can get for lowering the 5 unneeded resistances.

For me its too early to say that resistance rolls are too low generally.
What is certainly true is that there is no automatism to cap them like in other games.
This was inteded I think, so thats not bad.

2 Likes

I very much appreciate your maths, however I’d like to see you & raise you with some reality (in a nice way 'cause I just realised that might sound a bit ****y). :wink:

But is it possible to get that much % inc health? You can get 5% on gloves/boots/belt from the hybrid hp affix (for +15%), 12% (t5 max roll) on helm & belt and 18% on chest from the “of the Ox” suffix for 42%. This gives a total of 57% icreased health rather than your 90%…

For flat health (“of life”), you can get +75 on a helm/belt/boots/gloves/2x rings/relic, +88 on an amulet & +112 on the chest armour. You can also get it on the shield, but lastepochtools.com doesn’t want to say how much, som quick crafting in-game says +75 for the max roll… So that’s 8x 75 + 88 + 112 = 800 hp. Now, you get 900 base hp (no points in vit, starting hp is 100 + 8hp per level), so the max hp you could get (from gear) is (900 + 800) * 1.57 = 2,669 (+/- 8 because I can’t be arsed checking whether you get 8hp for lvl 1).

Further, this will only “cost” 13 suffixes of the 20 that we have. Allowing us to take some resists… :wink:

Edit: I also forgot that the hybrid hp affix (of the giant) gives flat hp as well! 3x 68 to be precise = 204. This then gives 900 + 800 + 204 = 1,904 x 1.57 = 2,989 hp from gear.

Edit #2: I do feel a bit guilty with the above, I asked you for some simple maths, whch you did & then I say that that’s not what can happen in-game, I feel a bit mean…

2 Likes

You are right. Those are further shortcommings of the model and considering the actual individual affixes will lead to much more accurate results, but, of course, it also gets more complicated :nerd_face:

edit:

Maybe this is a missunderstanding: It is 72% not 90%.
[of course, still, 72% is larger than the 57% you got when considering individual affixes, whereas I just simplified that and assumed I could always transfer resistance to health as much as I want, which is not true of course]

The 90% i wrote in the brackets at the end of my post refer to the i=0.9 example calculation: There I assumed out of thin air that I have a toon sitting at 7x75% resistance with already an amount of 90% increased health (which is ridiculous ofc). And then calculated how much base health (before increase) that toon would need to have to make going for resistance equally good as going for health.
I admit its not really a good example calculation. It was just to show the scaling of the formula (i didnt want to plot something) Maybe just ignore it and stick with the 30% (i=0.3) example one line above. There on assumes the toons sits at 30% increased Health (e.g. 10% from tree and 20% from idols, while also being at 7x75% res) and then asks for the base Health b such that the “breakpoint-equation” holds.

1 Like

Man, things really changed with this resistance shake up. Awesome maths guys. Trying to learn this sort of thing currently. Keep it up!

Yes, which is why I felt a bit guilty because you did do what I asked…

Thanks a lot for your very insightful answer. So much to think about for me. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

But on the other hand GD provides more opportunities to cap resistances: resistances on gear, components, augments and devotions.

It’s good that in LE passives in masteries now grants valuable resistances but not sure if it will be easy to cap it for end game.

While GD has more different sources of resistances, i think LE still has an easier time to cap resistances. (Also LE has blessings on top of gear, which are all extremely strong)

TBH i am too lazy to do a exact research on this and it might be a wrong perception from me.

I meant teh total amount of available sources(and their value) against the amount of total resistances needed.

Some stuff is kinda hard to compare because some systems are different in those games.

But in LE i always have the feeling of having not to deal with that much resistance on my gear and still capping easily.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.