07.10 Devouring Orb - Robot Vacuum Cleaner VK

oh no, what have i been doing with my life?

Heya thanks!
I’ve just updated most of OP with updates for 7.10

The main additions are:
Inevitable revamp of gear mods for the new resists
Added armor shred (gloves & amu) and some crit chance

Changed Dev orb to include maxed Cosmic Impact (this would have prevented me so much frustration due to low dmg in 7.9 tbh)

I need to upload new vids, more to come

3 Likes

Was getting a little bored with my VK Rive build… might see if I can rework it to this one now that you updated it :wink:

1 Like

I’ve got a VK caster with a slightly different take on Devouring Orbs (way, way more orbs). I’ll probably do a build guide for it “soon”.

Not to steal anything from Zaen’s thread.

2 Likes

Oh well i had a nice streak that couldnt just be stopped

Happy to settle at 200+ for now as it proves the foundations of the build

1 Like

Well over 200 waves is a solid achievement mate (after they reworked the arena in 0.7.9 I think).

never understood Arena end-game but I have attempted it enough times to know 223 is a damn fine run that I will probably never get to, even if I used a carbon copy of your build…

gratz.

Thanks both,
to answer to vapour:
well i kinda the same feelings for arena heh, it becomes a bit stupid after a while, too much kiting, it can get incredibly laggy, a serious attempt takes 1h+ (i’m always bored at w150ish).

The only good thing i can think of is that it’s some benchmark and it shows when some mobs are broken both in dmg numbers or if they cause performance lag, and the same for builds it outlines broken ones

Btw about devorbs I think that these make arena easier than normal as it is almost tailored for the kiting style needed at higher waves:
it shoots while moving,
it hits that little farther than melee contact, also while the char itself is moving,
it deals extra void rifts kill (that help making chainkills)

Just uploaded the raw clip, that i’ll put in the OP

Cant believe I just watched 20minutes of a guy kiting around mobs! I need to get a life…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great run… I just dont have the patience for it… :wink:

Thanks for this build. It is so marvelous. I’ve been really unlucky crafting amulet so I am still useing amulet from set. But even tho I am doing empowered timeliness easilly. Don’t have patience for arena :wink:
One question tho - is future strike node from VK passives really worth those 10 points? It is only 50 dmg strike. Maybe better to take Umbrall attunement? It is at the same level as Future strike.

If you’re using Devouring Orb, you’re getting a lot of hits, all of which proc Future Strike, and if you’ve got a pack of mobs that get hit 5 times from your DO, all of those mobs will get 5 stacks of Future Strike.

Plus if you’re a Void Knight, you’re probably getting a lot of +% void damage which will buff Future Strike (my Void Knight caster was getting ~400 damage from a Future Strike hit).

TLDR - If you have a lot of fast AoE hits, Future Strike is awesome.

Ty :slight_smile: Wasn’t sure how it works. Still new to game and learning :slight_smile:

Hi there,
this build seems like a lot of fun, but I am unsure about few things:

• Just hit lvl 35 (was leveling with pure physical Warpath) and I would like to transition into this. Is it possible, or do I need to hit higher level?
  • What stats should I focus the most to increase damage? It’s kind of a mystery to me. Is this pure void damage build? I see a lot of flat physical modifiers in your gear planner, but majority of the damage comes from Devouring orb, which is pure void? Does physical damage even matter at all? Should I focus on flat void/% void/flat physical or % physical?
  • Should I try to maximize crit damage, or it’s completely useless for this build?
  • Does throwing damage do anything for this build?
  • If I were to use Erasing strike, how should I spec it? Also is the gearing the same with Erasing strike, or does it change?

thank you very much in advance

That shouldn’t be a problem.

This is a hybrid build (unlike mine which is pure caster) which is getting damage from both melee & DO (hence the Forgotten Knight sword. This means that all of the flat & % physical benefits Vengeance, however the only flat physical is coming from the sword. % Void would be more useful as it would buff Devouring Orb as well as Vengeance.

It’s not useless but it’s also not exactly a focus for the build (though the VK does get a lot of crit multi which is why he’s putting crit chance where he can).

No, because he’s not using any throwing skills (Shield Throw & Hammer Throw). You could switch in one of those for shield bash, but it would likely be worse since you’d have no flat throwing damage so it wouldn’t hit for much.

The gearing would be the same, how to spec the skill depends on what you want to use it for (I’m not really a fan of this skill though).

Thank you very much for the answer. I am still a little unsure about the damage part. I assume since majority of the damage comes from Devouring Orb, why not just use staves and wands that add spell adaptive damage rather than swords with flat physical? Physical damage only affects Vengeance, no? And Vengeance doesn’t rly do much damage, as author himself said it’s mainly to gain mana and for buffs. So why invest so heavily into physical damage?

I originally wanted my VK to feel like playing melee character, since I already have Glacier mage, but I am finding out that it feels more like playing a caster. I wanted to take the Erasing strike to get that “melee feeling”, but if it’s not viable for endgame then I don’t know what other melee skill to take :frowning: Is there some similar build, that is viable for endgame and is more melee oriented? :slight_smile:
thanks a lot a sry for nooby questions, I am still very new to the game

It’s not particularly invested in physical damage though. The sword has physical damage as an implicit, but that’s about it. A staff would be better for offence (which is what I used with my build), but you couldn’t then use a shield. You could otherwise use either a wand or a sceptre instead if you wanted to go one-handed.

I think you can do good things with Erasing Strike. @Boardman21 recently posted something with Erasing Strike I think.

Just saw it, thanks :slight_smile: might give it a shot, need to find out though if its something u can level up with as well, or if its only doable for endgame/or if u have those special idols.

No, the idols just give it more damage.

Heya going for a semi necro reply.
I did post about the weird “melee or spell?” dilemma on VK quite some time ago (actually 1 year ago Feedback on 0.7.4 and VK from current "highest" Voidknight).

Things are mutiple:

• The harder content you push (broken arena levels) the more you levitate towards going ranged and kiting to never get touched a single time
  • VK skill distribution is weird, it has a native melee void dmg bonus but more than half the skills are actually scaling with spell dmg and attunement → void rifts from all skills, dev orbs, void echos, void lasers (did you know erasing strike shoots lasers?). What this means is that you want to have sceptres or that unique sword for adaptative spell damage that is like free damage from all void skills procs like rifts echos etc.
  • Erasing Strike i played it A LOT but in the end it kinda sucks. You spend too much mana while infinite cast Rive/Vengeance of current patches can probably outdps it. The more damage you add in the ES skill tree the more mana you spend, the tree’s basically got a lot of “non-bonus damage” (because you deal more damage but also spend more mana :psyduck: so it’s got a bunch wasteful skill points). Also half tree is unusable (onkill stuff) or even scales with spell dmg: laser branch which is very funny but yet again tranforms the VK into a caster
  • Devouring orb + Cosmic Impact (15base void on contact) + Future Strike (50 base void) is so good and flexible. Cosmic Impact deals damage on touch/contact, so it’s a melee-ish spell in this configuration.
    If you add Abyssal Emissions (shoots orbs at range) it’s even more Future strikes now with ranged aoe.
  • About weapon, due to the mixed hybrid mentioned above, the sword is the best of both worlds, with scepters coming close second. You can try the other weapon types, but to lose the adaptative spell or the flat dmg you disable your VK’s melee or spell side respectively

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.