Adding + damage of different type to skill/spell doesnt make sense

For example many weapons have + phys damage on it.
What that mean for lighting skill for example?
Its now also benefit from increased physical damage?
But skill tag remains the same: lightning.
Is skill doing hybrid light/phys damage in this case?
Or all damage is lightning?
Its very confusing.

It depends on which type of damage conversion (if any) there is. If there were no damage conversion (or base damage conversion), then yes, adding flat physical damage to a skill would mean that you could increase the physical damage the skill does by getting some +% increased physical damage. If the skill had full damage conversion to lightning, then the physical damage would be converted to lightning & would not, therefore, benefit from +% increased physical damage affixes/passives.

The skill tags only affect the base damage of a skill. So if a skill has multiple elemental tags (that apply at the same time, ie, not like Elemental Nova or Tempest Strike) then that generally means that the skill’s base damage is split evenly between the damage types.

I think he’s talkind about added dmg not %dmg increases. Take Lightning Strike as an Example… deals lightning dmg but what happens with the base phys dmg on the weapon or if it has +4 phys dmg and +7 fire dmg.
Afaik added bonus (like +X dmg) ist just added to the base dmg the skill does and that’s it. So far we only see the dmg of our basic attacks on the char screen but after adding some dmg, even non skill element typical dmg, increases the skill dmg overall as it seems. I don’t have proof for it, it’s just an observation.

I believe that the flat damage is added to the base, but it retains it’s element so adding flat fire damage to a Lightning skill will increase the damage but the fire damage it will only be increased by the relevant modifiers (ie, the fire damage wouldn’t be increased by % increased lightning damage).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.