0.7.10 Paladin - Musings on Shield Throw

but the spell damage is only added to Eruption on Shield Throw and Smite not the hit damage of Shield Throw. On the other hand, % ele damage can increase hit damage of Shield Throw so maybe you’re both using spell build with eruption?

I am stacking Throwing Attack Damage (500%+) & spell damage (edit with Fire Damage 200%+). After much messing around I use a wand and shield setup with 0 basic attack damage. Eruption is a secondary node for me as I found it is just about useless when you cannot ricochet with bosses (even with RoS & Aegis node). Smite & Holy Aura obviously gets spell damage improvements.

1 Like

Thanks @Cujo, I’am glad you like it !

I’am indeed currently using a version that emphasize spell damage a bit more (Eruption node + DPS nodes on Smite). I think even on non spell version Eruption is worth it as it contributes to a lot of “hit” for your various ailments (Armor Shred, Ignite, Frailty, …), and it still does a bit of damage.

Eruption is useless on boss and pure single target, but those situation are -at least for me- super rare, so I think it’s a really low opportunity cost to take it.

I’ve not tried the Iron Scepter, but if you’re using the Holy Precision passive from the paladin tree and/or +Throwing Weapon Crit affixs on chest/helm, I think a Raider Axe with 5% crit chance is probably better if you want to go for a non spell weapon.

That’s not quite true. If you hit a target you always get an Eruption, so taking Eruption will double the hits you get. And since there are no weapons that have an implicit for throwing attacks, you might as well go with a secpter as you can then take the Mail Crusher node for 12% increased damage (all damage, up to 10 points) or if you’re not going for Eruption damage go Axe with a Raider Axe as you say for the global crit chance & the Blademaster node (6% global attack speed, up to 10 points).

If you’re going for the Eruption (spell) damage, I’m not sure if the increase you get from a wand (50-65 adaptive spell damage from a Prophecy wand) is better than the slightly lower damage you get from a sceptre (up to 55 adaptive spell damage, plus up to 120% increased global damage).

If you’re only taking Eruption for a second hit per throw then an axe is probably best due to the base crit chance and attack speed buff you can get.

Yeah, “useless” was an over exageration !

Last time I checked it was 5 points :).

Totally agree with you though !

1 Like

Ah, Blademaster & Mail Crusher have differing numbers of points…

The more I play the spell heavy version, the more I like it. Feels smoother, and it let us play with the Spell Damage Leeched as Health blessing. Will probably try to emphasize this variation more in the future :).

1 Like

Same for me… Just seems to feel better…

So you’re taking all the node for eruption in Shield Throw with spell build?

Yes, that’s what I was doing in my last arena run, and still doing right now :).

Does Shield Throw benefit from Attack Speed increase? I thought only Throwing Attack speed increase affects it.

It benefits both from “Increased Attack Speed” and “Throwing Attack Speed”.

1 Like

what stats do you use for the shield?

% Block Chance, Reduced Damage Taken on Block are mandatory for me, rest is up to preference.

1 Like

Are you using the % more dmg / sacrifice life nodes on smite? I’m running the spell version with 4 smite cast idols and i find that when i get a lucky streak of procs my health dips a lot more than I’d like.

My only leech is 2.5% spell leech from blessing so IDK if more leech on gear would solve this or not. I haven’t really died from it yet but I also haven’t tried pushing arena too much.

Yeah, if you use the Sacrifice node your hp does become quite bouncy, though this is mitigated by taking the subsequent node which reduces the hp used and leech. IMO, the damage increase is just too good to not use Sacrifice.

During my last run I didn’t use it. I’am sitting at nearly 4k HP, so even a small % is quite a big number. And when you’re proc’ing a dozen of time per second in a big pack in high arena, it’s kinda dangerous.

For any other content, I would run it though !

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.