0.7.9 Bone Curse Feedback

Maybe my build is just bad for Bone Curse, dunno, but i feel like the scaling is off anyway.

I have like 1000-1500% global damage increase with my main build and do like 40-300 damage with bone curse, depending on the MoF level and area. Self-Triggered Damage.

Not sure how low the base damage is, but it is insanely low.

But i can understand this skill CAN be good and usefull for some builds, but from my experience the only scaling that works for endgame is with the AMOUNT of hits you can trigger, not the base damage at all.

Yes, currently Bone Curse acts like a DoT, you want as many hits per second to proc it as much as possible.

They could tweak a node, possibly Oppressive Gaze to do significantly more base damage, but then they’d need to put in a cooldown on the maximum frequency that it hits. I think Oppressive Gaze would probably be a good place to do that since it’s single target only so it won’t nuke the entire screen. Then you could either change Oppressive Gaze to reapply Bone Curse by itself every 0.x - 1 second to limit the damage from fast hitting skills or minion builds.

Or, allow Signet of Agony to re-apply Bone Curse to the single target if Oppressive Gaze is taken but at a reduced rate.

Base damage, attack speed, and cast speed are always the best ways to scale a build’s overall damage. Are you using a high level staff?

For reference, here is my build against the dummy. You can see the damage increases in the stats are not that high (outside the intelligence). Rip blood does almost no damage. Bone curse does 10-15x the damage of rip blood.

Gif: https://imgur.com/c58mVdD

1 Like

As i already mentioned, currently my build is using Bone Curse more for utility/applying different things like MfD, Bone Armor and 18% Kill Threshold, so i don’t expect it to do very much damage at all, but still it’s underwhelming.

My build is a Melee Low Life Lich, but all of the low life stuff is global anyway, so i have almost the same amount of damage for all different damage types(likespell damage).

I don’t have any adaptive spell damage, in case that was your question for the staff.

But hitting for 10-30k with Harvest while Bone Curse is doing like a few hundred damage at it’s maximum just seems senseless to scale much more.

I can arrange with it, that my build is not “the best build” to fully abuse Bone Curse, but it’s just senseless for scale any damage for my build. For my particular example buffing bone curse would not even make it remotely too strong or OP, but as i said i can understand that tweaking or changing certai nstuff can make other stuff interacting with it broken AF.

Are you using a melee weapon or a staff? Bone curse is a spell and will scale with adaptive damage. If you use a melee weapon it won’t do any damage.

Just saw your note about adaptive damage. Yes. That’s why it does no damage for you.

That’s your problem. Bone Curse is a spell with 20% added damage effectiveness, if you chose to go the melee route & have no flat spell damage, that’s why it hits like a wet noodle.

1 Like

Well that might be the problem ok, i don’t have much experience with spell casters tbh, i know that adaptive spell damage is really important but i still assumed with over 1k global damage that the “spell” will deal at least some damage.

With that new thought in mind maybe they could add a node that woudl allow bone curse to scale of melee weapon a little bit? I really enjoy the Melee Lich playstyle and bone curse is a nice addition to the kit.

Thanks for all your input anyways @Flintler @Llama8

1 Like

It’s the same as melee though mate. If you’re still using a wand with no added melee damage, your Harvest isn’t going to do as anywhere near much damage as it would with Deicide Sword (53 melee phys damage) & a t7 melee phys prefix (30-35 damage).

Yeah i mean, i understand that, it’s totally valid and a big balancing thing. I maybe just misjudgded the effect of adaptive spell damage, but for example Death Wave from Death Seal is doing murderous amounts of damage.

Maybe i should try the build with a staff, sacrificing a bit of harvest damage, but gaining tons more for bone curse and Death Wave.

Wave of Death has 300% added damage effectiveness, gains 20% more damage per second you’ve been “sealed” (so up to 160% more damage for the final hit if you’ve taken 3 points in Moratorium) & 1% more damage per 1% of missing health. So if you’ve taken the Deadlock node & are at 33% health that’s another 66% more damage modifier without even putting any points in any nodes that increase it’s damage!

Heaven forbid you use it with a staff & maybe some adaptive spell damage on your armour.

Edit: Though fortunately it’s only the Mage/Primalist that get the adaptive spell damage on chest/helm.

That is literally useless because i don’t have any added spell damage :smiley:

But i know where you want to go with this. Death Seal and Death Wave are skills specificlly made for dealing good damage, they is not much other use for that skill, basically everything in that skill spec tree is related t odamage, whiel bone curse from it’s nature is a very utility based skill.

All the “more” damage multiplier are good, but i guess it would explode pretty much when i swapped to a staff, all of the sudden my death seal/deaht wave would do the majority of the damage, instead of harvest

@Heavy I’m assuming that the “on hit” node would not apply to minions in a minion build am I correct?

Currently running Bone curse with a wraiths Necro build and it’s a huge dps increase, but I did not take the crit/on hit combo expecting it to only work for the character and my guy doesn’t ever touch mobs, just rip blood my minions and curse/shade.

Cursed Limbs does only work on player hits, but you could probably take Cursed Ground to reapply Bone Curse for 5s after cast with the minions proccing the massive damage from Illusion of Pain.

Interesting idea! Using it for my pet build and having no direct attacks myself, I find that I have 2-3 “floater” points at Skill level 20 to play with.

Proccing armor feels unnecessary due to having armor per minion node in the mastery tree. Slow isn’t really needed and neither is MoD because idols take care of that.

i’ll give your suggestion a go and see what it looks like.

No I have not tried it Llama8.

And another thing to whinge about with Bone Curse as an aura, the skill applies it’s cost when you turn it on and off! That’s a bit harsh!

1 Like

Here is an example of bone curse being way too overtuned as it is right now.
As for the mana cost on aura, it is a bit harsh to spend 30 mana just to toggle it on and off while still losing 15 mana per second

Perhaps putting a rate limiter on the maximum reapplication speed of Cursed Limbs would be a good idea?

Additionally, I wuld probably tweak Crimson Enlightenment to add a chance for the player’s hits to proc Rip Blood, say 10% chance with a cooldown of 1-2s then add a node behind it that increases the chance of proccing it every time you fail to proc it and potentially reduces the cooldown to, say 0.5s.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.